CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

32 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Not sure if serious.

Yes. I saw a comment on another site that said he’d never been in a film that didn’t make the money back. I asked here because I knew someone would know the answer. 

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Aside from some post-Titanic nonstarters such as The Beach, he's had a few more recent ones. J. Edgar flopped but made more with him than it would've with any other actor considering what busted Oscar bait it was. Revolutionary Road also was probably expected to make more considering it reunited him and Winslet but made sense since it was a dour adult drama that didn't become the major Oscar player it was expected to be. Body of Lies bombed but it received mediocre reviews and war-centric movies were box office kryptonite at the time.

Body of Lies is the only one that was surprising to me. Expected a lot more from that. We all knew nobody gave a shit about J Edgar and Revolution Road was like an artsy indie movie. 

Other than Body of Lies, Leo hasn't a film underperform in decades, though thats relative to realistic expectations. 

In this decade, 2010 onward, his only hickup was J Edgar in 2011. The rest of them - Shutter Island, Inception, Django Unchained, Great Gatsby, The Wolf of Wall Street and The Revenant were big hits. It's a mightily impressive run considering none of these movies is a franchise and some aren't even the usual action/sci fi/fantasy spectacles that attract audience no matter who stars. 

Edited by Valonqar

34 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Yes. I saw a comment on another site that said he’d never been in a film that didn’t make the money back. I asked here because I knew someone would know the answer. 

The Quick and the Dead was a bomb. Gangs of New York, The Aviator, Blood Diamond, Body of Lies all made less than 2x of their budget worldwide, the last two in particular likely ended up in the red.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Body of Lies is the only one that was surprising to me. Expected a lot more from that. We all knew nobody gave a shit about J Edgar and Revolution Road was like an artsy indie movie. 

Other than Body of Lies, Leo hasn't a film underperform in decades, though thats relative to realistic expectations. 

Before anyone saw it, people really thought J. Edgar would be Leo's chance to finally get the Oscar. Well-regarded actors can win for roles that aren't among their best, the narrative that it's "their time" just needs to stick. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The Best Actor lineup was pretty weak for 2011, so it seemed like a prime opportunity for Leo coronation...until the critics weighed in and the box office sucked, but even still, I think he ended up getting Golden Globe and SAG nominations that year? So he was probably not very far off from the Top 5 in Oscar voting, even with J. Edgar being a poorly reviewed flop.

Tarantino and Margot/Leo/Brad interviewed on the (US) Today Show:

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Body of lies was a big bomb

blood diamond another big one

gangs of new york as well

Neither of those were bombs unless you crazy expectations 

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It seems like Sony failed to market this one. It should have been an easy 40M OW and instead it feels like it will do mid 20s OW.

We'll see. I feel like I have seen plenty of ads on ESPN. More interesting is that I feel many do not know what this is even about. 

So we went from "this is making 70m OW easy" to "is this gonna make 100m?" in a couple of months. 

I also thought initially this would be a slightly bigger Django because of the cast but in the end it doesn't have the catchy hook/premise or even if it does the marketing can't really focus on it because it's spoiler stuff from the second half of the movie. At this point I hope it 'll end up somewhere between IB and Django at the boxoffice.

4 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I think this will surprise and hit $40 million opening weekend. It’s aimed at older people, so there will be less online buzz. The trailer has gotten great reactions every time I see it. 

i think this had plenty of online buzz when they released the trailer. the first trailer has 350k likes on youtube. It's huge for a movie aimed at adults.  the Top Gun 2 trailer has the same number of views, but only 240k likes

Edited by Alli

1 hour ago, ACSlater said:

I loved blood diamond. Even to the Leo's cheesy accent which my afrikaaner grandmother laughed at. We still enjoyed it though. 

Blood Diamond is entertaining for about 2 1/3 of the movie. It's the third act that becomes too preachy and serous for its own good and the movie starts to drag. Leo's accent adds to fun. 

Surely this has to open really well this weekend. 

I mean, if you’re an adult and love movies, wtf are you doing if you can’t get yourself out of the house for a raved new QT movie? With that cast?

almost feel like this is the last straw for me defending moviegoers if this doesn’t sail past $100 million domestic. 

If you’re over 25 and thinking “nah, I’ll wait for that Fast and Furious movie” then I don’t know what to say. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4