Nova

Wednesday #s: Baywatch 1.25M in previews

http://deadline.com/2017/05/baywatch-wednesday-preview-box-office-opening-1202102337/

To get a leg up on the Memorial Day weekend box office before Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales takes it over, Paramount’s previewed Baywatch last night earning $1.25M from shows starting at 2,554 locations from shows starting at 7PM.

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

Not sure what to make of this. Doesn't look to be selling well wherever I look, but at least that wasn't under 1M.

RT audience score is still fresh, which gives me hope WOM isn't awful throughout the weekend.

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That doesn't seem very good. No?

It's a Wednesday night start so it's hard to get a good read on it yet. If it comes below $4M including previews today then yes, that is not good.

FWIW sales at reserve seating theaters near me are looking to be very dismal today, so...

Edited by filmlover

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

That doesn't seem very good. No?

Nothing wrong with it for being on a Wednesday and it's not exactly a movie people are going to rush out to see.  

Now I am not saying it will have a great weekend or anything, just this number really isn't anything, good or bad

• Like 3

Some comparisons from Deadline for those wondering: 

The studio is currently comping Baywatch‘s evening cash to such mid-week R-rated comedies as We’re the Millers ($1.7M) and Let’s Be Cops ($1.2M). We’re the Millers went on to make a $6.8M Wednesday before legging out to a $26.4M three-day and $37.9M five-day. Let’s Be Cops earned $5.2M on its first day including previews, and then $17.8M over three and $26.2M over five.

• Like 10

I think it's actually a pretty decent number. Everything is going to depend on word-of-mouth going forward but opening on a Wednesday before a long weekend I don't really think there's many people rushing out to see it. Also when I looked up to see how many shows were in Canada last night it was shockingly pretty bare. There were a few showings in Toronto Vancouver Edmonton Calgary and Montreal. But other than that it wasn't playing anywhere.

• Like 7

I'm happy with this number - it keeps my chance for a $40M+ 5 day alive:).

Reading the Rotten Tomatoes viewers, I think WOM will be good for this.  It's no Citizen Kane, but it's a fun comedy for those who don't mind some occasional childish or low brow humor...and they try with the humor all movie, which is refreshing:)...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Alien is selling better than Baywatch at my theater so far today :jeb!: 

Yea well wasn't Everything Everything selling better than GOTG2 last weekend at your theater? Or was it Wimpy Kid? Either way....embarrassing. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Yea well wasn't Everything Everything selling better than GOTG2 last weekend at your theater? Or was it Wimpy Kid? Either way....embarrassing. :ph34r:

That was on Friday night m8. GOTG had a bunch of near sellouts during the weekend.

• Like 1

Only thing with that Millers comp is the fact that that was in August where summer weekdays were still in full effect. 1.25 could lead to a nearly 7M Thursday in mid may

• Like 5

Seems okay for a Wednesday opening. Less than the $1.84M from Central Intelligence, but that was a June release w/a Friday opening/Thursday previews. Probably gonna have a 3-day of somewhere under Alice 2.

Edited by MCKillswitch123