Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

If this way underperformed like gitesh is expecting, I think that is a strong indicator that RT means nothing. Suicide Squad was the worst reviewed cbm of the year and goes $133/$325M.

This is the 23459043566556945456th indicator that shows RT isn't necessarily in line with the actual movie legs.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It's interesting because he was never much of a draw DOM outside of Jack, despite all the fuss made about him being the biggest actor in Hollywood for a while last decade. But when you look at it, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland are his only real DOM hits outside of POTC. And I'm not so sure you can even attribute most of their success just to Depp's draw power.

I think both are very attributable to his star power post Jack.  Even Dark Shadows which was a miss for him made as much as it did because of Depp.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Watched Wonder Woman for the second time. It's right up there along with BVS and MOS among the best of the genre, I'm glad DC is back on track after the disaster that was Suicide Squad.

confused.gif

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Damn Hailee Steinfeld really hit Rock Bottom. It's a good thing she loves herself and didn't become starving from tasting you :ph34r:

Give me the whole damn zoo!

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Han certainly has a type. Brie was the original "good actress who would rather be a subpar teen pop star!"

I never knew this. Next you're going to tell me MEW is a musician!

*Googles*

Image result for mary elizabeth winstead gif fargo

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I think both are very attributable to his star power post Jack.  Even Dark Shadows which was a miss for him made as much as it did because of Depp.

Both films were based on beloved children's classics. Had a lot of built in appeal already. I'm sure Depp helped, particularly in the case of Alice, but they were primarily kid's films and do kids care that much about what actor is in a movie? 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

If this way underperformed like gitesh is expecting, I think that is a strong indicator that RT means nothing. Suicide Squad was the worst reviewed cbm of the year and goes $133/$325M.

lmao no. There are so many times a movie over preforms due to good reviews or a movie that might have done well completely bombs due to negative reviews. Suicide Squad had a lot of hype and one of the most aggressive and effective marketing campaigns and was able to over come the reviews 

You have to remember that one 

1. WW has a female lead. My 14 year old brother for example says he has no interest in seeing it and this guy sees all the DC and Marvel movies (Yes I know my brother is an asshole, I didn't raise him and I'm sure many boys his age have the same feelings 

2. DC movies have so far been very terrible, that is bound to affect a movie like Wonder Woman. 

• Like 1

Only 33M....:sadben:

I really hope rth shows up later with a higher number. 

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sheesh, Depp's domestic box office history post OST is rough, especially if you take out Into the Woods since it's basically a cameo. The fact he might not even be able to take a Pirates film to 150 DOM proves not only is his draw power long gone, but he may be outright box office poison at this point. 

:depp:

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Both films were based on beloved children's classics. Had a lot of built in appeal already. I'm sure Depp helped, particularly in the case of Alice, but they were primarily kid's films and do kids care that much about what actor is in a movie? 

They didn't have that much built in appeal.  When movies make that much money it isn't just kids going, it's adults sans kids.

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

He didn't screw up. He went low on Age of Ultron's Friday number (85M) when everyone (the trades) had it at mid 90s for Friday and he ended up being correct. 

Or something like that. Pretty much the last time he went way lower than the trades on a film this big, he was right and the trades were wrong. 

I dont think it's right to question him or the trades. They get this stuff right 99% of the time imo and if this is the 1% that he or them messed up is not the end of the world. 

I remember when Gitesh did that with Age of Ultron because it was one of the very few times that Rth was wrong. And I was defending Rth to the end against this one poster who kept bashing him and anyone who believed him. Then, Rth turned out to be wrong and that poster laughed and laughed. Fast forward months later and the poster that bashed Rth now praises him along with the rest of us....but I'll never forget the Rth doubter!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's interesting because he was never much of a draw DOM outside of Jack, despite all the fuss made about him being the biggest actor in Hollywood for a while last decade. But when you look at it, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland are his only real DOM hits outside of POTC. And I'm not so sure you can even attribute most of their success just to Depp's draw power.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was based off a beloved kid's novel and had Depp at the peak of his fame, in between the first two blockbuster POTC films.

AIW was the 3D revolution spurned after Avatar. 

Just now, TalismanRing said:

They didn't have that much built in appeal.  When movies make that much money it isn't just kids going, it's adults sans kids.

Nah, I'd say both were primarily family driven at the box office, and that audience can absolutely make a film a ton of money. Maybe Alice's OW had a decent amount of adults sans kids, but I don't think it would have held as well as it did afterwards if it wasn't mostly families going. 

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

lmao no. There are so many times a movie over preforms due to good reviews or a movie that might have done well completely bombs due to negative reviews. Suicide Squad had a lot of hype and one of the most aggressive and effective marketing campaigns and was able to over come the reviews 

You have to remember that one 

1. WW has a female lead. My 14 year old brother for example says he has no interest in seeing it and this guy sees all the DC and Marvel movies (Yes I know my brother is an asshole, I didn't raise him and I'm sure many boys his age have the same feelings 

2. DC movies have so far been very terrible, that is bound to affect a movie like Wonder Woman. 

I disagree on point 2 because I would bet mint coins that a suicide squad sequel would do at least $100M OW despite how bad the first one was. The GA doesn't seem to fall in line with what I'd consider a good or bad film or critics in general 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not buying the Gitesh number. THR, Variety and Deadline all have it much higher. Deadline actually updating recently.

Timeline:

THR & Variety gave their numbers out around 1pm PST.  Then Deadline updated 4:38pm PST.  Then Gitesh updated around 5:20 PST

Edited by TalismanRing

Johnny Depp (imo) was one of those movie stars who could get butts into theaters on his name alone. He is a brand much like Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Sandra Bullock, Kevin Hart etc. Unfortunately Depp did some fucked up things that tarnished said brand and hasn't done anything to show that he's better or fixed those things. So his appeal has decreased by a lot, as a result and it's because he tarnished his brand and never attempted to fix it. But make no make mistake 5-10 years ago Depp was a household name that drew folks to the theaters. Now he's the guy with all the personal stuff going on. And I don't want to go into details about it but yea that stuff ruined his appeal/brand to the GA and his fans.