Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

the saturday increase across the board is stronger than 2006's, sunday drop maybe harsher.....while 2006's sunday only dropped around 5%

in these instances, i find it best to calculate the Sunday/Friday ratio from 2006 instead of going by Saturday drops.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

have a question to USA/Canada's friends here, how are the cinema in USA looks like? I mean, where are their location? is it independently existed as a cinema, or incorporated inside another building like shopping mall?  

Because here in Malaysia, all of the cinema are inside the shopping mall and most of them are just next to sub-way station or transportation hub, making a lot of convenient for moviegoers, and as far as I can remember, I never see an independent cinema existed here in my country. And I find that it's easier for cinema that located inside the shopping mall to compete with online streaming.    

Exactly the same here in Indonesia. Well, there is one big standalone theater in Jakarta, which is one the oldest ones I think, built in 1932. But modern theaters are always inside shopping malls. I actually think there should be more standalone theaters here, especially in small towns and rural areas. That way the tickets can be cheaper, and it also will be easier for low-income people to access.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I think 2018 will be the true test. We'll have 10 next years:

- 3 from the MCU (BP, IW, AMW)

- 3 from Fox (NM, DP2, Phoenix)

- 2 from Sony (Venom, SPTAM)

- 1 from DCEU (AQM)

- 1 from Disney (TI2)

All ten in 2018??? Damn

Well it will be a test indeed.

What is SPTAM?

13 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Only because Transformers 5 superbombed.

That plus all the other mediocre franchises putting up underwhelming numbers. It's nice to see Hollywood reaping what they sow and hopefully being encouraged to take some more risks on new stuff.

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

So you are saying this saturday is not behaving like a normal saturday?

Yes, of course.  DM3 should have increased by 20% from true Friday.  WW should have gone up by 20% more and so on.  

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

That plus all the other mediocre franchises putting up underwhelming numbers. It's nice to see Hollywood reaping what they sow and hopefully being encouraged to take some more risks on new stuff.

Except the new stuff will also lose them boatloads unless it's cheap horror at this point.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I actually agree that it's better than The Little Mermaid, but I couldn't ever bring myself to think that it stands stronger than The Lion King or BATB ever. Still, respect for your bold opinion.

I love The Lion King, actually, but I think that Beauty and the Beast is overrated.

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's about execution really.

The most successful movies this summer are older franchises, aside from Baby Driver and probably Dunkirk (though Nolan is virtually a franchise).

11 minutes ago, catlover said:

Exactly the same here in Indonesia. Well, there is one big standalone theater in Jakarta, which is one the oldest ones I think, built in 1932. But modern theaters are always inside shopping malls. I actually think there should be more standalone theaters here, especially in small towns and rural areas. That way the tickets can be cheaper, and it also will be easier for low-income people to access.

same, the older generation had their moviegoing experience in standalone cinema, but standalone is not competitive anymore as the land price become so crazy nowadays..... 

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

So the Pixar loons/Illumination haters were onto something this time

Certainly not an Illumination hata but, for the life of me, I don't see how only a few saw the signs for DM3 dropping.

Nothing to do with the studio's slate or lack of good faith (I would argue they have a better trust with the GA more than Pixar, right now). It's the simple fact that we're talking about a franchise in its third official installment (fourth, counting the prequel Minions). At that stage, numbers start to drop and the core audience starts to move on. Did you like the exact same thing as a little kid for seven years? Of course not, your tastes changed. Same thing here. 

It's still a big success obviously but one can see why they pushed for Minions when they did two years ago instead of DM3.

• Like 5

So my anecdotal evidence about DM3 performing worse than Friday lined up with the box office. I'll see where it's at today, although this isn't Canada. 

Using a 5% drop today, this is where it lands:

77M Weekend

It would need a 3.27x to surpass the first's gross.

DM3 might actually go under $235M aka Shrek 4 numbers Domestic with that type of OW.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

So my anecdotal evidence about DM3 performing worse than Friday lined up with the box office. I'll see where it's at today, although this isn't Canada. 

Using a 5% drop today, this is where it lands:

77M Weekend

It would need a 3.27x to surpass the first's gross.

This should be the end of the Cars franchise at least theatrically.  I imagine if Lasseter has an idea they'll probably go forward. Though around the Disney fan community there are rumors that he will be retiring the next few years  and Pete Docter is being groomed as his replacement

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAR said:

This should be the end of the Cars franchise at least theatrically.  I imagine if Lasseter has an idea they'll probably go forward. Though around the Disney fan community there are rumors that he will be retiring the next few years  and Pete Docter is being groomed as his replacement

I think down the line in ten years or so, Pixar will have its first reboot which will be Cars.