Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

1 hour ago, drdungbeetle said:

Cool, I just don't know why the company even exists anymore, it's such a poor methodology of determining a movie's legs or quality. I mean, Wolf of Wall Street got a C...

You need to adjust with the movie marketing reaching the good audience or not and you will find exception to any predictive model that does not make them useless, the way to judge them is to take around 1000 movies, see the legs with their rating:

cinemascore-box-office-table-updated-she

Apparently until very recently at least the correlation was extremely strong between cinema score and legs.

Has any of the movies that got an A+ had bad legs ? I mean when Hidden Figures got an A+ people predicted great leg and it happened.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matrix4You said:

Lol....

The Wolf of Wall Street also opened on Christmas Day. I don't doubt that a not-insignificant portion of the audience that showed up for that film on its opening day was expecting a more conventional film rather than the three-hour bacchanalia that ensued, so it's no surprise that the film's CinemaScore was so low relative to its legs after general audiences figured out just why Leo and Marty came so perilously close to an NC-17.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, baumer said:

I'm basing it on having a run similar to Winter Soldier.

To be fair, Civil War also opened way higher than Winter Soldier so I don't think the comparison is completely fair. Civil War was more of an event movie than the Winter Soldier so it was always going to have a weaker multiplier being more frontloaded and meeting a big part of the demand for it in the OW.

It's part of the reason I predicted a much lower multiplier for GoTG Vol. 2 than for the 1st movie. I saw an OW increase meeting more the demand earlier, it being more frontloaded, as well as more serious competition for it.

Going to see Guardians Vol 2 with my dad again tomorrow so fun! Hope like most MCU movies, it holds up well on the rewatch.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Dammit.

GotG2 is definitely hitting 358 m DOM with Memorial Day coming up.

Just lost 20,000 in the Summer Game.

The higher it goes the happier I am.  I think 400m is still on the table. It's a stretch but it's possible at this point. 

• Like 1

Just now, JJ-8 said:

The higher it goes the happier I am.  I think 400m is still on the table. It's a stretch but it's possible at this point. 

I'd be so happy. I put it at 405 in the Summer Game, so a 400M total would be delightful.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I decoded these grades!

B+ = masterpiece

B = decent

B- = Rhinoceros dick cancer

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

To be fair, Civil War also opened way higher than Winter Soldier so I don't think the comparison is completely fair. Civil War was more of an event movie than the Winter Soldier so it was always going to have a weaker multiplier being more frontloaded and meeting a big part of the demand for it in the OW.

It's part of the reason I predicted a much lower multiplier for GoTG Vol. 2 than for the 1st movie. I saw an OW increase meeting more the demand earlier, it being more frontloaded, as well as more serious competition for it.

Going to see Guardians Vol 2 with my dad again tomorrow so fun! Hope like most MCU movies, it holds up well on the rewatch.

I wish I could watch Guardians 2 with my father but he was a bit too much like Ego. :sparta:

:sadben:

• Like 6

I rather enjoyed King Arthur to be honest. 3D was absolutely phenomenal IMO. Shame it's bombing, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel set in this world from Ritchie.

And Belko was just... fucked up. But I expected that so

• Like 2