2 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Hide contents

Moonrise Kingdom
written by: Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola 
directed by: Wes Anderson
starring: Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand

moonrise-kingdom-international-poster-sl

Number of first-place votes: 1

IMDB synopsis: A pair of young lovers flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out to find them.

As has become his custom, Wes Anderson assembled his usual group of collaborators — most of the principal roles here were filled by actors who’d worked with Anderson on numerous productions. The movie was shot on Super 16mm and film on location on and around Rhode Island. It premiered at the Cannes Film Festival — a first for a Wes Anderson film. Produced on a modest 16 million budget, the movie had a very successful run, grossing over 68 million worldwide.

Tomato meter: 94%, 8.2/10 average rating
Academy Awards: 0 wins, 1 nominations

Random critic comment: “Anderson's best feature since Rushmore, in part because, like that film, it takes as its primary subject matter odd, precocious children, rather than the damaged and dissatisfied adults they will one day become.” —Christopher Orr, The Atlantic

Random RTM comment: “Anderson's best movie after Rushmore and Mr. Fox.” —@Jake Gittes

One of the dumbest movies pf 2012.

37 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Idk man, the dude has an odd style that I don't think I'll vibe with. I prefer David Lynch type of weirdness.

Youre right. Most of his films are way too quirky. Avoid them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Speed Racer is the best movie of 2008.

Never has more truth been spoken on this thread.

• Like 1

Moon Rise and Cloud Atlas are both worthy films. I prefer Budapest to Moonrise but it's still a solid Anderson flick. 

Cloud Atlas is just all sorts of awesome - but as the write up says, you either love it or you hate it.

Speed Racer is trash - crashed and burned deservedly so.

38 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

By default, the best director in Hollywood with surname Anderson is Paul W. S. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027271/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

I ain't even joking, I find the other two that bad. 

I disagree only because I enjoy Wes' films... PTA though can in general burn on the pile of overrated tripe.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

By default, the best director in Hollywood with surname Anderson is Paul W. S. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027271/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

I ain't even joking, I find the other two that bad. 

Look, I'm not here to say you're wrong and should feel bad... but you're wrong and should feel bad.

10 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Speed Racer is trash - crashed and burned deservedly so.

You too.

• Like 6

Let's get back to this.

Lincoln
written by: Tony Kushner, based in part on the book by Doris Kearns Goodwin
directed by: Steven Spielberg
starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, David Strathairn

0*GcUkDOdMiJot-bv1.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 0

IMDB synopsis: As the Civil War continues to rage, America's president struggles with continuing carnage on the battlefield as he fights with many inside his own cabinet on the decision to emancipate the slaves.

This project began in 1999 when Goodwin mentioned to Spielberg that she was planning on writing “Team of Rivals”, and Spielberg immediately wanted the rights. It took another two years to finalize the deal and in 2001 John Logan was brought in to write the script. His draft focused on the friendship between Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Spielberg then brought on Paul Webb (a playwright) to do another draft, with the plan to begin production in 2006. But Spielberg didn’t like the new draft (which apparently covered Lincoln’s entire term as President). So Tony Kushner came on board. He admitted he felt overwhelmed because he didn’t feel he understood Lincoln well, though he admired him tremendously. Two years later, in 2008, he was still writing. His first draft was 500 pages on, and focused on four months in Lincoln’s life. By early 2009 he had narrowed it down to two months when Lincoln was concerned with the Thirteenth Amendment.

Spielberg had approached Daniel Day-Lewis way back in 2003 but Day-Lewis turned down the role. Spielberg cast Liam Neeson in 2005, but in 2010 Neeson was dealing with the fallout of his wife’s sudden death and felt the role wasn’t a good fit for him, so he requested that he be recast. Finally, in late 2010 Spielberg convinced Day-Lewis to join. The production had a 65 million budget and was a significant hit, grossing over 180 million in the United States and 275 million worldwide.

Tomato meter: 90%, 8/10 average rating

Academy Awards: 2 wins, 12 nominations

Random critic comment: “It's the most remarkable movie Steven Spielberg has made in quite a spell, and one of the things that makes it remarkable is how it fulfills those expectations by simultaneously ignoring and transcending them.” —Glenn Kenny, MSN Movies

Random RTM comment: “A pretty marvelous achievement and Speilberg's best since Minority Report.” —@Gopher

• Like 8