grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I do not know about that Smurfs 2 didn't triple it's budget at the BO, was weak domestic relative to the nut job, made 17m in profit (25 million including participation bonus) and got a sequel.

Without knowing how much they were able to pre-sold some market (and the home video performance of the first one) it is hard to judge that decision imo, too close to call for me but movie that do more than their budget on the domestic turn out usually at least ok financially, significantly more on DBO alone (50% more than it's budget in this case) it is usually a success.

Smurf 2 71 dbo performance made around 94 million in revenue in the domestic market alone without considering merchandise for an example.

I'm referring to this year's Smurfs - the reboot back to solely animated that made $197M (which was actually higher than 3x its production budget), where everyone on BOT agreed no more sequels...just call it a day...if $197M for that movie is call it a day, $120M should have also been an easy similar call...

Edited by TwoMisfits

22 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm referring to this year's Smurfs - the reboot back to solely animated that made $197M (which was actually higher than 3x its production budget), where everyone on BOT agreed no more sequels...just call it a day...if $197M for that movie is call it a day, $120M should have also been an easy similar call...

We should not start using circular argument like using other message board user opinion ? I mean we are not a source, an other Smurf movie could happen and also we don't know the budget of the newest Smurfs movie, it was post sony leak.

An important point is Nut Jobs doing 50% more than is budget on the domestic market, that is a really strong performance, in comparison the last 2 smurfs didn't come that close to their budget on the domestic market. Depending on how much they sell foreign and how well grand parents buy those in store, it could have been an impressive performance for term (remember the non-studio context, that was there biggest release ever)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Honestly, that fandango meter is so addicting.  I tried it again just now and OH MY, I'm positive I miscounted on Annabelle, but believe it's within 30 maybe.  Glass Castle and Nut Job at most I'd be like 2 off, but I got in 10 minutes.  481 for Annabelle, 16 for The Nut Job and 9 for Glass Castle

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

My theater is making a huge mistake by not giving Annabelle one of the two biggest screens during the day. It should have had one of them full time instead of sharing with Nut Job, especially with school back in session. They currently have both of next weekend's comedies in average auditoriums, but they're almost assuredly getting moved up into the two biggest because there is no chance in hell TDT is keeping the biggest and keeping Annabelle in one of them would be a waste.

I am sure your theater is making a huge mistake by not making Nut Job 2 all 3D showings.  I assume the demand for that will be higher than usual.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

$25m for Annabelle would be $12m less than the last film. Not bad but it's losing a third of its audience. 

What's happening with you, Kriss?? You were pretty good at doing predictions. $30m is locked for Annabelle 2, unless a disgrace happens. U/O $35m is the question. I would say $39m 

4 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

I'm saying high 20s/low 30s for Annabelle with good legs through August to something like 90-95M.

hmm ... I give 29-32 and 85 as final result.

But I want... ok, I'll see movie in 4 hours, and set-up my pridition a little bit later.

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

It actually did 3.31x (64.25 dom/19.4 ow), which is good even for an animation.

Just mentioning BO without mentioning budget is meaningless. 

It was not a 100-150 budget animation. It was a puny 42m prod budget. So it's grosses are fine compared to that.

Several good arguments for why this will flop, and it does look awful, but the first exceeded expectations big-time. 19.4 vs 12.3 bom prediction http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3773&p=.htm k

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

My local Regal is dropping Valerian on Friday. Wonder how many others in this huge chain are doing the same. 

My 20 screen Cinemark and 16 screen Regal is doing the same. Probably losing another 1,000 theaters.

• Like 1

Annabelle is up to 18 tickets tonight while Nut Job has still sold nothing :rofl: 

33 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

My local Regal is dropping Valerian on Friday. Wonder how many others in this huge chain are doing the same. 

My AMC is keeping it for one showing per day after 9:00 PM.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

And b/c I've tracked it all week...this disaster, opening in less than 17 hours, has now sold a whopping NINE tickets across 3 theaters and 930ish seats - seems one other family of 5 got suckered in today...

And this is for a sequel...and our area is still 100% out of school...

5 hours to go and Nut Job 2 has DOUBLED its Thursday presales...now 18 tickets sold out of 930ish available seats across 3 theaters tonight...we could be looking at a monster walk-up/last minute decider situation...I'm sure of it!:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

My 20 screen Cinemark and 16 screen Regal is doing the same. Probably losing another 1,000 theaters.

My local Marcus Cinema, a midwestern cinema chain dropped Valerian too.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2