Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Deadpool 2 decreasing should be inevitable regardless, but that schedule 1000% guarantees it is inevitable. Could decrease significantly even if the schedule stays the same. Smack dab in the middle of 4 other releases that are literally locked for 300m, 3 of them probably locked for 400. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I crunch some numbers earlier and if it continues Falling week-to-week by about 35% it should get to 390 without any dollar theater expansion or double features and not even taking into consideration Labor Day might give it a boost as well. At this point I think 400 million is a 50-50 shot.

Yeah. This weekend's solid mid-30% drop should be further kept in context of a very strong Mon/Tue yet to come. It's very much on track to challenge the summer crown.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The first Deadpool made like 363mil. I think the chances of the sequel increasing are pretty freaking slim. Not impossible but it's going to be tough especially with a film like Deadpool that acts more like a comedy than most superhero films.

Yeah I at least see a SM1 to SM2 like drop which gives about 335 dom.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The first Deadpool made like 363mil. I think the chances of the sequel increasing are pretty freaking slim. Not impossible but it's going to be tough especially with a film like Deadpool that acts more like a comedy than most superhero films.

Only one movie that managed to increase from it's predecessor which gross more than $350m, and that is catching fire from the 1st HG, from $408m to $424m, and catching fire generally regarded as the improvement from the 1st and the best of the series.

to improve from $363m, deadpool MUST critically or better-received than the 1st, that's precondition, and the biggest unknown here when we predict whether it's going to grow more or less. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Deadpool 2 decreasing should be inevitable regardless, but that schedule 1000% guarantees it is inevitable. Could decrease significantly even if the schedule stays the same. 

Although if Han Solo moves does it slide into Memorial Day weekend?

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I crunch some numbers earlier and if it continues Falling week-to-week by about 35% it should get to 390 without any dollar theater expansion or double features and not even taking into consideration Labor Day might give it a boost as well. At this point I think 400 million is a 50-50 shot.

With SM opening it's not going to drop just 35% this upcoming w/e and it's going to start to lose theaters a lot quicker than it has to up to this point with SM, Apes and Dunkirk opening - movies with great reviews which will most likely also hold onto their theaters and screens unlike Pirates/Mummy/Trans5/Cars

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Only one movie that managed to increase from it's predecessor which gross more than $350m, and that is catching fire from the 1st HG, from $408m to $424m, and catching fire generally regarded as the improvement from the 1st and the best of the series.

to improve from $363m, deadpool MUST critically or better-received than the 1st, that's precondition, and the biggest unknown here when we predict whether it's going to grow more or less. 

Oh it's for sure going to have to have a better reception I think. I personally think that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was very lucky to do as well as it did. It was lucky to increase from its predecessors 333 million.

BD forecast:

Remainder of this week: 16M (46M Total)

Jul 7: 14.1M (8M weekdays, 68.1M Total)

Jul 14: 9.2M (5.2M weekdays, 82.5M Total)

Jul 21: 6M (3.4M weekdays, 91.9M Total)

Jul 28: 4.2M (2.4M weekdays, 98.5M Total)

Aug 4: 2.7M (1.4M weekdays, 102.6M Total)

Aug 11: 1.6M (800k weekdays, 105M Total)

Aug 18: 1M (500k weekdays, 106.5M Total)

Final Total: 110M (5.24x from 3 day/3.67x from 5 day)

• Like 2

Wonder where the Transformers series goes from here. They already somewhat rebooted the series in the previous movie with a brand new cast so another reboot won't make much of a difference. Bumblebee might end up sub 100M domestic.

The writers room they had assembled was very talented, can't believe those names cranked out this movie that we watched. 

Just now, a2knet said:

The way sequels have behaved this year (dom), extra kudos to GOTG2.

Guardians is now one of Disney s biggest & beloved brand in America no doubt.

Once Visionary James Gunn is done with the 3rd Movement of his Pop-Rock Symphony, spin-offs wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Oh it's for sure going to have to have a better reception I think. I personally think that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was very lucky to do as well as it did. It was lucky to increase from its predecessors 333 million.

It was helped w that aside from WW there were so many under-perfomring if not out right dud films released over the last two months so it's been able to hold onto theaters and screens longer.  The first was helped similarly in an near August dead zone while also having the great added perk of summer days. 

Guardians 1 had better critical reception than guardians 2 and yet guardians 2 will increase nearly 60m dom. I dont see why deadpool 2 has to fall from the first one if it receives similar or better reception than the first one. The only impediment that I can see right now is the incredibly loaded late may/june schedule. Something should move. I was hoping Han Solo would move to December especially after the Lord/Miller fiasco but it doesnt look like it will

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wonder where the Transformers series goes from here. They already somewhat rebooted the series in the previous movie with a brand new cast so another reboot won't make much of a difference. Bumblebee might end up sub 100M domestic.

The writers room they had assembled was very talented, can't believe those names cranked out this movie that we watched. 

Different director. Even Bay fans agree it is time for a fresh perspective 

make it take place off Earth. That might shake things up a bit