Plain Old Tele

BOT: THE REVISITING -- now up, 1987! MINI-EXTENSION, deadline is tonight, June 25!

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

oh come on, you don't remember Fred Savage cursing up a storm?  That may have been the director's cut though

:P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

when I say it's like Deadpool in spirit, I mean it makes fun of genre conventions but deep down it's still that dork fantasy film that it is trying to mock.

It's not mocking anything, it's about as sweet and gentle a story as you can get (and one that's very lovingly and knowingly a part of the genre it's poking fun at).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

when I say it's like Deadpool in spirit, I mean it makes fun of genre conventions but deep down it's still that dork fantasy film that it is trying to mock.

It's not like meta-humor can't work. Monty Python and The Muppets were both practically built on cheeky winks to the audience. The Princess Bride is in the vein of the Muppets' brand of poking fun - a biting yet gentle ode to old-fashioned entertainment/storytelling.

The Princess Bride is a solid film IMO, but I agree on Deadpool being one of the most overrated films of the 21st century (Inception and Avatar being #1 and #2 :P)

Edited by mahnamahna

24 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

, but I agree on Deadpool being one of the most overrated films of the 21st century (Inception and Avatar being #1 and #2 :P)

Were you not here for the 2012 list that just got published? :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Good one, B. The segment with the raft and the black goo scared the hell out of me as a kid. The one with the cigar store Indian is great, too.

I liked THANKS FOR THE RIDE LADY

• Like 2

Can I have a 1 movie list that just says Spaceballs?  That eventually purchased VHS got played in my childhood by my brothers more than any of the actual movies it was based on.  I managed to have to watch it almost every day and it never got old to a wee one...and if parents have a single movie that can entertain their kids (both boys and girls of multiple ages) for an entire summer, does that movie not deserve the top spot?:)  I mean, yes, I could make room to add other movies to my list (crazy that I've watched like 20 of the top 25 DOM BO from that year over the years, but I guess being alive in 1987 and having the full 30 years to catch up helps:), but those got watched once or twice and discarded...none had the staying and rewatch power...

Of course, this is my issue with Clue - another movie I eventually got on VHS some years after its release and watched 100 times.  Do you rank these movies as the 7-8 year old you were when you finally watched them or as an adult now trying to rewatch them:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

Unfortunately, the only two 1987 films I've not seen yet that are available on Netflix and Hulu were:

Adventures in Babysitting

Radio Days

Does Amazon Prime have more 1987 films?

I searched the following and none came up on either streaming platform:

Hide contents
  1. Baby Boom (1987)
  2. Empire of the Sun (1987)
  3. Innerspace (1987)
  4. La Bamba (1987)
  5. My Life as a Dog (1987)
  6. Overboard (1987)
  7. Predator (1987)
  8. Roxanne (1987)
  9. Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
  10. The Secret of My Success (1987)
  11. The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
  12. Throw Momma From the Train (1987)
  13. Wings of Desire (1987)
  14. Withnail & I (1987)

Amazon Prime has The Untouchables, that's about it as far as free viewing goes.

2 hours ago, Goffe said:

Near Dark: enjoyable (casting is pitch perfect), but could have easily been better with a stronger director behind it. 7/10

The Princess Bride: feels a lot like Deadpool in spirit, that kid pretending to be edgy, something he is not. 2/10

Wings of Desire: *reads synopsis* oh this looks intriguing. *20 minutes into the movie* what did I do to deserve this. NO COMMENT/10

Prince of Darkness: No. 4/10

How is The Princess Bride edgy??? or trying to be for that matter.

Edited by Kalo

Once I track down a way to watch Evil Dead II, I'm getting on that. Been meaning to watch that trilogy for a while now.

The Evil Dead was alright. I think it was weak in a few departments but you can see that Raimi goodness starting to come together in it.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 2

Just now, aabattery said:

Once I track down a way to watch Evil Dead II, I'm getting on that. Been meaning to watch that trilogy for a while now.

The Evil Dead was alright. I think it was weak in a few departments but you can see that Raimi goodness starting to come together in it.

EVIL DEAD II is far and away the best of that trilogy, IMO. It's the perfect combination of un-hinged comedy without restriction. ARMY OF DARKNESS comes off as a milder, PG-13 version of many of the same jokes (though it's enjoyable too).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

EVIL DEAD II is far and away the best of that trilogy, IMO. It's the perfect combination of un-hinged comedy without restriction. ARMY OF DARKNESS comes off as a milder, PG-13 version of many of the same jokes (though it's enjoyable too).

The most annoying part about Evil Dead II is this:

nFKzDso.png

It's the only one they don't have! Soooo mildly inconvenient UGH.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Netflix US has none :sadben: 

That's nice and all but look at how much I have to suffer:

56MyCeL.jpg

Curse Netflix ANZ and their vendetta against the second movie in certain franchises.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I prefer Army a little better than 2, but they are pretty equal in my book. I also think 1 is not very good, is too much like a student film for me to enjoy.

• Like 1