grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 5/24/2021 at 10:50 PM, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-3 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

39.03%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Added Today

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-3 Comp

%

Sold T-3

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

38/140

2616/5906

55.71%

4.41m

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Regal ($199)

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

===

It 2 sold 324 tickets at T-3 while AQP II on an adjusted basis sold 228.  It 2 had sold 2334/20105 tickets while AQP 2 (adj) is at 1475/3546. 

[1475/2334] x 10.5 = 6.64m. 

Take 10% off for lack of Canada, and on a pure It 2 comp we're at 5.97m.  Capacity is obvs an issue, but for now I'll stick with lopping off 10% of the Sacto total for my ad hoc guesstimate.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-2 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

43.00%

20*

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

*NOTE: Includes two non-reserved seating showings from the local drive-in

T-2 Comp

%

Sold T-2

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

49/205

4035/7536

53.55%

4.45m

===

Adjusted Seats

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25 - rounded down], 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25 - rounded down], and 22 seats for Regal [$199/$9.25 - rounded up]

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism for Cinemark and Cinema West in this post.  However, it appears that we can track Regal PWPs to the movie purchased, as mentioned in this later post.

SECOND NOTE:  Since A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella are both debuting on the same day and both have PWPs available for purchase, I am not approximating the tickets sold at Cinemark and Cinema West locations for either movie on this track.  For the record, however, 8 PWP showings were purchased before tickets for Cruella  went on sale, for an approximation of 128 tickets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-2 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

43.00%

20*

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

*NOTE: Includes two non-reserved seating showings from the local drive-in

T-2 Comp

%

Sold T-2

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

49/205

4035/7536

53.55%

4.45m

===

Adjusted Seats

It 2 sold 485 tickets at T-2 while AQP II on an adjusted basis sold 330.  It 2 had sold 2819/22328 tickets while AQP 2 (adj) is at 1805/4024. 

[1805/2819] x 10.5 = 6.72m. 

Take 10% off for lack of Canada, and on a pure It 2 comp we're at 6.05m.  It 2 absolutely exploded at T-1 locally selling 1,001 tickets, so to keep pace, locally AQP II would probs have to sell around 650 tickets tomorrow on an adjusted basis to keep that pace.  Pretty tall ask, so expect the It 2 comp to come down tomorrow.  But, hey, maybe the Tomato Law will come through once again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On a lark, I did a Cruella check tonight.

625/2257 with 7 sellouts out of 75 showings.

Not having much better, I comped it against Aladdin internally and after various adjustments came up with 585/1926, or 30.37% of Aladdin at T-2, which would get 1.91m (with adjusting for lack of Canada).  Got to admit, I don't feel confident about that at all, given Aladdin busted out at the end, and I highly doubt Cruella will.  But, who knows, maybe this is a late bloomer during the actual OW as some trackers suggest.  Well, relatively speaking.

Do think that @Inceptionzq is onto something with Maleficent 2 being the best possible comp, caps and lack of Canada notwithstanding. 

*thinks*

Lemme check the thread for mo...

On 10/15/2019 at 10:45 PM, Porthos said:

Not exactly taking off in the land of tomatoes...

At T-2 Maleficent 2 has now sold 696 tickets region wide (+169 last two days)

38.99% of Pika Pika (2.22m) [-0.19m from last check]

36.13% of Aladdin   (2.53m) [-0.01m from last check]

24.69% of It 2          (2.59m) [-0.16m from last check]

the lolcheck is still lol-ish as it is dropping like a rock:

66.92% of H&S        (3.88m)  [-0.84m from last check]

TS4 is at 2.21m (-0.06m) and TLK is at 2.34m (-0.02m)

Still converging on 2.25m to 2.5m it appears.  Just not seeing much of a sign of 3m out of Sacramento.  Could just be doing poorly here.  Also could have the wrong comps.  Also could be really walkup based, as if it gets a good percentage of walkups, it'll gain on other films in a hurry.

Or it's just destined for 2.5m more or less.  Just have to see.

(Won't do a check tomorrow.  Might  do one on Thr night if I remember/feel like it)

Hmmmm.... 

Adjustment here is slightly different and comes to 611/696, or 87.79% of Maleficent 2 at the same time locally.  Adjust for lack of Canada again and we get 1.82m.

1.8m to 1.9m is... actually fairly interesting agreement, comp wise.  Fairly close to Inceptionzq's number, though I don't think he's adjusting for lack of Canada.

Could be, could be.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Eric De Vil said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 2 306 2566 25368 10.12%

Total Shows Added Today: 109

Total Seats Added Today: 7,277

Total Seats Sold Today: 872

Comp

0.981x of Godzilla vs. Kong Sunday Before Release (9.52M)

1.395x of Mortal Kombat Tuesday Before Release (12.68M)

Bah gawd. That's all I gotta say

Comp

0.981x of Godzilla vs. Kong Sunday Before Release (9.52M)

1.395x of Mortal Kombat Tuesday Before Release (12.68M)

Can I assume half of those are from Thursday and another half for Friday? So the range for Thursday preview is about 4.76m-6,34m 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually I have it at 50m 3days including preview. I mean, there are too many improvements since GvK that I cannot ignore such as higher capacity , higher theater count, higher vaccination rate, lower cases and death. And not to mention AQP2 is an theater exclusive with more positive review than GvK,

I like to see this too but the buzz is a bit weak for this to open that high at 50m just in 3 days. Even among BOT, I didn't see much buzz surrounding AQP2. 

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Fairly close to Inceptionzq's number, though I don't think he's adjusting for lack of Canada.

I am not adjusting for lack of Canada, but I should note that one of my top 2 theaters never put showtimes up until T-1 days for Maleficent, so I’ve had to adjust for that. It’s Highlands Ranch where Cruella has been doing extremely well. Same with one other theater where it has been doing decent enough to possibly hurt the comp.

• Like 1

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/05/26/black-widow-quiet-place-f9-tops-fandango-2021-summer-movie-poll/amp/

Fandango dropped their Most Anticipated Summer list. Grain of salt as per usual, but it’s always fun to look at these

1. Black Widow

2. A Quiet Place Part II

3. F9

4. The Suicide Squad

5. Shang-Chi

6. Cruella

7. Conjuring 3

8. The Hitman’s Bodyguard’s Wife

9. Space Jam 2

10. Hotel Transylvania 4

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Eric De Vil said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/05/26/black-widow-quiet-place-f9-tops-fandango-2021-summer-movie-poll/amp/

Fandango dropped their Most Anticipated Summer list. Grain of salt as per usual, but it’s always fun to look at these

1. Black Widow

2. A Quiet Place Part II

3. F9

4. The Suicide Squad

5. Shang-Chi

6. Cruella

7. Conjuring 3

8. The Hitman’s Bodyguard’s Wife

9. Space Jam 2

10. Hotel Transylvania 4

So the 2nd most anticipated film is projected to make 30m? Then how much is F9 or Suicide squad supposed to make in their opening?  On par with MK?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So the 2nd most anticipated film is projected to make 30m? Then how much is F9 or Suicide squad supposed to make in their opening?  On par with MK?

This pools doesn't really translate into box office, every year their list is more of a hit or miss than something concrete

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Dude Rocketman hit #2 on the 2019 Summer list. Take a chill pill

6 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Fandago most anticipated list is mostly bleh. Most often films coming in next few weeks make it top films. Their annual anticipated list usually have stuff coming in Jan/Feb/Mar which is obv not as anticipated as much bigger projects. I remember in 2019 they had Glass over The Lion King.

• Like 1

The Conjuring 3, counted today at 11am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
76 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
29 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
11 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9):
7 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
14 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 21 (3 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
141 (6 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in
7 theaters till today for June 4: 299.
Up 12% since yesterday. I'm way more confident now due to the first good reviews.

AQP II, previews on Thursday, counted today at 11am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
256 (12 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
138 (17 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
49 (9 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9):
10 (3 very new showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 56 (7 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
235 (19 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
456 (22 showtimes)

Total tickets sold i
n 7 theaters till today for May 27: 1209.

Up 34% since yesterday. Good. AQP II is now at 46% of the number that It 2 had on Wednesday of its release week (and I had to add Texas). It 2 had a jump of 30% in 2 days (Mon-Wed), AQP II a jump of 62% (on a lower level of course).
The Invisible Man (28.2M OW) had also on Wednesday 628 sold tickets (again now with Texas).
If I would only have more confidence in the walk-ups. But for now I'm glad that the pre-sales improved (so much).

PS: The Forbes article says: As for Quiet Place 2 being ranked above Fast & Furious 9, well, had both films opened as intended in March 2020 and May 2020, they might have ended up pretty close.
Still looks strange now. Or maybe we underestimate AQP II ;).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1