CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

what's the hook? what's there to interest the GA about this as a story? i'm not saying nothing is, just that they haven't showed it yet. stuff like revenant, gatsby, basterds, django had very clear hooks. survival/revenge, fresh adaptation of iconic novel, killing natzees, killing slave owners. this has... struggling TV actors, some stuff about Hollywood 50 years ago that mostly appeals to cinephiles, and the Manson murders? i'm skeptical. that I'm predicting well over 100 even with those reservations is already a big testament to the drawing power of the names involved. (and I trust that quality/WOM will be good.)

from what i understand it's not playing Cannes simply cause it's not finished.

we'll see the hook in the full trailer. it's apparently yet another revenge story, which i'm not pleased about.  but let's see the trailer first

ouatih_327838348994833434.jpg

DiCaprio’s Rick Dalton is “not the movie star that he had hoped to be, so he’s struggling — he’s a working actor, but he’s not a movie star.” On the flip side, Pitt’s Cliff is “at ease, and comfortable with who he is” as Dalton’s stuntman.

These are two people who have a history together and the loyalty that they have for one another is really potent,” Heyman says. “It’s really a film about that friendship and about the power of that friendship as they go on their journeys together and separately.”

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/25/quentin-tarantino-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-preview/

Just now, The Futurist said:

Tarantino now makes old movies for old people with old references.

A man out of time so to speak.

Didn't he always had a relent of vintage old reference in is stuff:

Pop culture reference in Pulp ( inexpensive fiction magazines or paperbacks, published from 1896 to 1950s) Fiction:

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Pulp_Fiction_Movie_References_Guide

or

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Jackie_Brown_movie_and_TV_references_guide

or

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Kill_Bill_References_Guide/American_and_Spaghetti_Westerns

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Kill_Bill_References_Guide/Japanese_Cinema

Is inspiration are often on the older side.

Most people are old now (in the western world), that is our time.

The QTCU is one of the best franchises ever.

Consistent, reliable, repetitive, but a lot of fun !

Thats what I like the most about QT movies, when you buy a QT ticket, you now there won't be any surprise of originality whatsoever.

There s a reason why he is so beloved.

Edited by The Futurist

Just now, The Futurist said:

The QTCU is one of the best franchises ever.

Consistent, repetitive, but a lot of fun !

it's fun indeed. Django is awesome, but i will be very disappointed if he repeats the revenge theme.   waiting for the full trailer to show us more of the story

9 hours ago, zeb1814 said:

People are already talking Oscar buzz for Leo, Brad, and Margot. Margot seems to be the front runner right now. 

Can we knock those people on the head hard enough to render them unconscious until about January?

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

TBH, I love QT Revenge Verse. Django and IB were amazing. 

Also, Margot's career has really found its stride. After meandering with tarzan, she's knocking it out of the park with choices, plus is emerging as a producer. :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar

54 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Can we knock those people on the head hard enough to render them unconscious until about January?

LOL. The Academy has been loving awarding blonde white ingenues, though. LBR

52 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

TBH, I love QT Revenge Verse. Django and IB were amazing. 

Also, Margot's career has really found its stride. After meandering with tarzan, she's knocking it out of the park with choices, plus is emerging as a producer. :bravo:

It really has. She has dodged some major bullets (ghost in the shell, fan4stic) and was (rightly or wrongly) the breakout star of SS. Even though she didn't win the oscar herself, Allison Janney's win is still huge for her production company. The stars really seemed to have aligned for her. At least right now, but I think she's smart enough to keep things going/make it happen for herself. 

• Like 1

After Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, and Emma Stone have all become Oscar winners in the past several years, it feels safe to assume that Margot Robbie is next in line to win an Oscar at the rate she's going. She even came close to getting nominated again this past year for a movie that hardly anyone saw or cared about. Even if she doesn't pick up anything for this, it's only a matter of time.

• Like 3

Still remember seeing Margot Robbie for the first time in that short lived Pan Am show. She was distractingly gorgeous back then too, but I would never guess she would be a movie star one day.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

After Jennifer Lawrence, Brie Larson, and Emma Stone have all become Oscar winners in the past several years, it feels safe to assume that Margot Robbie is next in line to win an Oscar at the rate she's going. She even came close to getting nominated again this past year for a movie that hardly anyone saw or cared about. Even if she doesn't pick up anything for this, it's only a matter of time.

Not to mention Alicia Vikander!!! 

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's easy to forget she won. Anytime I remember she's an Oscar winner I just assume it must've been for Ex Machina.

TBH I don't blame you. She's really forgettable IMO. She hasn't really done anything with the win. I don't know if she doesn't have her hustle on or what.  

One thing I would be worried about if I was Margot (or any young actress working) is peaking too early. It's what is happening to JLaw rn. I don't know if that will be true for Margot or not, but given how ambitious she is, I think she will be smart enough to avoid that.