Alli

Weekend thread: GOTG2 63 m | Snatched 17.5 mi | King Arthur 14.7 m

Just now, YourMother said:

How?

55% is a very good second weekend drop. It only needs a 2.73x multi to hit 400m.

WoM looks quite strong, people are enjoying that it's comedy focused it seems.

If it has a low 40% drop next weekend it'll be in really good shape.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Panda said:

55% is a very good second weekend drop. It only needs a 2.73x multi to hit 400m.

WoM looks quite strong, people are enjoying that it's comedy focused it seems.

If it has a low 40% drop next weekend it'll be in really good shape.

2.73 is big for a sequel especially in May with no summer school days off.

Even Avengers dropped 46% in it's 3rd w/e off a 50% 2nd w/e drop with stronger weekdays

4 hours ago, expensiveho said:

I meant combined, obviously.

4 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

What was meant there was that Ragnarok & Coco *put together* will definitely outgross Justice League on its own. Which is correct. 

Sorry, I misread the earlier post. I agree, combined Raganrok and Coco will definitely make more than JL. I apologize for the misunderstandíng.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

2.73 is big for a sequel especially in May with no summer school days off.

Even Avengers dropped 46% in it's 3rd w/e off a 50% 2nd w/e drop with stronger weekdays

Winter Soldier pulled around 2.7x, and Guardians is holding similarly.  Avengers isn't a good comparison.

Im not saying it's guaranteed to pull that multi, just that it's within reach.  WoM looks strong enough for it to be possible.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Winter Soldier pulled around 2.7x, and Guardians is holding similarly.  Avengers isn't a good comparison.

Im not saying it's guaranteed to pull that multi, just that it's within reach.  WoM looks strong enough for it to be possible.

It's a May release and a very valid comparison.  Avengers had a 3 multi and didn't even have that hold off a much better 2nd week hold.

Winter Solider was an April release with only Rio2 as any competition and Easter week and holidays during that period.

The issue with $400M for Guardians 2 and comparing it to The Avengers is it's going to be hit hard by Wonder Woman. The combination of another comic book movie plus coming off the Memorial Day weekend just about guarantees a a 60+% drop. Its 5th weekend will probably be about about $8M vs. $20M for Avengers, so it will start to shed theaters quickly as competition increases.

It's also worth considering that Guardians 2 benefited noticeably more from Mother's Day than The Avengers did, so having a ~40% will be challenging.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

Because it will be so far ahead of it.

This is just loonie wishful thinking.  Thor is Thor.

Just now, baumer said:

Yeah, @aabattery you need to be more realistic, that's why I'm lowering my Ninjago prediction from $600M to $450M domestic.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ragnarok won't come close to Justice League. 

If we look at worse case scenarios for both:

($225M for TR, $325M for JL), JL is still over Rangarok by $100M.

Edited by YourMother

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's a May release and a very valid comparison.  Avengers had a 3 multi and didn't even have that hold off a much better 2nd week hold.

Winter Solider was an April release with only Rio2 as any competition and Easter week and holidays during that period.

Avengers was coming off a 100m second weekend man, and that weekend was inflated by spillover from the previous weekend.  It also had a smaller preview to OW weekend for the 2nd weekend drop.

They're both Marvel but different beasts.  I think a low 40% drop next weekend is entirely possible, with Alien: Covenant being it's only competition.  It already dropped better than expectations with 55%.

Then Memorial Weekend it'll get double features with Pirates to help ease its drop.

Again, I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but easily in the realm of possibility.  This isn't behaving like Ultron or Civil War.

4 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

The issue with $400M for Guardians 2 and comparing it to The Avengers is it's going to be hit hard by Wonder Woman. The combination of another comic book movie plus coming off the Memorial Day weekend just about guarantees a a 60+% drop. Its 5th weekend will probably be about about $8M vs. $20M for Avengers, so it will start to shed theaters quickly as competition increases.

It's also worth considering that Guardians 2 benefited noticeably more from Mother's Day than The Avengers did, so having a ~40% will be challenging.

From reading these forums I wonder if Wonder Woman and Guardians have the same audience.

I dunno.  I liked G2 and I'm not someone who likes all CBM or all Marvel or whatever.  I think the WOM will be pretty good. Maybe not earth shattering, but I don't think it is going to be all that front loaded.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ragnarok looks like a mini re-boot to be honest.

Taika looks like a total wild card choice, a bit like James Gunn was for Guardians, so let s see ...

Movie has one of the most insane cast in recent memories too.