Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

7 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Can we also please stop comparing this to Civil War? It's clear that this movie has much more family appeal and much higher rewatchability factor than CW and will obviously have much better legs.

Guardians 2 seemsto have better staying power than other MCU sequels which is very good. The only good comparison for CW will be IW, which will act very similar, most of the GA will flock OW, giving it an OW around $185M-$200M. But even with no competition its legs will be around 2.3x.

I think the gross is good but I they should have kept an August release would have likely done 400 million domestic with hardly any competition. 

Like look at the legs SS got lol.

Spiderman could have blasted off With Iron Man in traditional first Weekend of May style.

Even so both will be big hits. 

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the gross is good but I they should have kept an August release would have likely done 400 million domestic with hardly any competition. 

Like look at the legs SS got lol.

Spiderman could have blasted off With Iron Man in traditional first Weekend of May style.

Even so both will be big hits. 

Not really, historically, some of the biggest OW of all time happened in the first week end of May.

I don't disagree with the idea of opening Vol. 2 on the first or second weekend of August would've yielded even better returns at the box office. That said, it's doing quite well as is... But, as mentioned by many, given the recent success of Guardians Vol. 1, Suicide Squad and, to a lesser degree, TNMT in August, I'm completely baffled that the month's so barren in 2017. And, yeah, I know Dark Tower is there. Even still, that's not a blockbuster. Seemed the perfect month for Kingsman 2 release date. 2017 releases that immediately spring to mind as August releases... Kingsman The Golden Circle, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and/or War for the Planet of the Apes.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't disagree with the idea of opening Vol. 2 on the first or second weekend of August would've yielded even better returns at the box office. That said, it's doing quite well as is... But, as mentioned by many, given the recent success of Guardians Vol. 1, Suicide Squad and, to a lesser degree, TNMT in August, I'm completely baffled that the month's so barren in 2017. And, yeah, I know Dark Tower is there. Even still, that's not a blockbuster. Seemed the perfect month for Kingsman 2 release date.

Kingsman 2 would probably open to $45M+ with how empty August looks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Kingsman 2 would probably open to $45M+ with how empty August looks.

Yeah... Again, it's baffling. Was something pretty big initially slated for August? I mean, really, again, Guardians Vol. 1 and Suicide Squad more than proved the first weekend in August is an awesome, awesome slot. Maybe I'm underestimating Dark Tower? It has that slot this year.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah... Again, it's baffling. Was something pretty big initially slated for August? I mean, really, again, Guardians Vol. 1 and Suicide Squad more than proved the first weekend in August is an awesome, awesome slot. Maybe I'm underestimating Dark Tower? It has that slot this year.

As far as I'm aware no (unless you want to count The Emoji Movie as "pretty big" lol). I think we're in for a couple of a late summer overperformers this year (in particular Girls Trip, which I think is being underestimated around here).

Alien Covenant was originally scheduled for that August  slot, not that AC was big enough to scare away studios. Not that Wonder Woman is going to perform bad (unless it's horrible) where it is at but WB should have put it there.

1 minute ago, Caladbolg said:

Alien Covenant was originally scheduled for that August  slot, not that AC was big enough to scare away studios. Not that Wonder Woman is going to perform bad (unless it's horrible) where it is at but WB should have put it there.

I think they wanted more space between Wonder Woman and Justice League.

• Like 1

I agree with whoever said that Annabelle and IT should swap dates. The only reason I can imagine WB hasn't done this by now is because they don't want to release their big Stephen King movie just a week after Sony's (even if they are totally different genres). 

Personally I'd let Kingsman stay where it is (Atomic Blonde and Hitman's Bodyguard should already be enough for fans of both serious and comedic action in late summer), push The Dark Tower back to who cares where, put Valerian on August 4, swap IT and Annabelle's dates, and get Baby Driver back into August as IT's counterprogramming. That'd make for a serviceable end to the summer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I agree with whoever said that Annabelle and IT should swap dates. The only reason I can imagine WB hasn't done this by now is because they don't want to release their big Stephen King movie just a week after Sony's (even if they are totally different genres). 

Personally I'd let Kingsman stay where it is (Atomic Blonde and Hitman's Bodyguard should already be enough for fans of both serious and comedic action in late summer), push The Dark Tower back to who cares where, put Valerian on August 4, swap IT and Annabelle's dates, and get Baby Driver back into August as IT's counterprogramming. That'd make for a serviceable end to the summer. 

Most (if not all) forecasters have Valerian pegged as an obvious bomb so I don't think moving it to August would help either way.

Just now, filmlover said:

Most (if not all) forecasters have Valerian pegged as an obvious bomb so I don't think moving it to August would help either way.

It'd give it at least some IMAX showings and a bit more room to breathe. And if it's actually good it'd benefit from being summer's last (and August's only) big budget spectacle. In all likelihood it'd still bomb but not quite as badly.

2 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

If this turns out correct, then Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will have broken out of long-running mold of Marvel sequels declining by around 59% on their 2nd weekends. 

It would in fact be, remarkable! 

Not really... it should have been fairly obvious based on the pattern for the first weekend - hell, even just Thursday to Friday - that this film was playing much more to families than the fanboy heavy Civil Way, AOU or even IM3.   I'm a bit surprised it *only* ended up at $65 million for the second weekend.   

It, Kingsman and to a lesser extent Ninjago in September is going to make August looks what September does normally. $50-55m OW for It and $40-45m for Kingsman. 

I think WB knows what they're doing by putting It in September, same with Fox and Kingsman

http://deadline.com/2017/05/king-arthur-snatched-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-weekend-box-office-1202091662/

Monday AM, 7:11AM: Yesterday was a day for moms at the movies with 20th Century Fox’s R-rated comedy Snatched grossing $8.05M and repping an amazing Sunday B.O. boost of 25% over Saturday for a final opening take of $19.5M in second place. And Snatched wasn’t the only movie getting a hug from mom: Pantelion/Lionsgate’s How to Be a Latin Lover jumped 24% over Saturday with $1.69M and Disney’s Beauty and the Beast upticked 1% with $1.8M.

Typically, we see very good holds on Mother’s Day in the form of dips for chick pics — i.e. 2015’s Hot Pursuit (-2%) and The Age of Adaline (-4%) or 2014’s The Other Women (-16%)– but last year, this boost trend for the holiday began when Garry Marshall’s final movie Mother’s Day in its second weekend saw a +60% surge vs. Saturday on the femme holiday with $5.6M.

Though critics didn’t like Amy Schumer’s latest outing as much as her cinematic debut Trainwreck, (respective Rotten Tomatoes ratings 36% rotten to 85% certified fresh), the comedy plays significantly better with audiences, not to mention it’s pulling older audiences who are fans of star Goldie Hawn. Snatched reps Hawn’s return to the big screen in 15 years following 2002’s The Banger Sisters.  Snatched is produced by Chernin Entertainment and FeigeCo.

In addition, the weekend’s No. 1 movie Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and clunker King Arthur: Legend of the Sword also look to be coming in better than expected respectively with $65M and $15.4M over three days. GOTG2 saw an estimated $20.9M Sunday, -25%, while Guy Ritchie’s latest drew $4.6M, -16% from Saturday.

No word on F8 or BB so I guess they're around estimates.

Edited by wileECoyote
  • Like 6

Just now, wileECoyote said:

http://deadline.com/2017/05/king-arthur-snatched-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-weekend-box-office-1202091662/

Monday AM, 7:11AM: Yesterday was a day for moms at the movies with 20th Century Fox’s R-rated comedy Snatched grossing $8.05M and repping an amazing Sunday B.O. boost of 25% over Saturday for a final opening take of $19.5M in second place. And Snatched wasn’t the only movie getting a hug from mom: Pantelion/Lionsgate’s How to Be a Latin Lover jumped 24% over Saturday with $1.69M and Disney’s Beauty and the Beast upticked 1% with $1.8M.

Typically, we see very good holds on Mother’s Day in the form of dips for chick pics — i.e. 2015’s Hot Pursuit (-2%) and The Age of Adaline (-4%) or 2014’s The Other Women (-16%)– but last year, this boost trend for the holiday began when Garry Marshall’s final movie Mother’s Day in its second weekend saw a +60% surge vs. Saturday on the femme holiday with $5.6M.

Though critics didn’t like Amy Schumer’s latest outing as much as her cinematic debut Trainwreck, (respective Rotten Tomatoes ratings 36% rotten to 85% certified fresh), the comedy plays significantly better with audiences, not to mention it’s pulling older audiences who are fans of star Goldie Hawn. Snatched reps Hawn’s return to the big screen in 15 years following 2002’s The Banger Sisters.  Snatched is produced by Chernin Entertainment and FeigeCo.

In addition, the weekend’s No. 1 movie Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and clunker King Arthur: Legend of the Sword also look to be coming in better than expected respectively with $65M and $15.4M over three days. GOTG2 saw an estimated $20.9M Sunday, -25%, while Guy Ritchie’s latest drew $4.6M, -16% from Saturday.

That's very impressive for Snatched. Obviously most people were holding off on seeing it until Mother's Day. Beauty and the Beast's increase by $700,000 is impressive too, that's 10% drop from last weekend.

• Like 4