Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Just now, narniadis said:

Technically Baumer Guardians 1 had a smidgen better legs than Spider man 1

True. On top of that it came in the Thu previews era where MCU/DCEU fans especially are gungho going on Thu night.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, if you ask me... :ph34r:

In all serious, it's actually Frozen's run is only second to Avatar's in terms of awesomeness.

I get the feeling I'll fully appreciate how great Wonder Women's run once it's over.

Me thinks, Avatar > Titanic > Frozen. WW might be in the Top 20 awesome runs (haven't thought over this. lol) after all this is over.

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Frozen did almost 6x to it's OW. 

Can you provide a list of animated movies with best multiplier to OW?

Also other than big players; avatar, TFA, some other movies with great runs.

THANKS!

Frozen had its wide opening on a Wednesday, so that multiplier is slightly deceiving. I wonder how it would have been if it faced a Star Wars or an Avatar.  

Show me another modern superhero movie with better legs than Wonder Woman in the North American Market?  oh you won't be able to show me that in a few weeks because it won't exist. If one isn't impressed by Wonder Woman's North American run then they can't be impressed by anything.

3 hours ago, narniadis said:

Technically Baumer Guardians 1 had a smidgen better legs than Spider man 1

You know what?  I was actually not aware of this.  That's truly incredible that GOTG did that.  Thanks for pointing it out. :)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, KathNiel said:

Me thinks, Avatar > Titanic > Frozen. WW might be in the Top 20 awesome runs (haven't thought over this. lol) after all this is over.

Titanic's in a world of its own. And from too distant of an era.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, bruchav said:

As you can see, growth in countries in Asia and Latin America is  higher than in Europe, with the exception of Brazil that is not growing because of a political crisis, but if you catch the growth of Asia and Latin America  from 1990 to 2015, you will see that they grew a lot while Europe was stagnant, That gap will be even bigger in the near future according to forecasts.

Yes but because Asia is growing more does not mean Europe is shrinking, Europe is not stagnant, it is growing. Certain states in the EU (like Greece) are stagnant and certain states in the US are also stagnant.

In other news...... isn't that Wondy figure inflated because it was a public holiday?

Wonder Woman is getting all the female audience which has been really neglected this summer, there has been nothing made for them. Remember that females represent 50% of the audience, not a small number.

Also I imagine it is getting the over age 40 audience (fans of the WW 70s tv show) that typically don't go see movies in theaters at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know what?  I was actually not aware of this.  That's truly incredible that GOTG did that.  Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Something I only learned from MikeQs stuff on the wonder woman run

• Like 1

Wonder Woman is getting all the female audience which has been really neglected this summer, there has been nothing made for them. Remember that females represent 50% of the audience, not a small number.

Also I imagine it is getting the over age 40 audience (fans of the WW 70s tv show) that typically don't go see movies in theaters at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

Yes but because Asia is growing more does not mean Europe is shrinking, Europe is not stagnant, it is growing. Certain states in the EU (like Greece) are stagnant and certain states in the US are also stagnant.

In other news...... isn't that Wondy figure inflated because it was a public holiday?

The opposite.  July 4th is not a good movie going day in the US.  If it was a normal day, then WW and every film would have gone up by 25-40%.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

I think WW is in the Top 10 of all-time box Office runs, but it doesn't make the Top 5 IMO. The Top 5 are in no particular order:

Titanic

The Force Awakens

American Sniper

Frozen

I assume this is exclusive to the 21st Century outside of Titanic? No Sixth Sense? No Greek Wedding? No Something About Mary?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

So the Wonder Woman over GotG2 domestic possibility grows stronger every day. What a year. That only cherry on top at this point would be if she takes home another Oscar for DC/WB.

145-150 ow/2.3-2.4x/345-350 dom is something I will gladly take for JL.

Considering it's Nov, ow might be a bit low but with good legs (for a DCEU 'sequel').

Actually thought below BVS was at least on the cards, if not for WONDR raising all boats just like TA changed fortunes for MCU movies that release right after it.

(not that WONDR will have as big an impact as TA, but for a movie releasing soon after it with Wondy having a big role, surely will help a lot)

Edited by a2knet

26 minutes ago, a2knet said:

GOTG2 dropped 53% when WONDR opened but that was partly because it was coming off Mem Day inflated weekend/Sunday.

This weekend even though Sunday was better than usual, Sat was deflated. So overall the weekend was normal, maybe even a little deflated.

So WONDR could show a much better drop against Spidey, than GOTG2 showed against WONDR.

Also WONDR as it is has shown much better legs than GOTG2. So sub 45% drop against Spidey won't shock me.

And what do you think about the possibility of it making around 400M$?!

Everything went right for Frozen, it had a favorable release date, weak competition, genius marketing, social media explosion, hit song, even the weather was on its side. Not something that is easily repeatable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I assume this is exclusive to the 21st Century outside of Titanic? No Sixth Sense? No Greek Wedding? No Something About Mary?

Those were just the ones off the top of my head. I forgot about Greek Wedding, that belongs in there, too. Deadpool does as well, tbh. That film made more domestically than many people thought it would make worldwide lol. E.T. and Star Wars: A New Hope might also be up there, though that was a totally different era. Sixth Sense and Something About Mary were quite impressive, but I'm not sure how I would rank them. And if we talk about CBMs, how can one forget The Avengers and TDK? So many great runs over the years.