kayumanggi

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY | 179.1 M overseas ● 392.9 M worldwide

Episode 9 will do well but I think its already in trouble as the China and developing market gross will fall from TLJ. 

My point is that I think the sad part Solo will likely be the new normal for SW films overseas now after Episode 9. 

-_-

14 minutes ago, Sam said:

Wow, look at Solo working hard for that sub 300M OS goal. 

It's way to early to say it will do below $300m OS but if it does it's hard for me to believe star wars OS-China would do less than Dunkirk OS-China.

That would be $286.23m. If that happens I would be mind blown. 

But their is a decent chance that this might happen.

2 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Poppins :ohmygod:

Also, I feel like there are too many live-action reimaginings/sequels/reboots of classical Disney films. Within 12 films (August 2018 – July 2019) we are getting:

• Christopher Robin
  • The Nutcracker
  • Marry Poppins 2
  • Dumbo
  • Aladdin
  • The Lion King

What exactly is Disney thinking? I seriously doubt they will all be break-out successes. And the fact that they come out so close to each other could harm all of them.

18 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Also, I feel like there are too many live-action reimaginings/sequels/reboots of classical Disney films. Within 12 films (August 2018 – July 2019) we are getting:

• Christopher Robin
  • The Nutcracker
  • Marry Poppins 2
  • Dumbo
  • Aladdin
  • The Lion King

What exactly is Disney thinking? I seriously doubt they will all be break-out successes. And the fact that they come out so close to each other could harm all of them.

Poppins, Aladdin and TLK will be a huge success

Edited by fabiopazzo2

23 minutes ago, Quigley said:

This should have been released in December. There is no doubt about that. What a stupid decision by Disney.

I think August was the release date for this if not December.  August is wide open this year and the back half of July really doesn't have much competition either other than Mission Impossible and even that won't be that big.  Instead you made it really hard to build hype for a Star Wars movie people were skeptical of to begin with (who asked for a Han Solo backstory) that is being released not long after one of the most hyped movies ever in Infinity War and the week after a $125M opener, both of which had better reviews than Solo.

26 minutes ago, Quigley said:

This should have been released in December. There is no doubt about that. What a stupid decision by Disney.

I don't think that Solo would fare better in December. At least overseas had no interest in it whatsoever. Wrong actor, blah previews, unnecessary story, did anyone ever clamor for Solo prequels? 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think that Solo would fare better in December. At least overseas had no interest in it whatsoever. Wrong actor, blah previews, unnecessary story, did anyone ever clamor for Solo prequels? 

For European markets it would have made a difference. It is one of the busiest moments of the year. It's assosiated with SW and it woudn't be 5 month after TLJ. For asian/la markets it woudn't have done that much. But those markets didn't give much to TLJ or RO either.

5 minutes ago, pepsa said:

For European markets it would have made a difference. It is one of the busiest moments of the year. It's assosiated with SW and it woudn't be 5 month after TLJ. For asian/la markets it woudn't have done that much. But those markets didn't give much to TLJ or RO either.

I think that even Disney knew that Solo was beyond salvaging so they put Mary Poppins in the lucrative Dec spot. They seem very confident in that one and previews are promising.  

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that even Disney knew that Solo was beyond salvaging so they put Mary Poppins in the lucrative Dec spot. They seem very confident in that one and previews are promising.  

Have'nt heard about this movie. But yeah live action has been doing great and they haven't done one this year.

If SOLO shows a 30% drop from RO OS-China (454.5) it gets 318 OS-China. Looking at openings in Taiwan (-65%), Italy (-40%), France (-67%) that 30% OS-China drop looks optimistic.

35% OS-China drop from RO gives 295. Then 15-20 in China gives 295 + 15-20 = 310-315 OS

40% OS-China drop from RO gives 273 and around 290 OS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A2k Raptor said:

If SOLO shows a 30% drop from RO OS-China (454.5) it gets 318 OS-China. Looking at openings in Taiwan (-65%), Italy (-40%), France (-67%) that 30% OS-China drop looks optimistic.

35% OS-China drop from RO gives 295. Then 15-20 in China gives 295 + 15-20 = 310-315 OS

58 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

You also have to take in to account that if it drops 40% on OW that the multi won't be the same. RO had no heavy competition and Christmas legs in European countries.