CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Civil War had a Thursday of AUD3.05m and an OW of AUD17.372.

The same multiplier gives AUD16m

OK.  Here it is.

I'm going with USD140-160m

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Spiderman should do over likely 550-600 million overseas I think it seems

OPenings around the world are very strong fueled by IM and Spiderman.

I remember ASM2 did 500 + 

TASM2 did 506M with favorable exchange rates. I am thinking this does about the same, around 550M or so which would be great considering how the exchange rates are currently. Iron Man's presence will help a lot as well as you mention.

9 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Whether presales are necessary or not is irrelevant anyway. We have data from presales for superhero movies released one month and two months ago. Presale habits have not changed since then. They're valid comparisons. 

Not to mention they're usually a good indicator of the range of how a film will do beforehand. Of course reviews can possibly box office, but that's almost aside the point. 

Still I wish the best for SMH, and hope it does exceptionally well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Civil War had a Thursday of AUD3.05m and an OW of AUD17.372.

The same multiplier gives AUD16m

OK.  Here it is.

I'm going with USD140-160m

Mini Jurassic World!

I called it! :sparta:

SMH is picking up, it might make that paper paper paper. If it breaks out big that's my second week in a row I fucked up, I way overshot DM3 last week and overcompensate by maybe undershooting this. We'll see though. The rest of the summer has been a good look for me so far, but the losses are more memorable than the gains.

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Even though Superman the Movie and Batman 89 are no slouches.

Both are in the 500's adjusted.

And those three characters are basically the three most recognizable superheroes in the world too. Not bad, not bad at all.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Disappointment to blowout. I like how this thread is going.

Didn't the entire Wonder Woman thread basically just keep discussing how the Australian numbers meant a 70M weekend domestically for like 20+ pages? This is nothing new.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

JP is fantastic. I'm sure @Jay Hollywood will crucify me here but my favorite shot  in that movie is one of the characters like sitting up and looking at the camera or something like that. It's not an action shot but it works so well. We don't get a lot of those shots of characters just reacting anymore. :(

Why would I be made about that? Look at my Avatar! 

The Berg & Cundey shot that movie so well. I love the ass shot of Grant when we looking up at the cow. The same scene we get that great moment where we have tow conversations happening at once in the same frame. 

The reason Jurassic Park works is because the Berg for the first 18 minutes holds back and theres no money/big epic shots. Its all shoulder level or lower until we pull up at the island. He holds back on Establishing shots until we arrive. If he cut to one wide of Montana's mountains or a laboratory, or city, harbor and not a small trailer and close ups the movie would suck. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Didn't the entire Wonder Woman thread basically just keep discussing how the Australian numbers meant a 70M weekend domestically for like 20+ pages? This is nothing new.

Maybe I should hang out in weekend threads more often.

The last Spider-Man films have hurt 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'. I've been saying this for some time.

Three bad movies, 13 years, it's too much...

And don't tell me "But the fans of the cinematic Spider-Man since 2002". The decline is clear and strong in the last films. People in general became more and more tired of the character after three bad movies in a row (and two reboots). 

Also don't tell me "I believe Captain America: Civil War has recovered the character". No. 20 good minutes of a character in a Captain America movie, with several other good characters could never recover so much damage at once. Things are not so simple.

Also don't come up with "But it's Spider-Man, everyone loves Spider-Man". It has been more than proven that audiences who watch superhero films are more interested in new things. GOTG was bigger than ASM2 in 2014, Doctor Strange did very well, Deadpool and Suicide Squad were huge, Wonder Woman too.

• Like 11

I know that the Australian numbers sometimes point to over performances and under performances but I'm not going to be jumping up and down. I'm waiting for the actual North American numbers. 

And yes Wonder Woman clearly showed everyone that you better not be looking at the Australian numbers too closely all the time.

• Like 2

That Deadline number is obscenely early but also outside of BATB they've been hella accurate with similar calls around the same time so.....I don't know. I still am seeing this landing somewhere in the 90s. But it's starting to pick up presales and sell outs all over. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpiritComix said:

Also don't come up with "But it's Spider-Man, everyone loves Spider-Man". It has been more than proven that audiences who watch superhero films are more interested in new things. GOTG was bigger than ASM2 in 2014, Doctor Strange did very well, Deadpool and Suicide Squad were huge, Wonder Woman too.

This is my #1 reason why I'm not quite on the disappointment train quite yet. You do have some good examples, though.

• Like 1

They said 10+, where are people getting these doctor strange numbers from?  10+ could easily mean 12 million 13 million or 14 million. Were people expecting the early reports to be 20 million or something?

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1