3. Life of Pi

4. The Dark Knight Rises

5. Zero Dark Thirty

6. Les Miserables
7. Django Unchained

8. The Paperboy

9. The Hunger Games

10. The Avengers

Honorable mentions: Frances Ha, Passion, Safe House, Man On a Ledge, The Lorax, The Impossible, People Like Us.

There's a lot of 2012 films I still have to watch, like Lincoln, which was the only Best Picture nomination I didn't see.

• Like 1

Best 10 of 2012

Life of Pi

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Moonrise Kingdom

Looper

The Secret World of Arrietty

The Master

Lincoln

HM: Holy Motors, Skyfall, Amour, Wreck-It Ralph, Argo, The Avengers, Cabin in the Woods, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Les Miserables, The List

Edited by The Panda

Django Unchained
written and directed by: Quentin Tarantino
starring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio

django-poster.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 3

IMDB synopsis: With the help of a German bounty hunter, a freed slave sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.

As you might expect, several big names wanted to work with Tarantino on this project, but many dropped out for various reasons: Will Smith, because “it wasn’t the lead”; Tyrese Gibson; Franco Nero (the original Django) wanted to be Candie, but ended up getting just a minor role; Kevin Costner was in the mix to play Ace Woody, but he dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Tarantino then cast Kurt Russell in the role, but he dropped out as well, so finally Tarantino dropped the character entirely and merged him with Walton Goggins’ character. Frequent Tarantino collaborator RZA said that he and Tarantino had intended to cross over Django Unchained with RZA's Tarantino-presented martial-arts film The Man with the Iron Fists. The crossover would have seen a younger version of the blacksmith character from RZA's film appear as a slave in an auction. However, scheduling conflicts prevented RZA's participation.

The film was shot in anamorphic 35mm and is the first Tarantino film not be cut by his longtime collaborator, editor Sally Menke (who passed away shortly after INGLORIOUS BASTERDS). It was a huge critical success and, perhaps surprisingly, given its long runtime and extreme violence and profanity, it was a huge commercial hit as well, grossing 425 million worldwide.

Tomato meter: 88%, 8/10

Academy Awards: 2 wins, 5 nominations

Random critic comment: “Corkscrewed, inside-out, upside-down, simultaneously clear-eyed and completely out of its mind.” —Wesley Morris, Boston Globe

Random RTM comment: “I didn't expect it to make me laugh and suddenly move me to tears in the next second…” —@dashrendar44

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Reveal hidden contents

Should have been No.1 damn it! 

I love the random RTM comment from dash lol. It was how I feel as well about the movie. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

The Hunger Games

written by: Suzanne Collins, Gary Ross and Billy Ray

directed by: Gary Ross

starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Donald Sutherland

HungerGamesPoster.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 5

IMDB synopsis: Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games: a televised competition in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to fight to the death.

The Hunger Games series came out of Collins' fascination with reality television programs. She says they are like The Hunger Games because the Games are not just entertainment but also a reminder to the districts of their rebellion. On a tired night, Collins says that while she was channel-surfing the television, she saw people competing for some prize and then saw footage of the Iraq war. She described how the two combined in an "unsettling way" to create her first ideas for the series.

Color Force, an independent studio founded by producer Nina Jacobson, bought the film rights to the book. Jacobson then sought out production company Lionsgate to help her produce the film. Jennifer Lawrence beat out plenty of young actresses including Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, and Chloë Grace Moretz to get the part of Katniss Everdeen.

Tomato meter: 84% with 7.2 average

Academy Awards: 0 nominations, 0 wins.

Random critic comment: “A blockbuster that has something to say about the world we could be living in. Unlike Twilight, this film actually has a deeper and more important philosophical meaning.” – Wesley Lowell, CinemaSight

Random RTM comment: My favourite scene was the one where the games began, when the camera was going crazy and there was like, no sound. It felt really brutal without showing much. I haven't really liked any of Gary Ross's prior work but I thought that was an astounding scene. –  @CoolioD1

OKAY BITCH IT'S NOT #1 BUT IT'S IN THE TOP TEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK IT UP 

tumblr_inline_obvgimCx3y1r2ya1z_500.gif

• Like 3

This list is actually fantastic so far, really glad Perks missed the top 10. very happy Hunger Games and Jump Street made it. Lincoln is super overrated, but at least it wasn't too high. Skyfall is a little higher than I would like too, but it is easily the best Bond film.  

Edited by Kalo

14 hours ago, aabattery said:

But from my point of view it shouldn't even be on the list, let alone in the top 10.

Especially when Boy isn't even on the list fuck y'all.

Haha. 

tumblr_mm466j09ya1r9pt1so4_r1_250.gif

8 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Hunger Games ahead of The Raid, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, etc. proves we get the world we deserve.

YOU RIGHT !

tumblr_inline_oplgzbHCdC1st8or9_250.gif

Life of Pi
written by: David Magee, based on the novel by Yann Martel
directed by: Ang Lee
starring: Suraj Sharma, Irrfan Khan

life_of_pi-1.jpg

Number of first-place votes: 3

IMDB synopsis: A young man who survives a disaster at sea is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While cast away, he forms an unexpected connection with another survivor: a fearsome Bengal tiger. 

The rights to Martel’s best-selling novel were acquired by Fox 2000 exec Elizabeth Gabler in 2003. She brought in Dean Georgaris to write the script, and Fox announced shortly afterward that M. Night Shyamalan was attached to direct — he felt a particular connection because the main character (like him) was from Pondicherry in India. M. Night rewrote the script but ultimately decided to make LADY IN THE WATER instead. He felt that since the novel had a twist ending, with his name attached people would have a very different reaction and experience to the story. In 2005 Fox reached out to Alfonso Cuaron, but he decided to make CHILDREN OF MEN instead. So Fox hired Jean-Pierre Jeunet to direct (from a new script written by him and Guillaume Laurant), with filming scheduled to begin in mid-2006. But Jeunet eventually left the project as well.

In 2009, Fox hired Ang Lee. He and producer proposed a budget of 120 million, which Fox balked at, and the project’s development was halted for awhile. Then David Magee was brought on to write the script and Lee began to prep for the production. He decided to shoot it in 3-D because he felt the many water scenes would create an opportunity for the 3-D to be used in a new and fresh way: “I thought of 3-D half a year before 'Avatar' was on the screen. I thought water, with its transparency and reflection, the way it comes out to you in 3-D, would create a new theatrical experience and maybe the audience or the studio would open up their minds a little bit to accept something different."

Fox’s faith in the project and Lee himself ultimately paid off, as the movie was a surprise worldwide hit, grossing over 600 million and winning several major Academy Awards (including Best Director for Lee himself).

Tomato meter: 87%, 7.9/10 average rating

Academy Awards: 4 wins, 11 nominations

Random critic comment: “There are always moral crosscurrents in Lee's most provocative work, but so magical and mystical is this parable, it's as if the filmmaker has found the philosopher's stone.” —Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times

Random RTM comment: “I hate 3D, I consider it a headache and giant waste of time, but for this film I was actually blown away. For the opening credits alone I almost feel like the OScars need a new category for best use of 3D so that the highest stage can acknowledge how stunning this is.The film is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on screen and I can't believe just how well everything was handled.” —@chasmmi

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Reveal hidden contents

The Avengers, TDKR and SLP are ranked higher. Smh

• Like 1