CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

23 minutes ago, Alli said:

the style is not the problem. Telling the revenge story set in an alternate universe again and again is tho.

is it a revenge story? Didn't get it from the teaser tbh but maybe?

think about it. it would have been worse. it could have been Chalamet. :lol:

• Haha 1

Man I really want to be excited for this (love the Manson stuff, QT, and the cast), but I don't really like the trailer - looks very stale. I don't need another zany ensemble comedy about Hollywood or another late 60s/early 70s LA period piece that acts as a low grade Chinatown ripoff. I'm just not into this style, feels too familiar. This looks alot like The Nice Guys, which I....liked less than most people.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man I really want to be excited for this (love the Manson stuff, QT, and the cast), but I don't really like the trailer - looks very stale. I don't need another zany ensemble comedy about Hollywood or another late 60s/early 70s LA period piece that acts as a low grade Chinatown ripoff. I'm just not into this style, feels too familiar. This looks alot like The Nice Guys, which I....liked less than most people.

I felt the same about Nice Guys. Still QT movies regularly have more going on than they let appear at first glance, hopefully this is one of those cases. I doubt he would have worked on the script for five years if it was something he could write in his sleep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2kt09 said:

I've only seen 3 - Django, Hateful 8, Inglorious

Pitt's giving the same performance...that's 'bout it

If I didn't know any better, this could just as easily been a Shane Black sort of thing

You need to watch "Pulp Fiction " which is his best film and some of his earlier films. I think his last 3 ,although fun, have been a long way from his best work.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

You need to watch "Pulp Fiction " which is his best film and some of his earlier films. I think his last 3 ,although fun, have been a long way from his best work.

Pulp Fiction is easily his best film and I'd rate Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and the Kill Bills over his latest three films as well.

• Like 2

Damon Herriman's appearance in the trailer was the highlight for me. Quentin's casting of beloved Justified actors remains without fail. The Elmore Leonard appreciation continues. Furthermore, I didn't think Damon would make a convincing Manson, but I stand corrected by the few seconds of footage here.

PS: We all know Jeremy Davies also starred in Justified, and has remained the most convincing portrayal of Manson. However, I'm willing to give Damon the benefit of the doubt here.

Edited by ThePhasmid

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

And this is a revenge story set in an alternate universe... in what way, exactly?

Agreed, don't get Alternate Universe at all in this trailer.

It shows Manson being led away in handcuffs, so I don't think QT is going  Inglorius Bastards on this.

I would not be surprised if the Manson Murders are in the background, but don't play a huge role in the film.

The  two main charecters are fictional;this was never going to be a retelling of the Manson Murders, we have had a couple of versions of "Helter Skelter" for that.

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I felt the same about Nice Guys. Still QT movies regularly have more going on than they let appear at first glance, hopefully this is one of those cases. I doubt he would have worked on the script for five years if it was something he could write in his sleep.

Nice Guys is like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on Quaaludes.  It lacks the energy needed for a Black script.  I don't think the main casting helped.   The girl and Matt Bomer were the standouts.

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Pulp Fiction is easily his best film and I'd rate Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and the Kill Bills over his latest three films as well.

Agreed. I might argue his last three have been his weakest;"Hateful 8" in particular. The other two were fun,but "8" was often just plain boring, the worst thing a film can be.

Edited by dudalb

Just now, dudalb said:

Agreed, don't get Alternate Universe at all in this trailer.

It shows Manson being led away in handcuffs, so I don't think QT is going  Inglorius Bastards on this.

I would not be surprised if the Manson Murders are in the background, but don't play a huge role in the film.

The  two main charecters are fictional;this was never going to be a retelling of the Manson Murders, we have had a couple of versions of "Helter Skelter" for that.

The only thing that might indicate that this an alternate universe is that if it supposedly takes place around the murders, why isn't Sharon Tate heavily pregnant?

But this movie could easily span a year and we're only seeing early moments.