fmpro

Friday estimates GR2 7 , TV 7,4 and SH 6,5

Safe House' has early lead at holiday B.O.

B.O. analysts have "Safe House" grossing between $6 million -$7 million Friday for a four-day cume of $24-$26 million, while Sony's "Ghost Rider" sequel, which opened Friday at 3,174 locations including 2,352 in 3D, is tracking slightly ahead Friday with $6.5 million -$7.5 million -- but it's expected to drop off to the low- to mid-twenties for the weekend.

Reigning B.O. champ "The Vow," from Screen Gems/Spyglass, is also holding well, with bizzers pegging the film gross to gross in the low $20M's through Monday. The Channing Tatum-Rachel Adams romancer, directed by Michael Sucsy, has cumed $61.9 million through Thursday, thanks to a pre- and post-Valentines day surge, and could break the $100 million mark by next week.

Warners' "Journey 2," meanwhile, is seeing a slight uptick from kids out of class for the Presidential holiday, grossing $4.5M to $5.5 million Friday for a four day take of $20 million-$21 million.

Fox's romance actioner "This Means War," starring Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Tom Hardy, is currently in fifth place with a Friday estimated cume of $4.5 -$5.5 million and an expected four day tally in the mid-to-high teens.

Disney's Studio Ghibli toon "The Secret World of Arrietty," another new release, should gross in the $1.5 million range Friday for a four day cume of $6-$7 million

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118050477

Edited by kyky

Compared to Ponyo, that Arrietty number is good but still 6-7 million is quite low.

Considering the small theatre count, it's actually going to make twice as much as Ponyo's opening weekend in one day and it's total gross in a single weekend and will easily be the biggest non-Pokemon anime opening. I'd say it's a victory for the studio, especially since Miyazaki himself didn't actually direct it.
  • Like 2

Safe House and The Vow looking strong for 100m. Journey 2 with a decent shot depending on how strong the 4-day weekend is for it. Great start to 2012, much more interesting than last year, and we still have TASM, TDKR, Hobbit, Avengers, etc. Going to be a monster year.

Compared to Ponyo, that Arrietty number is good but still 6-7 million is quite low.

Low I suppose...not that anyone was expecting it to do much of anything. Compared to expectations, it's actually not bad at all.

I'd say it's a victory for the studio, especially since Miyazaki himself didn't actually direct it.

Victory seems like a reasonable thing to say...that being said, while it should mean something it not being directed by Miyazaki...let's be realistic...barely anybody in the US market would know that, or would know it to mean anything in the first place. Edited by kowhite

Low I suppose...not that anyone was expecting it to do much of anything. Compared to expectations, it's actually not bad at all.Victory seems like a reasonable thing to say...that being said, while it should mean something it not being directed by Miyazaki...let's be realistic...barely anybody in the US market would know that, or would know it to mean anything in the first place.

Well marketing did a good job in that regard. Hell, people I knew in the animation industry thought Miyazaki directed it so what does that tell you? It's a definite victory.