kayumanggi

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP | 406.0 M overseas ● 622.7 M worldwide

The movie must have under-performed in many markets since it still didn't cross 400M despite opening in all markets including all-important China. OTOH, MI6 that opened later has already made 514M OS.  I guess AM franchise has lop-sided OS success, some markets where it's big (SK, China) and markets that are indifferent (LA, parts of Europe?). 

On 9/9/2018 at 11:22 AM, Valonqar said:

I guess AM franchise has lop-sided OS success, some markets where it's big (SK, China) and markets that are indifferent (LA, parts of Europe?). 

That make it sound like the World Cup could have been a factor (if those ratio from the first Ant-Man are different), Europe and LA being probably quite the most crazy about that event.

Edited by Barnack

21 hours ago, Valonqar said:

The movie must have under-performed in many markets since it still didn't cross 400M despite opening in all markets including all-important China. OTOH, MI6 that opened later has already made 514M OS.  I guess AM franchise has lop-sided OS success, some markets where it's big (SK, China) and markets that are indifferent (LA, parts of Europe?). 

12 hours ago, Barnack said:

That make it sound like the World Cup could have been a factor (if those ratio from the first Ant-Man are different)

I think the delay in Europe muted the hype for the movie. Looks like it had either small increases or small declines (UK) in Europe. I think superhero movies need to release no more than 2 weeks apart in terms of domestic and Europe. China and Japan are fine for late releases even though this movie left money on the table due to MI 6 in China. 

Good numbers. I'd say that Ant-Man over performs internationally, particularly in China and does well most other places but it's not a mega grosser for it's genre and that's okay. Unless a comic book movie absolutely has to cost 200mil by creating other worlds like Black Panther and Aquaman, studios should avoid that price point at all costs until the know what kind of money that a comic book movie franchise will make at the bare minimum.

• Like 1

I don't think it over-performed internationally. It had a stumbling block in LA, but sizzling success in SK and China was a good OW increase but MI6 cut its legs shorter. 400M OS has always been in cards so nothing above expected. I remember that we initially projected the movie to hit 700M WW, then there was Ant Man over JL but neither prediction materialized. 

• Like 2

This is a fine result, but definitely lower than I’d hoped and expected. There are some specific factors to point to in some markets as an explanation, but overall it just made less money than every phase 2 movie but AM1, and had a small % increase despite AM1 having a lot of room to improve on. It seems pretty clear that audiences are treating this as a second-class MCU sub franchise (with the exception of China, where it’s one of the top solo franchises). Considering that the movies are good and the MCU is bigger than ever, that’s a bit sad.

• Like 1

It is $7M away from topping Iron Man 2, which would only make it the second worst first sequel of the MCU.

Not bad though for an ant... Let's face it, this was never gonna be mega-hit and it didn't need to. But it's surpassed its predecessor by about 20%. More than what most sequels achieve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think it over-performed internationally. It had a stumbling block in LA, but sizzling success in SK and China was a good OW increase but MI6 cut its legs shorter. 400M OS has always been in cards so nothing above expected. I remember that we initially projected the movie to hit 700M WW, then there was Ant Man over JL but neither prediction materialized. 

I understand that and you do have a point but I think that even with the Marvel name helping it that an Ant-Man movie making over 400mil/600mil in total is very good. It's premise and characters just aren't as appealing as other Marvel films. I over predicted the film as well but that's only because of Black Panther and Infinity War hype. It's not always the film's fault when fans get overzealous.

I've already said before that I'm glad that it's ending under JL because Marvel fans and others were totally being childish and weird by wanting it specifically to be over that film. Plently of films have made more than JL worldwide, that's not a special milestone. JL is still a flop so Ant-Man and The Wasp not making as much means nothing. What means something is that Ant-Man and The Wasp passed it's predecessor. Tying its success to Justice League because of some bizarre vendetta only makes it look bad. 

Oh, it's a great success and lets not forget over Solo on every front! :lol: It skews older because family man character, regular family problems (none of fancy royal household drama of Asgard and Wakanda), older cast in general and that's always going to attract less teens who gravitate toward younger characters or older characters with cool lifestyle (playboy billionaire vs deadbeat dad) who feel younger. It increased from the first more than much more anticipated Vol 2 increased from GOTG and that's saying something. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It skews older because family man character,

According to cinemascore, their debut demo

Black panther: 53% over 25

Guardians Vol. 2: 58% over 25

Civil War: 59% over 25

Ant-Man 2: 62% over 25

Doctor strange: 67% over 25 (with an only 8% teen!)

Seem to be true by a little bit, but not spectacularly so, MCU is getting old outside Spider man (and that is getting family audience quite a bit). Black panther was particularly young.