grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The JK:FK to KotM thing might just be a year-to-year rise in pre-sale tickets.  Seeing any comps in the 5's though ain't great news, especially with a different 2018 movie.

A big factor was that movie opened in the heart of summer, while for KOTM many kids are still in school. Also dinosaurs are just much more popular for casual audiences/walkups than Godzilla. Tbh PR2 had a 12x and Kong Skull Island had a 16.5x (I think) internal multiplier, and I'm not sure if 4pm starts are going to affect this that much. I think 60m would still be in play with a number in the 5s.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Just now, McClintonforThree said:

Can anyone give me some good news about KOTM? This constant assault of bad news is really killing my vibe man. I've never been so personally invested in a movie's box office as much as this one and I'm starting to get seriously depressed.

Godzilla vs kong will still be released that’s something to look forward 

some things life you have no control over. Can’t stress about it. It’s outta you’re hands

watch the movie. If you like then awesome but it’s hard to make up good news when it doesn’t exist 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, McClintonforThree said:

Can anyone give me some good news about KOTM? This constant assault of bad news is really killing my vibe man. I've never been so personally invested in a movie's box office as much as this one and I'm starting to get seriously depressed.

The good news is that its Thursday. A lot of things can happen over the weekend, both negative and positive.

• Thanks 1

That'd be the lowest theater count for an X-men film since the original, though it could still edge by Deadpool's 3,588. That was of course R-rated, and we've seen theater counts it general rise over the last couple years, so this is a pretty big sign exhibitors aren't expecting major business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

That'd be the lowest theater count for an X-men film since the original, though it could still edge by Deadpool's 3,588. That was of course R-rated, and we've seen theater counts it general rise over the last couple years, so this is a pretty big sign exhibitors aren't expecting major business.

Apocalypse got 4150 theaters, this will rise a bit but it won't be anywhere near that. Very bad.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters -- Previews Tracking -- 5:30pm CST / Thursday, May 30th -- AMC Willowbrook 24

11 show times: 426 tickets sold out of 1381 available (30.85%)

Comparison at Same Day/Time: Captain Marvel - 1140 tickets sold, Detective Pikachu - 280 tickets sold 

• Thanks 3

Now that 5pm numbers are in I can directly comp the FSS numbers with Aladdin at least and...this is just not great. All three days are half of Aladdin at the same point despite the preview sales being almost equal. I was optimistic in an above post but this is just looking bad.

27 minutes ago, McClintonforThree said:

I am looking at AMC Metreon at SF one of the best iMAX screens stateside and 4pM show is like 80-85% sold out. 7pm is like 70% sold out and even 10PM is 50%+ sold out. So it selling out lots of expensive $22 imax tickets. So average ticket price for Zilla would be way higher than say Pikachu.

AMC loews lincoln sq is also doing great in imax. 715pm almost sol out.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

King of the Monsters Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report:

PREMIERE NIGHT (FINAL REPORT) [3:20pm - 4:00pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

18.26%

Total Showings Added Since Mid-Day:       4

Total Seats Added Since Mid-Day:          280

Total Seats Sold Since Mid-Day:             492

IMO, the best comp of movies I have tracked will be Fallen Kingdom.  I also have comps with the Aladdin and Detective Pikachu as something as a compare/contrast with current May movies.  They may not be as good comps, being in different genres. I have also added at the last moment comps for Venom and Ant-Man and the Wasp as they were walkup heavy.

Unadjusted Comps

0.9296x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu at stop of tracking.

0.7379x as many tickets sold as Aladdin at stop of tracking.

Pika Pika: [3:30pm  - 4pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

30.15%

Total Seats Sold Since Mid-Day:       447

Aladdin: [5:00pm - 5:30pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

28.15%

Total Seats Sold Since 1pm:             809

NOTE:::  Since I stopped Aladdin tracking 90 minutes later due to it having 6pm previews (instead of 4pm), I have a 3:30 - 4:00 comp  for a pure like-for-like comparison:

Aladdin [3:30pm - 4:00pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

25.67%

Total Seats Sold Since 1pm:         465

Aladdin Time-Based Comp

.8093x as many tickets sold as Aladdin at 4pm.

Adjusted Comps

.4181x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom at stop of tracking.

.5655x as many tickets sold as Ant-Man and the Wasp at stop of tracking.

.5927x as many tickets sold as Venom at stop of tracking.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

More Detailed Final Comps:

JW2: [5:30pm - 6:15pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

45.41%

Total Seats Sold Since 1pm:           1275

AM&tW: [5:00pm - 5:30pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

41.41%

Total Seats Sold Since 1pm:            1070

KotM (JW)*: [3:20pm - 4:00pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

18.52%

* KotM (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom, Solo, and AM&tW

Total Seats Sold Since 1pm:      396

==========

Venom: [4:15pm - 4:50pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

33.96%

Total Seats Sold Since 1pm:            1012

KotM (V)*: [3:20pm - 4:00pm]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

18.09%

KotM (V) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Venom

Total Seats Sold Since 1pm:      419

=====

Thoughts in a bit, especially taking into account the difference in stop of tracking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

You know, on the off chance KOTM fails, what's going to happen with Kong vs Godzilla.

They're gonna have to release that, right? Or will they sell it to Netflix/Put on its own streaming service?

lmao it's going to theaters no matter what

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

You know, on the off chance KOTM fails, what's going to happen with Kong vs Godzilla.

They're gonna have to release that, right? Or will they sell it to Netflix/Put on its own streaming service?

I think that has way more upside than this. But it would be good to get early reactions and fix the script and reshoot part of the movie if required. They can move it to December if required.