grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Time to take matters into my own hands

giphy.gif

@TwoMisfits I'm gonna need you to start telling all your mom and dad friends that they gotta take their kids to see Detective Pikachu. And then make sure you tell them to tell all their mom and dad friends. And then they tell all their mom and dad friends etc etc You're doing them a huge favor by recommending the movie and they'll just pay it forward to other moms and dads by also recommending the movie :ph34r: I'll be watching the Fandango tracker to see if you actually did this or not btw so you can't lie about it either :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

giphy.gif

@TwoMisfits I'm gonna need you to start telling all your mom and dad friends that they gotta take their kids to see Detective Pikachu. And then make sure you tell them to tell all their mom and dad friends. And then they tell all their mom and dad friends etc etc You're doing them a huge favor by recommending the movie and they'll just pay it forward to other moms and dads by also recommending the movie :ph34r: I'll be watching the Fandango tracker to see if you actually did this or not btw so you can't lie about it either :ph34r:

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

giphy.gif

MarvelousBetterFritillarybutterfly-max-1

• Knock It Off 1

I honestly just want to be honest, I don't understand this obsession with pre-ordering tickets. I really don't, and maybe I'm the minority. I never have a desire to see any movie on a Thursday night(Endgame I saw because my friend ordered tickets) for previews because I have work the next day. I traditionally go to movies either Friday night or sometime on Saturday.

I also never pre-order tickets,  the only time I ever did was for Endgame and that was only 3 days before it opened. Captain Marvel and Aquaman I ordered tickets the day I was going to see it and I was able to get in no problem and get great seats.

I don't understand what is the big deal with pre-orders and how that has any merit on how a film will perform at the box office.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I honestly just want to be honest, I don't understand this obsession with pre-ordering tickets. I really don't, and maybe I'm the minority. I never have a desire to see any movie on a Thursday night(Endgame I saw because my friend ordered tickets) for previews because I have work the next day. I traditionally go to movies either Friday night or sometime on Saturday.

I also never pre-order tickets,  the only time I ever did was for Endgame and that was only 3 days before it opened. Captain Marvel and Aquaman I ordered tickets the day I was going to see it and I was able to get in no problem and get great seats.

I don't understand what is the big deal with pre-orders and how that has any merit on how a film will perform at the box office.

Speaking for myself, I wanted to get Endgame tickets a couple weeks early to ensure good seats at a good time, and sometimes it depends on how your market behaves whether you  can get seats (often showings fill up really fast on the day of at my theater). If you meant as it relates to box office analysis, presales generally are a (rough) indicator of the demand for a film, and when you compare them to similar-behaving films you can get a decent idea of the opening weekend (except with massive outliers like Endgame).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Because with the increase in reserve seating at theaters, more people have chosen to buy their tickets ahead of time in order to get the best seats in the theater. 

There are some films I do this for. There are some films I don't do this for. It all depends on if I am in a rush to see the movie or if I think the movie is going to sell out fast and therefore need to secure my ticket ahead of time. CBM and Star Wars Movies, I usually buy tickets asap cause I know there will be a rush to see the movie and the good seats will be gone. All other genre movies I usually wait. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Because with the increase in reserve seating at theaters, more people have chosen to buy their tickets ahead of time in order to get the best seats in the theater. 

There are some films I do this for. There are some films I don't do this for. It all depends on if I am in a rush to see the movie or if I think the movie is going to sell out fast and therefore need to secure my ticket ahead of time. CBM and Star Wars Movies, I usually buy tickets asap cause I know there will be a rush to see the movie and the good seats will be gone. All other genre movies I usually wait. 

That is exactly how I am, but I don't usually rush to get even those tickets.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Endgame is probably still factoring in on the actual number, but even the opener with the top presales (Long Shot) looks like it'll struggle top La Llorona today, which is very not good.

Okay but at least Ugly Dolls won its battle. Poor John Wick. RIP 

11	00.501%	412	UglyDolls
12	00.460%	378	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Of course they're always surprises and especially surprisingly big jumps in the last days (even the last two days can bring the big turnaround so nobody should panic too early e.g. like I did with La Llorona). But overall presales show pretty well how anticipated a film is, how many fans are really willingly paying for it. I wonder myself why this is such a reliable factor most of the time.

Personally, if I really wait for a film then I order my ticket/our tickets very early. It doesn't hurt (at least where I live I notice that if more tickets are already booked then more people don't hesitate to do the same) and mainly I just want my ticket ;).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Now we’re doubting the validity of presales? if only Porthos hadn’t literally just nailed EG’s Thursday number on the dot...

Literally 1 guy :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1