Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

If it is true Alien: Covenant will open to in the $30M range as these two sites (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4292&p=.htmhttp://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-spider-man-homecoming/) predict, it'll show the divisive reception to Prometheus will impact this movie and have it fall to 2nd, giving Guardians of the Galaxy 2 another third, straight opening weekend at #1.

• Like 1

I think any movie making north of $800M is a big success. bloggers like to paint a picture that some films are doomed if they don't reach absurd numbers but I doubt that's the case and HR puts out estimated profits;  I tend to believe what the HR numbers say.

• Like 1

Added a few more $ to Arthur lmao (sorry Schumer, your budget wasn't as high)

Also @aabattery this was completely by accident but I punched in 2 tickets for guardians which were supposed to be Born in China so there's an extra $22 for your game :lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also @aabattery this was completely by accident but I punched in 2 tickets for guardians which were supposed to be Born in China so there's an extra $22 for your game :lol:

Remember Ninjago in September, it'd be nice if a few extra tickets for OW.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Now do this again another... 2.5 million times.

:)

19 minutes ago, YourMother said:

That isn't happening. 

It could. If it follows WS it will drop less than 40%.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think any movie making north of $800M is a big success. bloggers like to paint a picture that some films are doomed if they don't reach absurd numbers but I doubt that's the case and HR puts out estimated profits;  I tend to believe what the HR numbers say.

It depend were those 800m come from and the definition of big success (the big success bar will change a lot for different project, anything above the market average of 7% will be a huge success for many movie, for other it will be 10, 12, 15, or even at 27% for some movies).

Amazing Spider Man 2 big success bar for example was set at 850m WW by Sony, for a 14% ROI, comfortably above 800m, and was budgeted to do 865 million WW.

I'm not sure the next Avengers would be a big success if it does 830m WW, with 305m of those from China and less than 300m domestic.

Obviously that Amazing Spider Man 2 had a 461.73 million net production cost + P&A budget and I imagine that the next Avengers will probably have something similar if not higher and are exception, but there is some movies made with a success bar above 800m for sure, Avengers, Star Wars 8, Avatar 2, etc....

51 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Yeah, not a huge difference, but enough that it may benefit from Mother's Day.

Here's the results compared to Prometheus via BOM

• South Korea - $7.2m (+52.58% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • United Kingdom - $6.4m (-39.85% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • France - $4.53m (-38.41% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Australia - $3.09m (-79.40% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Mexico - $2.46m (-24.90% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Spain - $1.9m (-71.63% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Hong Kong - $1.76m (+17.24% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Brazil - $1.63m (-52.47% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Italy - $1.29m (-66.68% vs. Prometheus Opening)

Some very troubling results, even considering how worse exchange rates are compared to 2012.

2012/June UK exchange rate = (US $1 = 0.65073 British Pound Sterling)  

2017/May UK Exchange Rate = (US $1 = 0.7703 British Pound Sterling)

~ 19% difference = in 2012 exchange rate would be equivalent to $7.616 v $9.581 ~ 21% drop

2012/June  Euro = (US $1 = 0.8039 Euro)

2017/May  Euro =  (US $1 = 0.9092 Euro)

~ 13% difference  =  France = $5.1189 v $6.680 ~  34% drop

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

It could. If it follows WS it will drop less than 40%.

WS had Easter and its only competition was an animated movie. All Marvel sequels that opened May dropped between 49% and 55% in their third weekends, and even TA dropped 46%. 

• Like 3