grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, Menor said:

International Women's Day was not really a thing in the US though, and though the trolls added a bit of buzz I think the movie would have easily cleared a billion without them.

Agreed and EG tie in. Nice little 100+m cherry though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Menor said:

One thing about TS4 is that discount Tuesday appears to be contributing an abnormally large share of sales right now. That may skew the comps a bit

Great. Another thing I gotta worry about.

tenor.gif?itemid=8386520

• Haha 4

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Fixed it. As I said I was jetlagged and copied wrong data.

I will let @Menor do the comparison and project. he has done a great job of it past few weeks.

oh i am so sorry, didnt see the edited comment , :(

42 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I just checked Incredibles 2 hourly numbers. It had huge pre-sales. +25% Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Two were as pre-sale loaded as each other.

Incredibles 2 was on another level ...  Insane ..

54 minutes ago, Menor said:

FFH vs CM comparison (14 days before release)

FFH - Mon: 3094, Tue: 20875, Wed: 3917, Thurs: 2610, Fri: 2844, Sat: 3394, Sun: 1320. Total: 38054

CM - Thurs: 27171, Fri: 16110, Sat: 14969, Sun: 5952. Mon: 459, Tue: 1928, Wed: 154 Total: 66743

From this it's very clear that lack of Thursday previews + 6-day opening for Spidey is depressing its presales. It's OD PS at the same point is actually above CM by a significant margin (it's better to compare it to Friday than Thursday as Spidey's OD will have a significantly higher percentage of walkups and late presales than a Thursday preview would). I'd say that around 2 million from midnights seems likely and then 40+ OD, 50 million possible. After that the situations are too different to compare. 

Agreed ... will depend on hype & Wom ...

I think the dismal summer we've had + these insane reviews + the fact that I2 was a superhero movie which are always prone to be pre-sale heavy mean that TS4 can still beat it this weekend in spite of not keeping up with I2's pre-sales. It's in a perfect spot to breakout massive. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think the dismal summer we've had + these insane reviews + the fact that I2 was a superhero movie which are always prone to be pre-sale heavy mean that TS4 can still beat it this weekend in spite of not keeping up with I2's pre-sales. It's in a perfect spot to breakout massive. 

To be honest I don't really see it. It should be more walkup heavy than I2 but it would have to be insanely so to actually beat I2's opening. The big presales for I2 were reflective of a type of hype and pent-up demand that TS4 can't match.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Menor said:

FFH vs CM comparison (14 days before release)

FFH - Mon: 3094, Tue: 20875, Wed: 3917, Thurs: 2610, Fri: 2844, Sat: 3394, Sun: 1320. Total: 38054

CM - Thurs: 27171, Fri: 16110, Sat: 14969, Sun: 5952. Mon: 459, Tue: 1928, Wed: 154 Total: 66743

From this it's very clear that lack of Thursday previews + 6-day opening for Spidey is depressing its presales. It's OD PS at the same point is actually above CM by a significant margin (it's better to compare it to Friday than Thursday as Spidey's OD will have a significantly higher percentage of walkups and late presales than a Thursday preview would). I'd say that around 2 million from midnights seems likely and then 40+ OD, 50 million possible. After that the situations are too different to compare. 

It makes sense Cap Marvel is more the heavy as it had previews vs midnight release for Spidey. That said why would PS be depressed with Monday release. Would people not reserve tickets bcos its not opening on a thursday !!!!

FYI Raimi 1 had 7m midnights back in 02 when ticket prices were lot lower and there were no imax/plf/3d. Raimi 2 had similar opening and opened to almost 180m which was more than 50% higher than previous 3 day OW record. if compare that to say IW(Endgame was an anomaly), that is equivalent to FFH opening to 400m over 6 days !!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

To be honest I don't really see it. It should be more walkup heavy than I2 but it would have to be insanely so to actually beat I2's opening. The big presales for I2 were reflective of a type of hype and pent-up demand that TS4 can't match.

we will see, seems that the movie has pick up well today