kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

9 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

I don't remember many of his contributions. Maybe some last year, I don't know. I just remember RTH's contributions.

I'm not disrespecting anyone. I just wonder why this forum looks so elitist, it not even makes sense this time.

You don't have to understand or agree with how people decide to give their likes, but who are you to question it and mock another user for it?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Of fucking course. When I saw the trailer for it while in the theater for Guardians 2, I was like: "That motherfucking movie could bomb EVERYWHERE but it's gonna do great in Portugal". I was right.

It's like, for every Benfica Tetra and for every Eurovision win, we get a Transporter Refueled #1 of the weekend or something like this. Fuck this country's cinema tastes.

(Except when it comes to Life :ph34r:)

Life actually opened over Arrival here :ph34r: It hold up much worse and it ended way below Arrival in the end, tho :lol: 

29 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Of fucking course. When I saw the trailer for it while in the theater for Guardians 2, I was like: "That motherfucking movie could bomb EVERYWHERE but it's gonna do great in Portugal". I was right.

It's like, for every Benfica Tetra and for every Eurovision win, we get a Transporter Refueled #1 of the weekend or something like this. Fuck this country's cinema tastes.

(Except when it comes to Life :ph34r:)

But Portugal was right about the Transporter Refueled ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Life actually opened over Arrival here :ph34r: It hold up much worse and it ended way below Arrival in the end, tho :lol: 

The powah of the Villeneuve compels you. I hope Blade Runner doesn't bomb over here.

And I just saw that Wikipedia page of 2016's #1 weekend hits in the country - Suicide Squad hitting a million OW (which is pretty much our equivalent of 100M OW), more than any other superhero film (more than Ultron, more than BVS, anything) is baffling. How the fuck did WB get that... thing to so many houses? Again, Portugal.

17 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

I don't remember many of his contributions. Maybe some last year, I don't know. I just remember RTH's contributions.

I'm not disrespecting anyone. I just wonder why this forum looks so elitist, it not even makes sense this time.

You don't remember his contributions, 99% of us do. You are nobody to come out here and demand that we stop "giving him likes" just cause he gets one prediction - not even an inside report, a Goddamn PREDICTION - wrong, which is a human thing to occur. I thought like-whoring was only a thing on Facebook and YouTube. Disappointing to learn otherwise.

• Like 3

MCU Sequels’ Third Weekends:

• Avengers: Age of Ultron — 38.9 million (-50.0%)
  • Iron Man 3 — 35.8 million (-50.7%)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 35.0 million (-46.3%)
  • Captain America: Civil War — 32.9 million (-54.7%)
  • Iron Man 2 — 26.4 million (-49.3%)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier — 25.6 million (-38.0%)
  • Thor: The Dark World — 14.2 million (-61.2%)

In terms of third weekend grosses, GOTG Vol. 2 is ahead of Civil War, nearly on par with Iron Man 3, and only a few million behind Age Of Ultron, when those films opened to $32.6 million more, $27.6 million more, and $44.8 million more, respectively.

The big question now is how well it can hold up next weekend against the new Pirates of the Caribbean and Baywatch. The latest tracking I can find has Pirates opening to $90+ million for the 4-day and Baywatch opening to $37-40 million in its 5-day debut (it opens on the Thursday).

For the other MCU sequels whose fourth weekend also fell on Memorial Day weekend, they faced the following competition: 

• Civil War faced openers X-Men Apocalypse ($79.8M) and Alice Through the Looking Glass ($33.5M)
  • Ultron faced openers Tomorrowland ($42.7M) and Poltergeist ($26.3M) plus sizeable holdovers Pitch Perfect 2 ($38.9M) and Mad Max: Fury Road ($31.3M)
  • Iron Man 3 faced Fast & Furious 6 ($117M), The Hangover Part 3 ($50.3M) and Epic ($42.8M), plus sizeable holdover Star Trek Into Darkness ($42.7M)
  • Iron Man 2 faced Prince of Persia ($37.8M) and Sex and the City 2 ($36.8M) plus sizeable holdover Shrek Forever After ($57.1M)

MCU Sequels’ Fourth Weekends:

Memorial Day Weekends (3-day and 4-day grosses):

• Avengers: Age of Ultron — 21.7 million (-44.2%) AND 28.2 million (-27.4%)
  • Iron Man 3 — 19.3 million (-46.0%) AND 24.7 million (-31.0%)
  • Iron Man 2 — 16.5 million (-37.6%) AND 21.1 million (-20.0%)
  • Captain America: Civil War — 15.4 million (-53.3%) AND 20.0 million (39.3%)

Other:

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier — 16.2 million (-36.6%) *Normal April weekend
  • Thor: The Dark World — 11.1 million (-21.9%) *Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend

So, because of Pirates/Baywatch competition, will GOTG Vol. 2 drop as hard as Civil War next weekend? Or because of how well it has fared so far, will it drop more like Ultron/Iron Man 3 (or even Iron Man 2)? Iron Man 3 faced pretty strong competition in its right and dropped 46% for the 3-day. Perhaps GOTG Vol. 2 could drop similar to Iron Man with the strong competition (according to tracking)? I’m not sure at this point. I could see it holding surprisingly well or dropping like Civil War, given Pirates seems like strong direct competition. *shrug* 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Quality can not be extrapolated from BO, especially when EVERY comedy is bombing. I hated 21 Jump Street but it still did well and came out in a time when some comedies still "worked" at the box office. Now none are. Most likely "regular" comedy is not appointment viewing when tickets cost 10 bucks and you can entertain yourself with better comedies made decades ago readily available on streaming.

Comedy had a down year last year, only if you limit what comedy is...Deadpool and Sausage Party were both atypical, but 100% comedies.  Bad Moms also soared.  All 3 were R rated, so Baywatch is in good company this year.  The culture sometimes currently struggles to know when they can laugh and when they can't, so that's probably been limiting to comedy BO lately, but I think the right comedy (like the 3 I listed last year) can still explode...I hope that's lifeguards meet crazy criminals in over-the-top nostalgic zaniness...but if it's not, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it just b/c I might have watched Baywatch in syndication after school every weekday, and I took it as not seriously then as I'm planning to take this movie now:)...a comedy that gets the audience to lighten up is probably the one that's gonna hit huge BO numbers...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The powah of the Villeneuve compels you. I hope Blade Runner doesn't bomb over here.

And I just saw that Wikipedia page of 2016's #1 weekend hits in the country - Suicide Squad hitting a million OW (which is pretty much our equivalent of 100M OW), more than any other superhero film (more than Ultron, more than BVS, anything) is baffling. How the fuck did WB get that... thing to so many houses? Again, Portugal.

Suicide Squad is the biggest superhero movie here since freaking Spider-Man 2 (it beat Deadpool for that honor). Let that sink in. Warner Bros. knows how to sell a movie here. The Disney team of NOS and Pris are the worst from the majors. The rest pretty much always gets their A+ game for marketing. Blade Runner is releasing here on October 5, an holiday, and Big Pictures will give it a massive push.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Not everybody makes quality comments and gets likes out of it :sparta:

Some people even get awards for subpar comments :ph34r:

Edited by franfar
  • Like 2

I don't know if it's just me but I think this Summer in general might have a middling/mediocre box-office. The only thing I think might surprised is maybe Wonder Woman? 

I'm kinda curious what the breakdown of the  audience was for Everything Everything. 

34 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If you want Likes, post quality comments.

Really no. You need have a premium account (and to post anything) or to post something that many people here agrees/want. Quality doesn't matter after all.
But is this a shade for me? I don't want likes. I want to understand why this forum seems so elitist.

34 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You don't remember his contributions, 99% of us do. You are nobody to come out here and demand that we stop "giving him likes" just cause he gets one prediction - not even an inside report, a Goddamn PREDICTION - wrong, which is a human thing to occur. I thought like-whoring was only a thing on Facebook and YouTube. Disappointing to learn otherwise.

His prediction was made (he persisted) after the previews numbers came out. I bet you already knew that Alien wouldn't make $ 45M+ OW when the previews number came out. What's the point of highlighting a bad prediction just because it was made by someone who has contributed to the forum in the past? Bootlicker? Elitism? It's not about likes at all.

2 hours ago, nomyth said:

This month has been so weak outside of GOTG and I'm really starting to doubt next week as well. Looks like it's continuing the streak of weak Memorial Day weekends.

oh well. Leaves the market wide open for WW to explode.

It leaves room for June in general to explode.

June 2017's lineup is arguably stronger/more well-rounded than June 2012/June 2013.

Despicable Me 3: $105 million/$310 million

Wonder Woman: $100 million/$255 million

Cars 3: $70 million/$220 million

Transformers - The Last Knight: $50 million 3-day/$80 million 5-day/$165 million

The Mummy: $40 million/$110 million

Captain Underpants: $35 million/$100 million

All Eyez on Me: $35 million/$90 million

The House: $25 million/$85 million

Rough Night: $15 million/$50 million

Baby Driver: $10 million 3-day/$17.5 million 5-day/$45 million

It Comes At Night: $10 million/$30 million

Megan Leavitt: $3.5 million/$7.5 million

That would be roughly $1.5 billion if you add in all the limited/platform releases. Considering there's no JW or Dory-sized mega-blockbuster on the horizon unless DM3/WW surprise us all, that's a remarkably balanced slate.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Alien: Covenant:

FRI: $15.350 million

SAT: $12.025 million (-21.7%)

SUN: $8.625 million (-28.3%)

------------------------------

TOTAL: $36.0 million

GOTG Vol. 2:

FRI: $8.804 million

SAT: $15.040 million (+70.8%)

SUN: $11.218 million (-25.4%)

----------------------------

TOTAL: $35.062 million (-46.3% from last weekend)

It's a close one between Alien and GOTG Vol.2, but I expect Alien to clearly win the weekend, unless it somehow has a much worse Sunday drop than estimated. Even if it slips from estimates, I think it still has enough leeway to win the weekend. This is the first weekend where Disney hasn't overestimated GOTG Vol. 2's Sunday drop, so I don't expect it to increase with actuals like it has the past two weekends.

Peace,

Mike

I don't think GOTG will drop 25% today...it'll drop closer to 30, if not 32 or 33.  Last weekend Sunday was Mother's Day.  Not sure why they are giving it the same drop as last Sunday.  Our holiday Monday here in Canada won't help the Sunday box office.  If you look at the same Sunday last year, all holdovers in the top ten fell at least 33% except Mother's Day, which fell 30.  I think GotG and Alien are overestimated.  

• Like 2