CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

No it didn't...WW,a rebooted Superman and SS had less chances than Guardians 2,Infinity War,Spiderman.Black Panther may not even do it(i believe it will but Aquaman can also do it).

SS had Joker and Batman all over the marketing, it was apparent that it was going to hit $100M on OW. MoS was the return of Superman in years in a new CBM gilded age which was hyped to full extent. WW was the first female superhero movie in years. We had a very prominent $100M+ OW club for it.

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

JLD and Night Wing Are solid canidates.

GCC Is s the bet along with Aquaman,Flash and Batman.

I think GSC might be a $350M+ grosser. Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn will be massive draws. Aquaman and Flash I see at $100M+ OW, Batman can even do $150M+ OW. JLD has a great chance for $100M+ OW, I'm only unsure about Nightwing.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Ending all of the DCEU/MCU nonsense box office wise...

Star Wars >>>>>> DCEU/MCU

...it's a debate over the scraps. Who finishes 2nd or 3rd to Disney's Star Wars saga and live-action reboots of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc.

Last 35 years, only two directors have kept highest grossing movie Worldwide record.

Steven and james.

Steven with e.t. and jurassic park.

James with titanic and avatar.

Let's see who will be third. I hope not any franchise film.

8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

You have no idea how this actually works.  Theaters will have already booked their prints long before any RT score comes out.  

Yes, but they know how movies are looking long before RT scores come out...and they plan low - turning this from prints to screens (which is tangible for BO), both my 12 screen locals have started with no more than 2 screens for any summer movie except GOTG 2 (which got 3)...and all non-super/non-sequel tentpoles have started with 1 (even BD and CU)...

They have a much easier time finding showings and even screens to add when the audience is actually showing...they found a full screen + extra showings for WW ON THE FRIDAY of opening weekend b/c WW was a hit (and it kept that extra screen all week).  They just found 2 extra showings a night for SMH on the FRIDAY NIGHT of OW.    

So, if I was a 12 (and I know this is what my 2 12s will do b/c they've done it well all summer to their own benefit), everything but Star Wars gets 1 screen for Christmas, and I'd see who shows up b/c with the summer going the way it has, that's the safe, money-making call...and I'll keep some holdovers from Nov that I know I'll have some showing flexibility with b/c they are unlikely to have tons of presales...and I can steal a showing and 2 from them easily...

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Spider-Man: Homecoming sold 68,400 tickets here, becoming the biggest OW for a MCU movie in our country not counting the team up movies. Big Pictures showing it is possible to open big, we need to ban Disney asap. 

Yup, so it seems. Either ban them, or Disney needs to put their Minnie Mouse mouths in Big Pictures' crotch extensions and ask them (or any other major distributor in Portugal, really) to promote their movies from now on.

• Like 1

Just now, narniadis said:

@TwoMisfits you are using your local theaters to provide anecdotal evidence to the entire nation. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. I'm not sure how much clearer people can be on this subject that you are beating into the ground. 

I didn't beat it into the ground - I woke up and responded directly to someone who wrote me last night...

And "doesn't work that way" here is great, but reserved seating for free didn't "work that way" most places even 1-2 years ago...some places are the visionaries and then some places adopt the vision and keep up...quickly...

All this petty debating is goofy. Until otherwise proven, Avengers(Disney/Marvel Studios), Dark Knight (WB/DC), Spider-man (Sony/Marvel) and Batman (WB/DC) are the unquestioned champions of CBM box office admissions/ All of the aforementioned adjust/inflate to $550M+. After those titles, we have Spider-man 2(Sony/Marvel), Dark Knight Rises (WB/DC) and Superman (WB/DC). The second set inflates/adjusts to $500M+ DOM.

Then, we have the stuff that's in between.

$499M - $400M adjusted for inflation...

Men In Black

Ultron

Spider-man 3

Iron Man 3

Civil War

$399-$335M adjusted for inflation...

Iron Man

Guardians Vol. 2*

Batman Forever

Wonder Woman*

Iron Man 2

Guardians Vol. 1

Batman Returns

Batman v. Superman

Suicide Squad

Man Of Steel

Otherwise, at the moment, pretty much everything that's released by the rival studios is performing very, very well. Not to mention, Fox has found some impressive footing with Deadpool, Logan and - the best superhero adaptation for TV ever in my view - Legion. Everyone's reaping the rewards to varying degrees. All's well for everyone.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

All this petty debating is goofy. Until otherwise proven, Avengers(Disney/Marvel Studios), Dark Knight (WB/DC) and Spider-man (Sony/Marvel) are the unquestioned champions of CBM box office admissions followed by Spider-man 2(Sony/Marvel) and Superman (WB/DC). At the moment, pretty much everything that's released by the rival companies is performing very, very well. Not to mention, Fox has found some impressive footing with Deadpool, Logan and - the best superhero adaptation for TV ever in my view - Legion. Everyone's reaping the rewards to varying degrees. All's well for everyone.

No.

You re either with us, or against us.

:angry::ohmyzod:

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

All this petty debating is goofy. Until otherwise proven, Avengers(Disney/Marvel Studios), Dark Knight (WB/DC) and Spider-man (Sony/Marvel) are the unquestioned champions of CBM box office admissions followed by Spider-man 2(Sony/Marvel) and Superman (WB/DC). At the moment, pretty much everything that's released by the rival companies is performing very, very well. Not to mention, Fox has found some impressive footing with Deadpool, Logan and - the best superhero adaptation for TV ever in my view - Legion. Everyone's reaping the rewards to varying degrees. All's well for everyone.

What a lot of people forget is if one does well that benefits the other

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BP is a totally 100M+ opener. The anticipation is real. BP was one of the best things about CW. believe it!

I hope you're right, and I hope it's a good flick. But so far Deadpool is the only $100-mil OW film ever released in February, and that character had a MUCH bigger following than BP has, even throwing in BP's CW appearance. I'd say it's guaranteed to match Doc Strange's 85-mil OW, but 100-mil is about 50/50, IMHO.

13 minutes ago, YourMother said:

WW was the first female superhero movie in years. We had a very prominent $100M+ OW club for it.

You had a <$235M DOM club for WW. I predicted $220M. :sparta:

It was the "first female superhero movie in years" because studios thought it was a bad idea to produce one. But then WW succeeds massively and suddenly everyone says that Wonder Woman was always supposed to do well, wasn't risky, was a sure bet for $100M OW.

Hindsight is clearly 20/20.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Debatable about Legion being the best superhero adaptation for TV - maybe live-action, but as a whole, can't go wrong with Batman: The Animated Series - but agreed with pretty much everything else.

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

No.

You re either with us, or against us.

:angry::ohmyzod:

Please tell me that's sarcastic.

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

You had a <$235M DOM club for WW. I predicted $220M. :sparta:

It was the "first female superhero movie in years" because studios thought it was a bad idea to produce one. But then WW succeeds massively and suddenly everyone says that Wonder Woman was always supposed to do well, wasn't risky, was a sure bet for $100M OW.

Hindsight is clearly 20/20.

I underestimated due to lack of marketing. Then WB blasted all cylinders after GV2 came with marketing. My club was originally under $300M but people said "No, it has to be bolder!"

• Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Debatable about Legion being the best superhero adaptation for TV - maybe live-action, but as a whole, can't go wrong with Batman: The Animated Series - but agreed with pretty much everything else.

Please tell me that's sarcastic.

Spectacular Spider-Man is also excellent.