CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

3 hours ago, Telehilation said:

Yes, for sure, and perhaps the nuance of the pressure of a situation and whether to acquiesce to someone with a ton of power is a different conversation. I think QT is being disingenuous with his defense of those choices, though -- he repeatedly goes to the "what, am I gonna have a grip do it?" as if somehow that's the only other option, and that somehow his artistic expression is horribly compromised if the saliva texture of fake spit doesn't work. The "I needed it to look like a real strangling, with capillaries bulging" and stuff is also really squicky.

So let's play a game.  A genuine game with genuine feelings, but a game nonetheless.  I'll see things from your side, genuinely, and you come to my side, genuinely.  

I agree there are other ways to get shots and make them look as real as possible without actually using body fluids to get the shot.  I also agree that you can fake choke someone without actually choking them.  

However, can you agree that all of this was done safely and with the actors compliance and permission and that some directors are perfectionists and want everything to look as genuine as possible?

3 hours ago, Mulder said:

While I'm not going to defend Polanski or people who stuck up for him ((He really, really needs to start being held accountable and get shipped back to America to stand trial)), he does have built in sympathy points because he survived the Holocaust and then lost his wife and unborn child to a group of crazy assholes. I'm fairly sure that's how he was able to weather his controversies and get the Oscar win in comparison to say Woody Allen who's gotten way more heat and far less defense. But that's just my two cents.

No one can condone Polanski having sex with a 13 year old.  

However, The Pianist was imo, the best film of 2002 and it should have won best picture and best director.  

My ex let me full on strangle her and choke her, she liked it and told me I could do it. I guess I must have committed a crime because strangling is bad no matter whether people agree to it or not right?

Not sure where I am going with this analogy tbh but hopefully it makes sense.

Two sides to every story etc.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2

Just now, baumer said:

So let's play a game.  A genuine game with genuine feelings, but a game nonetheless.  I'll see things from your side, genuinely, and you come to my side, genuinely.  

I agree there are other ways to get shots and make them look as real as possible without actually using body fluids to get the shot.  I also agree that you can fake choke someone without actually choking them.  

However, can you agree that all of this was done safely and with the actors compliance and permission and that some directors are perfectionists and want everything to look as genuine as possible?

"Compliance" is an interesting word, and again, there's all sorts of connotations there. (I'm not saying it's a bad word to use, in this context). When I was younger, I might've sided more with the perfectionist angle. I dunno, now I just feel it's a movie. Sure, you want it to be as nifty and cool as it can be. But at the end of the day, these are people on the other side of the camera (or behind the camera) and I now have qualms about justifying many actions just on the coolness of the shot. I know QT's not the only director with this attitude and approach (though I think it peaked several decades ago), but he's the one front and center today, right now.

Also worth pointing out that other perfectionists like Fincher or Cameron -- while they might have other issues in terms of taxing actors or crew -- never run into this trouble.

• Like 2

I think what someone would say about Polanski today is far more important than what they said about him 5-10-15 years earlier. For one thing wasn't the stance about him for a long time that he was unjustifiably exiled because he'd already served his late 1970s sentence back then before having to flee? People can reconsider as time passes, and certainly something as huge as the Weinstein/post-Weinstein scandal can cause a major shift in perceptions and the consensus. People seem to love nothing more than to catch other people in "hypocrisy" and thus completely discredit them, but it seems far more likely to me that most of the time those people just have an earnest mess in their heads which then gets either cleared up or not. Maybe that's naivete on my part. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

No one can condone Polanski having sex with a 13 year old.  

However, The Pianist was imo, the best film of 2002 and it should have won best picture and best director.  

Yeah I think he deserves both his Oscar and jailtime. 

• Like 5

Imagine it, your hands around that beautiful blonde european womens neck.. the feeling of dominance as her face goes red and blue. You can't let someone else get to do it! You're the director, its your show. Do the strangling yourself! :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, Telehilation said:

"Compliance" is an interesting word, and again, there's all sorts of connotations there. (I'm not saying it's a bad word to use, in this context). When I was younger, I might've sided more with the perfectionist angle. I dunno, now I just feel it's a movie. Sure, you want it to be as nifty and cool as it can be. But at the end of the day, these are people on the other side of the camera (or behind the camera) and I now have qualms about justifying many actions just on the coolness of the shot. I know QT's not the only director with this attitude and approach (though I think it peaked several decades ago), but he's the one front and center today, right now.

Also worth pointing out that other perfectionists like Fincher or Cameron -- while they might have other issues in terms of taxing actors or crew -- never run into this trouble.

Well, you didn't play the game.  

th?id=OIP.QZ2VE4shJYnhlVb3_zm-KgHaGi&w=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Imagine it, your hands around that beautiful blonde european womens neck.. the feeling of dominance as her face goes red and blue. You can't let someone else get to do it! You're the director, its your show. Do the strangling yourself! :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

I know this is a humourous post, but for the record that is not how it went down at all.

The Diane Kruger thing is such a fucking non-story, the woman said she was fine with it, had a great experience shooting the movie yadda yadda, move on. His comments on Roman Polanski though are stupid and disgusting, and as others have pointed out practically all of Hollywood used to rush to his defense which fucking baffles me. I mean I like Rosemary's Baby as much as the next guy but what the fuck.

Times have changed though, I'm sure most of his defenders have changed their tune whether they actually mean it or not, and if Tarantino is genuinely sorry about his comments he should say so.

• Like 1

I could make fun of people who constantly whine about practical effects ( da best !) versus CGI (da worst !) but I won't, they will hopefully realize someday how irresponsible & childish and clueless they are by themselves.

Edited by The Futurist