YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

18 hours ago, alisson23 said:

Ok, guys, I forgot about Cars 3. #2 then. But that doesn't change the fact Nova was trying to make WW's performance looks less impressive. Now I can see he realised he was being biased. 

So even if WW does $30M third weekend and Eyez does $31M, WW is less impressive? Despite it being obvious that WW is the GOTG/Deadpool of 2017? Just because someone thinks a movie can out open a holdover doesn't make them a fanboy. That's like me saying "Person A thinks my over performing movie will do under movie B third weekend makes them bias." Even though it can happen with over performing movie it doesn't make their runs less. We aren't going to magically forgot WW run because of that.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

It looks like WW came very close to following TMNT2 from last year, in terms of daily increases.  So if it does the same Sunday, it comes down by 27%.  That gives it 17.4 mill Sunday.  57 mill weekend, which is pretty absurd.  A 45% drop even with an 11 mill preview number harkens back to about a decade ago in terms of box office.  

Cars 3 could steal some of its thunder, maybe, but at this point, you can't really rule any kind of number out.  What a terrific second weekend.  I hope this does something insane and has a 4X.  

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Haven't watched WONDR but felt similarly about DP last year. 360+ CBM with great legs.

Was a nice movie but felt like the quality was not commensurate with the legs.

But was at least a fun watch...unlike one Disney live-action/animation that same year which beat DP marginally :ph34r:

This is sure. Box office=Quality is wrong .

3 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

You know, I read this all the time.  Box office never equals quality.  Well, films are subjective.  There's no doubt about that.  But if a film has a terrific multiplier, high audience scores, plenty of critical praise then what more do you need to see that a film is connecting with people?  So maybe you don't like it, but that also does not mean that it's not quality.  Wonder Woman has connected with people, so at this point, like it or not, it is a quality film.

• Like 19

12 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Be happy that both GV2 and WW does over $350M domestic both are great movies and help end superhero fatigue talks.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

How dare you sir, The Jungle Book was great. How much did WB/Universal/Fox pay you to say that? :ph34r:

Amount shall remain undisclosed. But it's a little more than what those penny-pinchers at Disney offered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Amount shall remain undisclosed. But it's a little more than what those penny-pinchers at Disney offered.

Bastards. I still remember Universal giving me a higher fee for praising Furious 7 two years ago than Disney's fees for Zootopia, Jungle Book and Moana all combined.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Bastards. I still remember Universal giving me a higher fee for praising Furious 7 two years ago than Disney's fees for Zootopia, Jungle Book and Moana all combined.

WB is not only paying my college fund for stanning and praising Lego movies. But 10x times the amount critics get paid for giving MCU movies great reviews which is $100,000,000 per critic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know, I read this all the time.  Box office never equals quality.  Well, films are subjective.  There's no doubt about that.  But if a film has a terrific multiplier, high audience scores, plenty of critical praise then what more do you need to see that a film is connecting with people?  So maybe you don't like it, but that also does not mean that it's not quality.  Wonder Woman has connected with people, so at this point, like it or not, it is a quality film.

On the other hand thought there are some very apparent counter examples.

Is Transformers, Twilight or Fifty Shades quality movies? 

No matter how much those movies are loved/connect with audiences there is no way you can call them quality works.

The whole matter is pretty subjective and a good way to start would be to give a definition of what a quality movie is.

As far as I am concerned, a quality movies needs to be satsfying in technical aspects (effects, cinematography, costumes, performances) as well as having a coherent plot and a compelling storyline.

I think that it is possible to find a good combination of both quality aspects as well as "popular" elements in a movie.

Afterall, the purpose of art is to communicate with audiences. You will find no artist that will be satisfied with a results that gets no response from the audience even If in his eyes it truly feels like a masterpiece. 

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

I'm pretty much paying to make most of Taika's movies.

Fuck, this is a raw deal.

Sony is paying me SM3 critic money for loving (which didn't take much thanks to Gods Lord/Miller) and stanning for Animated Spider-Man.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

WB is not only paying my college fund for stanning and praising Lego movies. But 10x times the amount critics get paid for giving MCU movies great reviews which is $100,000,000 per critic. 

Shit. I should've remembered to ask Sony for college fund when I was stanning for Don't Breathe and The Magnificent Seven last year.

Oh well, I'll do it to WB this year. I'll put Blade Runner billboards across my whole country if they pay my sophomore year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No matter how much those movies are loved/connect with audiences there is no way you can call them quality works.

The whole matter is pretty subjective and a good way to start would be to give a definition of what a quality movie is.

As far as I am concerned, a quality movies needs to be satsfying in technical aspects (effects, cinematography, costumes, performances) as well as having a coherent plot and a compelling storyline.

Huh? You are contradicting yourself. You say that THERE IS NO WAY that you could call Transformers quality, but then you say that this is all subjective.

And sorry, but Transformers is indeed a film that has "satsfying in technical aspects (effects, cinematography, costumes, performances) as well as having a coherent plot and a compelling storyline."

You want to talk about movies with incoherent plotlines and chintzy technical aspects, there are tons of those, but Transformers ain't one.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think that it is possible to find a good combination of both quality aspects as well as "popular" elements in a movie.

Afterall, the purpose of art is to communicate with audiences. You will find no artist that will be satisfied with a results that gets no response from the audience even If in his eyes it truly feels like a masterpiece. 

But again you are still talking subjectively. Maybe to you Transformers isn't great but the someone like Ethan Hunt and myself we love them. Maybe you don't particularly like 50 Shades of Grey but to the millions of people who pay to see it maybe they do. So just because you don't think something is good doesn't mean others can't.

• Like 8

I don't even think 50 Shades audience found it to be great. If they did the sequel would have exploded Twilight: New Moon style. I think most of the fans liked it well enough.

Wonder Woman's box office  definitely bodes well for Aquaman. James Wan is a quality director like Jenkins and should give us a quality film.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

13 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

The first Transformers is a quality summer blockbuster, absolutely.

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Huh? You are contradicting yourself. You say that THERE IS NO WAY that you could call Transformers quality, but then you say that this is all subjective.

And sorry, but Transformers is indeed a film that has "satsfying in technical aspects (effects, cinematography, costumes, performances) as well as having a coherent plot and a compelling storyline."

You want to talk about movies with incoherent plotlines and chintzy technical aspects, there are tons of those, but Transformers ain't one.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

But again you are still talking subjectively. Maybe to you Transformers isn't great but the someone like Ethan Hunt and myself we love them. Maybe you don't particularly like 50 Shades of Grey but to the millions of people who pay to see it maybe they do. So just because you don't think something is good doesn't mean others can't.

1.) When I was talking about the Transformers I was thinking about the sequels but anyway s.

2.) It is subjective up to a point.

You have to be crazy to say that Fifty Shades is quality work. I dont think that even the fans of the series believe it is.

Subjectiveness is one part but as I latter pointed out there are some objective parts you cannot skip.

• Like 1