kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I'm not sure of that, Nolan was already well known (for a director) worldwide in 2011. He is arguably the biggest draw (if he do a Nolan big movie) after James Cameron right now.

Last time I checked the ranking worldwide (not up to date around 2011-2013), the director awareness * popularity among aware ranking looked like this:

1- Spielberg 73% (obviously and in is own league) 
2- Tarantino 46% 
3- Scorsese 44% 
4- Burton 40% 
5- Allen 37% 
6- Almodovar, Pedro 24 % 
7- Howard, Ron 23% 
8- Peter Jackson 22% 
9- Luc Besson 20% 
10- Soderbergh, Steven 16% 

Nolan 12%, already getting close to those legend with much longer career in the spotlight.

Nolan awareness by market in june 2011:

Nolan, Christopher Australia 0.274694262
Nolan, Christopher France 0.412835249
Nolan, Christopher Germany 0.347663551
Nolan, Christopher Italy 0.388475836
Nolan, Christopher Japan 0.254545455
Nolan, Christopher Korea  
Nolan, Christopher Mexico 0.37037037
Nolan, Christopher Russia  
Nolan, Christopher Spain 0.360113422
Nolan, Christopher UK 0.322674419
Nolan, Christopher Int'l Average 0.34142157

In 2017, I think most of the frequent movie goers know Nolan, and that to them than most ticket are sold for movies like that.

I'm surprised Robert Zemeckis isn't on that list nor Ridley Scott

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Nolan has made Warner Bros a lot of money so even if Dunkirk doesn't do huge numbers, they'll still greenlight his next film. It's the same with Clint Eastwood and to an extent Ben Affleck, Eastwood had a few duds like J.Edgar, Hereafter, Jersey Boys but then he had hits like American Sniper, Sully and Gran Torino. 

Nolan is an in-house director now, the greenlighting thing don't even enter the equation, he is the property of Warner. They consider him their crown jewel, their current Kubrick.

His offices (from regular office to post production facilities) are on the Warner lot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Or Bay, that a home made list from hundreds of people or things ranked, I will check if I didn't omit them.

And to note director that went in front on the camera a lot like Eastwood, Clooney, Jolie, etc... were omitted on purpose.

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Scott was at 34%, I simply missed him while scrolling the list. John Woo at 17% is an other one I missed. (also to note I don't have data on James Cameron, he would be there too)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

With the right movie, Ridley Scott can be a drawing factor (not THE draw mind you), but he's spotty with his films. Spielberg is also a drawing factor for his stuff.

Spielberg's name alone can't sell a film, The BFG comes to mind but I think pairing him with a good subject like Lincoln or an appealing concept like Jurassic Park or Minority Report can work wonders. I think The Post and especially Ready Player One will benefit from using his name in the marketing.

Just now, Jonwo said:

Spielberg's name alone can't sell a film, The BFG comes to mind but I think pairing him with a good subject like Lincoln or an appealing concept like Jurassic Park or Minority Report can work wonders. I think The Post and especially Ready Player One will benefit from using his name in the marketing.

Again, a factor, not THE draw. Spielberg hasn't been THE draw for his film in a long ass time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The BGF still did better than the Tom Cruise movie of that year.

It would not surprise me if Spielberg name is part of the reason it almost doubled Pete Dragon oversea, still it is the first movie to fail for Spielberg financially I think, since 1941 (and that was not a real flop just considered one because it wsa a Spielberg movie underperforming).

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The BGF still did better than the Tom Cruise movie of that year.

It would not surprise me if Spielberg name is part of the reason it almost doubled Pete Dragon oversea, still it is the first movie to fail for Spielberg financially I think, since 1941 (and that was not a real flop just considered one because it wsa a Spielberg movie underperforming).

I think it did better overseas especially in the UK is because Roald Dahl is much more revered not to mention eOne, who distributed it in the UK did a better job promoting it compared to Disney

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, a2knet said:

Does anyone else thing ATOMIC BLONDE could pull of a LUCY or at least a GIRL ON THE TRAIN's 75m Dom.

How did they not use this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_WLw_0DFQQ

5 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I really don't think a movie with a Xenomorph that isn't trying to kill everyone would make for a very good movie. I really don't think the franchise is above such "cheap" stuff. Lore and backstory is amazing but it should never be why a movie exists.

"Good movie" is subjective of course.   Do you know how many times I've seen a Xenomorph kill someone?

It doesn't flip the same switch now.   The story is way more interesting to me.   I understand the studio made a big invest and they need the big shiny bangs, booms, and splatter...but dare I say it now bores me a bit?

5 hours ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

In Space, No One Can You Hear You Scream.. Lose that tagline in favor of being all philosophical about it like PROMETHEUS tried to do and people won't care..

I know I'm in the minority.   The body count sells tickets to people who maybe haven't seen all the Alien movies 10 times like I have.

But going by the numbers....maybe the body count, horror cliche, jump scare route isn't exactly the best way to go about it either?   Horror movies don't do the kind of numbers to support a huge budget.

My lore/story tale wouldn't cost as much so maybe the "Alien" franchise name could support a smaller budget type story based movie that doesn't rely on the cliches?

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

"Good movie" is subjective of course.   Do you know how many times I've seen a Xenomorph kill someone?

It doesn't flip the same switch now.   The story is way more interesting to me.   I understand the studio made a big invest and they need the big shiny bangs, booms, and splatter...but dare I say it now bores me a bit?

But the Xenomorph being dangerous is part of the story? You lose the danger, you lose the stakes? I mean if your just interested in lore, read the wiki pages.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

Rank your most anticipated movies of (the rest of) the summer

1. Detroit
  2. Dunkirk
  3. War for the Planet of the Apes
  4. It Comes at Night
  5. Pirates 5
  6. Wonder Woman
  7. The Dark Tower
  8. Atomic Blonde
  9. Baywatch
  10. Baby Driver

1. Valerian

2. Wonder Woman

3. The Dark Tower

4. Pirates

5. Spider-Man

The rest.

10 hours ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

Valerian looks generic as hell, don't care about Pirates, Baywatch, Cars or Apes, Emoji Movie deserves to bomb, I doubt my theater gets Atomic Blonde or It Comes at Night, lol at Mummy and I dunno about DM3 yet

You're wrong, so wrong. But it's okay, I believe the movie itself will eventually make you see that. I just hope you give it a chance sometime.

9 hours ago, Firepower said:

Wonder Woman won't have big overseas numbers because this character is popular only in US. She is not a Batman level of appeal.

Of course it's not as big as Batman, only Spider-Man is. That doesn't mean it isn't big in its own way cause it is, trust me. At least in Latin America.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Panda of the Caribbean said:

Rank your most anticipated movies of (the rest of) the summer

1. Detroit
  2. Dunkirk
  3. War for the Planet of the Apes
  4. It Comes at Night
  5. Pirates 5
  6. Wonder Woman
  7. The Dark Tower
  8. Atomic Blonde
  9. Baywatch
  10. Baby Driver

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Dunirk

Detroit

War For The Planet of The Apes

Wonder Woman 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Personally, I think this summer has some great looking smaller films coming out. The blockbuster fare isn't interesting me as much, so although August looks barren for the box office, many good looking movies are releasing that month.

I would love to see your list of smaller films.  I like movies, weekly or near weekly, and this summer is discouraging.

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

well it could make 100m, but it is not locked. No stars and the Dunkirk evacuation isn't exactly an extremely well known event. I can see this being like War Horse even where it does OK in most places but really good in the UK

Seriously? I guess it might depend on who taught your history class.  It was a big deal in our class. And I bet this does very well in the UK.

• Like 1

Right now, 10% increase is the safe zone for #1 IMO.  That would give Alien 36 million.

I have it increasing 14%, same as Ghost in the Shell.  I have Sunday at 80% of real Friday which gives a 29.84% drop. 

This equates to a 36.99 weekend..

I have GOTG at 35.21

Edited by Matrix4You