CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 minute ago, raegr said:

but it doesn't really push the envelope like Marvel/Fox and DC does

That's fine but we need to respect what these films are and what they are trying to accomplish...

You lost me.

47 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Apocalypse was great. Only Fantastic Beasts, La La Land and Hunt for aabatteryspeople were slightly better than it last year.

Definitely the best CBM of 2016.

All according to me.

Anything else?

@Arlborn   You really put a big smile on my face with ''aabatteryspeople'' Thank you, I respect diversity and how people think different from each other. I didnt like Apocalypse, but I  don't question why other people love it because people have different taste. I only disagree when almost 99.9% have the same opinion and the other 0.1% wont stop harassing them with his choice, Finally   @aabattery you made Taika and his movies a trade mark on BOT, well done. ;)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, raegr said:

but it doesn't really push the envelope like Marvel/Fox and DC does

That's fine but we need to respect what these films are and what they are trying to accomplish...

But pushing the envelope doesn't always work out and can create controversy amongst fans. Sure Deadpool and Logan are huge successes with audiences and fans but BvS and Suicide Squad show it doesn't always pay off. Sometimes you're better off to just play it safe. 

Edited by Rman823

I find it interesting people accuse marvel of not taking risks/gambles. 

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Doctor Strange a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

What marvel did with these properties and the 'acclaim' they get is incredible. Jmo

• Like 1

Just now, FilmBuff said:

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

What marvel did with these properties and the 'acclaim' they get is incredible. Jmo

Yeah but these movies were still "generic and followed the Marvel formula" so you can't count them as taking risks.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider Doctor Strange a risk because at that point Marvel can do anything and bring in money. And also I really like doctor strange but it's a reskinned Iron Man. 

Obviously Marvel has taken risks, if they didn't we wouldn't have the MCU but Doctor Strange was not a risk.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

Let's not forget the biggest risk of all: Iron Man. No one outside of comic book geeks knew who that was in 2008, and now in less than a decade he's joined Batman/Superman/Spiderman's tier of the most recognizable comic book characters in the world. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

Eh I think it's more in the sense of they aren't making anything that has the complexity of Logan or Wonder Woman. (Not that love seen either of there 2017 efforts)

People do know that Suicide Squad won an Oscar for its makeup. There's nothing wrong with the film winning for its makeup.

The amount of butthurt that I saw from Marvel fans about that win was embarrassing. The film won a technical Oscar and they were acting like it won for Best Picture.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Wasnt Gotg a risk?

Wasnt Thor a risk?

Wasnt Antman a risk?

What people forget about Marvel is that most of their characters are B-leage and C-league characters. They weren't popular at all before these movies.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Yeah but these movies were still "generic and followed the Marvel formula" so you can't count them as taking risks.

Yeah lets spend $200M on a tree and talking racoon, if that not a risk!! WHAT DO YOU CALL IT. Marvel succeeded because it took HUGE risks. The whole movie industry is shaped now because of Marvel. Give Marvel a little credit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Most funny fact about dc vs marvel is-

Total oscars

SS- 1

MCU- 0

It gets more funny by including some more movies,

Shaws... Redemption- 0

And many others.

I thought the world agreed to never mention this again?