Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Brie Larson as Captain Marvel will simply be the end of me!

Hide contents

And my dick :jeb!: 

Damn Hailee Steinfeld really hit Rock Bottom. It's a good thing she loves herself and didn't become starving from tasting you :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Damn Hailee Steinfeld really hit Rock Bottom. It's a good thing she loves herself and didn't become starving from tasting you :ph34r:

See what happens when you agree to star in a Transformers spin-off?

33 would mean true fri [ 22 ] was just 2x the previews

SS thu previews were 20.5...how the hell did WW true Fri come to 22 with all the hype and buzz.

Sheesh, Depp's domestic box office history post OST is rough, especially if you take out Into the Woods since it's basically a cameo. The fact he might not even be able to take a Pirates film to 150 DOM proves not only is his draw power long gone, but he may be outright box office poison at this point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Yeah looking at the big difference from last night to tonight, I think it's possible it might. I said that the the preview number wasn't going to indicate much due to the NBA finals. I bet rth comes in with a higher estimate in a little bit.

Gitesh said the same thing this morning when the preview numbers came out and he thought that could mean $100m.  His new data is telling him something different.  Oh Rth, where art thou?

@Tele Came Back  could you change the title to $33-35

Just now, a2knet said:

33 would mean true fri [ 22 ] was just 2x the previews

SS thu previews were 20.5...how the hell did WW true Fri come to 22 with all the hype and buzz.

no way will it be 33m. Think it will be 36-37m in the end. 

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Han certainly has a type. Brie was the original "good actress who would rather be a subpar teen pop star!"

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Sheesh, Depp's domestic box office history post OST is rough, especially if you take out Into the Woods since it's basically a cameo. The fact he might not even be able to take a Pirates film to 150 DOM proves not only is his draw power long gone, but he may be outright box office poison at this point. 

Lucky for him he still draws around the world - at least as Jack

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I don't mind Titanic.  And Titanic was a big risk, buts it was 1 movie whereas LOTR is based on 3 big nerd Bibles that pretty much invented modern fantasy.  Jackson had to to perfectly juggle a LOT of characters and get the look and feel of ME right which is a lot more complicated than 1 movie about a love story on a famous boat.  He was in pre-production for 4 years and it took him 2 years to shoot it.  And every studio except New Line scoffed and told him to F off.

Yes, LOTR requires a lo more works than Titanic when it comes to the production. But when it comes to the doubts and negetivity Cameron had to deal with, I can tell you just as much as anyone could with Jackson on LOTR. But obviously we're not here to compare the pressure level of what Cameron and Jackson had to endure.

The point is, you don't get a lifetime pass in hollywood. Studios judge you by your resume of your recent works, not something you did 20 years ago. And it's very clear that Nolan is now in a much better position than Jackson is. If Jackson makes a couple more turds like Lovely Bones, his career is going to end up like today's Ridley Scott, which is making one hit to get the investment for his next 2-3 flops. I'm sure none of us wants to see that happen.

BTW I think the banned user Fishnets once said Jackson is now like George Lucas. It's harsh but it does make SOME sense.  Right now Jackson does look like he's taking a much slower pace for his career as a director.

• Like 3

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

as bad as Pirates is doing, it will likely pass 160m since it should hold better than Apocaylpse on the Father's Day/Cars 3 opening day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

OK, can someone tell me what's the deal with Gitesh? I've seen allusions at some major past screw up that made him a butt of jokes or something. Maybe I'm wrong but if there's some good story, please share! :)

He didn't screw up. He went low on Age of Ultron's Friday number (85M) when everyone (the trades) had it at mid 90s for Friday and he ended up being correct. 

Or something like that. Pretty much the last time he went way lower than the trades on a film this big, he was right and the trades were wrong. 

I dont think it's right to question him or the trades. They get this stuff right 99% of the time imo and if this is the 1% that he or them messed up is not the end of the world. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Lucky for him he still draws around the world - at least as Jack

It's interesting because he was never much of a draw DOM outside of Jack, despite all the fuss made about him being the biggest actor in Hollywood for a while last decade. But when you look at it, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland are his only real DOM hits outside of POTC. And I'm not so sure you can even attribute most of their success just to Depp's draw power.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

If this way underperformed like gitesh is expecting, I think that is a strong indicator that RT means nothing. Suicide Squad was the worst reviewed cbm of the year and goes $133/$325M.

It means something, it just doesn't mean everything otherwise no studio would have to spend any money on marketing, or pay more for certain IPs or actors.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3