grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm not sure if Jurassic World 3 increases or decreases from Fallen Kingdom yet

I think that entirely depends on whether the plot is actually interesting to the public or not. 

I see a billion at a minimum (unless it really is a shitshow), with potential to match the first (due to bigger markets) if the hook is good enough. If they sell this as the absolute finale to the franchise, and it's a decent movie, I could see it going even higher.

• Like 2

Yeah just depends. Fallen Kingdom would have done 400 billion more of it wasn't bad. Let's hope for less bad more good lol.

Suck less, do better Jurassic World. Much appreciated

-Casual fan.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 3

Remember when Jumanji had no buzz whatsoever?

Pika Pika always felt like that one next to the huge Blockbuster to me...

Big Trailerclicks, great initial reactions.

I still think this will open to $100m.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Stewart said:

I think that entirely depends on whether the plot is actually interesting to the public or not. 

I see a billion at a minimum (unless it really is a shitshow), with potential to match the first (due to bigger markets) if the hook is good enough. If they sell this as the absolute finale to the franchise, and it's a decent movie, I could see it going even higher.

Agreed. It needs to have a really good hook to surpass Fallen Kingdom. Something really crazy/awesome.

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Yeah just depends. Fallen Kingdom would have done 400 billion more of it wasn't bad. Let's hope for less bad more good lol.

Suck less, do better Jurassic World. Much appreciated

-Casual fan.

Fallen Kingdom is a masterpiece of modern cinema you donut.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Agreed. It needs to have a really good hook to surpass Fallen Kingdom. Something really crazy/awesome.

Fallen Kingdom is a masterpiece of modern cinema you donut.

maybe JW3 will finally achieve that 1696k you promised me :redcapes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Remember when Jumanji had no buzz whatsoever?

Pika Pika always felt like that one next to the huge Blockbuster to me...

Big Trailerclicks, great initial reactions.

I still think this will open to $100m.

Totally not seeing it. Without End Game sure but it's not gonna disappear. We shall see. That would be a good club!

If awesome reviews I'm going up to 92 so it could be close. Who knows what if it gets amazing reviews.

Edited by cdsacken

38 minutes ago, Nova said:

Long Shot has been creeping up the Fandango chart. It's currently at 6 but thats cause End Game's greedy ass is hogging up 4 of the top 5 spots :sadno:

Reviews are fantastic. 87% rotten tomatoes. Dumb release date 

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

I doubt it would've done especially great no matter where it opened. Personally I think it's headed for a similar total to the last collaboration between Rogen and the director (2015's The Night Before, $43M).

Edited by filmlover

I hate hotels. I cancelled the Airbnb, wife found place near airport that had adjoining rooms for more (I had zero desire to fight so sure why not). They assigned us nonadjoining rooms with our 4 year old so it took an hour to check in. I now remember why this is the first (and definitely last) hotel I will be using for the next half decade.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

It’s called Counter Programming. And it might’ve worked if End Game hadn’t Hulked out. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Nah. Typically films like Long Shot do just fine in the face of other blockbusters. The problem is that I don’t think anyone expected End Game to be as huge as it is but regardless I imagine the releases for this weekend had a feeling that they wouldn’t get the best screens (IW did do $100M+ second week so that was expected for End Game) but it would have still done fine 

• Like 2

Movie/Date Monday Tuesday
Detective Pikachu 332 551
  11 days 10 days

John Wick 3 262 313
  18 days 17 days

Aladdin 859 681
  25 days 24 days

Secret Life of Pets 2 11 8
  39 days 38 days

So yeah, things are finally starting to go back to normal a bit for these movies. It may not necessarily be perfect, but these numbers all seem solid. I don't want to pin Pikachu's jump entirely on Sonic, but either way, this is a really strong bump. Decent for Wick as well.

Aladdin's also doing...fine out of 10. Somebody mentioned here something along the lines of "Aladdin could be doing better, but nothing that's concerning", and I think that sounds about right.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I think 50% of my posts in spring/early summer 2018 were me trying to explain to people why Fallen Kingdom would not rely on presales and would easily open to 120M+. So many people didnt believe me because "the presales were bad!"

I was right.

They were wrong.

Barack_Obama_drops_the_mic.gif

Here's hoping that you're right again about Pikachu as well and it shocks us all and makes much more then some expect OW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pulse today 8:35-8:49 EST:

Long Shot: 19/15 – no clear picture so far: Isn't It Romantic (Wednesday release, 14.2M OW) had 13/15 at that time on Monday, What Men Want (18.2M OW) 44/15 at that time on Wednesday.

The Intruder: 15/15 minutes – the most unfavorable comparison would be Us (71.1M OW) which had 230/15 at that time, friendlier looking comps would be Escape Room (18.2M OW) which had 36/15 on Thursday at that time (so The Intruder is probably almost on par) or Greta (4.5M OW) with 6/15 same day and time of the day.
UglyDolls: 8/15 – Lego Movie 2 (34.1M OW) had 120/15, Wonder Park (15.9M OW) had 24/15 at that time, Missing Link (5.9M OW) 5/15, all same day and time of the day.

Pokémon: 11/15
John Wick 3: 11/15
Aladdin: 10/15

And Pulse today 10:50-11:04 EST:

The Intruder: 35/15 minutes – Us had 386/15, Escape Room had 80/15 on Thursday, no Greta number but Serenity (4.4M OW) had 20/15 same day and time of the day (but Serenity did not improve much till Friday and for The Intruder I see more potential).
Long Shot: 23/15 – Isn't It Romantic had 20/15 at that time on Monday, What Men Want 56/15 at that time on Wednesday.
UglyDolls: 20/15 – still not really good, Lego Movie 2 had 113/15, Missing Link 9/15 both same day and time of the day.
El Chicano: 2/15

Pokémon: 17/15
The Hustle: 2/15
John Wick 3: 15/15
Aladdin: 17/15
Saw also some tickets for Rocketman.

Pokémon today being only on par with John Wick 3 which has more time left is not too promising. But let's see which jumps Pokémon will make in the following days.
John Wick is doing quite fine I guess. Its sold tickets today are e.g. on par or a bit better than the presales for Hellboy or Cold Pursuit were on Tuesday = 3 days before their release.
At least all movies popped up regularly today and also improved in the second counting.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1