YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

Father's Day is an interesting question over how much it'll help WW. Superhero movies clearly prosper this weekend, but with Wonder Woman being a more female-driven film, it could make a slight difference. I still see $35m+ as likely to happen, and...

Spoiler

...if Cars 3 pulls a Good Dinosaur on us.....who knows?

1 minute ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Father's Day is an interesting question over how much it'll help WW. Superhero movies clearly prosper this weekend, but with Wonder Woman being a more female-driven film, it could make a slight difference. I still see $35m+ as likely to happen, and...

Reveal hidden contents

Well, like we were talking about last weekend, it's more female-driven than your average CBM, however it's split pretty evenly across genders. It's a type of movie everyone in the family can and wants to see.

So, we're likely looking at a Wonder Woman total approaching $265M by the end of next weekend. Even if drops are harder with Tranformers 5. DM3, and Spider-Man following in Weekends #4-6, it looks like $320M is the floor, and $335M+ is likely for Wonder Woman. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Does anyone actually have the balls to start a Wonder Woman Weekend 3 > Cars 3 Weekend 1 club?

Good Dinosaur still got 39m, I can see Cars 3 getting 40-50m.

A 40% or even 35% drop would give WW under 40m.

I would be out of that club, but I can see it coming close.

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I can't believe WW is this year SLOP where I get infuriated by a film's run.

Let the rage, bitterness, and hatred consume you...just let it flow through your veins...and make Ares stronger...

TJH_1216_5_58536a2a3592e9.31677810.jpg

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

Yeah, I don't think it's happening but it doesn't sound as farfetched now as it did just a week ago. I think Cars 3 lands around $50M.

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

Cars 2 opened to $66M, and this one looks more interesting than that. Even with a drop in interest, I don't see how WW clears Cars 3. I agree with $50M+ for its opening weekend. 

Edited by kswiston

Was this posted already? If so, I'll delete it.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-whipping-tom-cruise-mummy-weekend-box-office-1202111169/

6th Update, Sunday AM 7:36AM:

Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman continues to be the popular ticket with her second Saturday of $23.8M +51% over Friday. This now puts the Patty Jenkins-directed movie on course for a second weekend of $57.2M, which by the way is more than what Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad both made in their second weekends (respectively $51.3M and $43.5M).

That’s remarkable when you consider that both titles posted bigger opening weekends ($166M, $133.6M) than Wonder Woman ($103.2M).

Should these figures maintain their pace into tomorrow, Wonder Woman‘s second weekend will be down 45%, which is an amazing hold for a superhero movie beating the 50%-60% average decline we typically see for Marvel fare in its sophomore session. The Gal Gadot movie should stand at $205M by EOD Sunday. Among all WB/DC superhero features’ second weekends at the B.O., Wonder Woman will file behind Dark Knight ($75.1M) and Dark Knight Rises ($62.1M).

In updated ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrak audience polls this weekend, women continue to lead the charge into Wonder Woman screenings at 55% with women over 25 numbering 32%, and women under 25 repping 23% of all moviegoers. Thirty-two percent of those under 25 are watching Wonder Woman in a group — with two to four friends. The DC female superhero movie still has an awesome 75% definite recommend.

Universal’s The Mummy is -4% today with $11.5M from its opening day of $12M. This puts the Tom Cruise movie slightly higher in its opening at $32.2M, but it’s still a failure at the domestic box office with a lackluster audience response of B-, and an even worse Rotten Tomatoes score of 17% (it keeps going lower).

In third place is DreamWorks Animation/20th Century Fox’s Captain Underpants which grew 36% between Friday and Saturday with $4.9M and an estimated second weekend of $12.3M, -48% and 10-day of $44.6M.

A24’s horror movie It Comes at Night lost $400K between Friday’s $2.4M and today’s $2M with a revised estimated weekend take of $5.7M. Bad word of mouth here with a D CinemaScore and that’s overpowering any positive review for this movie (86% certified fresh) and weighing down on the pic’s box office potential. Bleecker Street’s Kate Mara war drama Megan Leavey is still on track to do $3.8M over three days.

• Like 1