CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

55 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Obvious reference to Sergio Leone movies, but it's been done before by other filmmakers.

11 minutes ago, maxalcamo said:

the title once upon a time has sense cause the movie is like very.... dreamy. But i can't say more for spoilers. 

I get that.  He wears his inspirations on his sleeve and I know he chose this title for a particular reason.

I traveled two hours to see Hateful 8 in 70mm, I'm seeing this at 4:00 on Thursday and I can't fucking wait.

That being said, it's still rather bland.  For regular Joe's needing to pick out a movie to see, I don't think the title is doing it any favors.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I mean they are overrated in the sense that whenever an actor is making studio movies, he or she is instantly slapped with "should do some indies" as if that's a proof of quality. 

From blockbusters to indie movies there is like a big sea of movie choices you can make. 

In my opinion it's more easier became a recognizble name making a  Pretty woman or a Drive than being on Thor 5 or whatever. 

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Like 1

Just now, maxalcamo said:

From blockbusters to indie movies there is like a big sea of movie choices you can make.

In my opinion it's more easier became a recognizble name making a  Pretty woman or a Drive than being on Thor 5 or whatever. 

yes and Leo movies are hardly classic blockbuster material save Inception and Titanic. So "do an indie" attitude does not apply to him where there are literally dozens of actors doing capekino only. 

Are we really in a time where DiCaprio, Pitt and Tarantino isn’t enough for people to be persuaded to buy a ticket? Yet they’ll happily buy one for a Fast and Furious spin-off? 

Grown adults who saw Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained in theaters. 

If you’re a fan of film over 40 and choose a Hobbs and Shaw ticket over this then we’ve got a serious problem.  Are there people over 40 seriously sat at home thinking “I think I’ll wait for Hobbs”?

I’m trusting they will come out and make this a hit. Otherwise, well I just don’t know what to say. 

• Like 5
  • Knock It Off 2

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Are we really in a time where DiCaprio, Pitt and Tarantino isn’t enough for people to be persuaded to buy a ticket? Yet they’ll happily buy one for a Fast and Furious spin-off? 

Grown adults who saw Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained in theaters. 

If you’re a fan of film over 40 and choose a Hobbs and Shaw ticket over this then we’ve got a serious problem.  Are there people over 40 seriously sat at home thinking “I think I’ll wait for Hobbs”?

I’m trusting they will come out and make this a hit. Otherwise, well I just don’t know what to say. 

Exactly! Title and "I don't know what's the story about" excuses are very dumb when you have director and cast like this. People should support this movie and stop complaining about Hollywood making mostly franchise movies and remakes.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I mean they are overrated in the sense that whenever an actor is making studio movies, he or she is instantly slapped with "should do some indies" as if that's a proof of quality. 

Says the guy whose default reaction to an actor getting praise for a non-franchise/indie movie is "ooooh hopefully Marvel blesses them with attention"

I think people are too much pessimist

These are tarantino opening with inflation

Kill Bill 1 33M

Kill bill 2 36.5 M

Inglorious Bastards 46M

Django 33.7 (and it didn't open on a friday but weekdays cause it was christmas)

The hateful eight opened with limited and then 15M with the wide release.

Why some people think this gonna open in the mid 20s? Come on, maybe i'm too optimistic with 50M but i can't really see this with less than 38-40M. 

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

People have the things they're interested in and the things they aren't. It's about material more than names. Basterds and Django looked more attractive to lots of people for obvious reasons. I'm a massive Tarantino fan and I hope this makes every penny it can but it's also clearly a movie about Tarantino exploring some extremely specific historical territory that fascinates him on studio dime, this is perfectly good and what all filmmakers with ideas and interests should be able to do (as well as have the resulting work widely released and promoted) but even in the healthiest cultural/artistic climate it'd be unrealistic to expect tons of people to share this specific fascination. Don't be an Adam McKay with that Fast and Furious talk. (And I'm sure that people who really are "fans of film" over 40 would overwhelmingly prefer to see this. But there's only so many of them.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

People have the things they're interested in and the things they aren't. It's about material more than names. Basterds and Django looked more attractive to lots of people for obvious reasons. I'm a massive Tarantino fan and I hope this makes every penny it can but it's also clearly a movie about Tarantino exploring some extremely specific historical territory that fascinates him on studio dime, this is perfectly good and what all filmmakers with ideas and interests should be able to do (as well as have the resulting work widely released and promoted) but even in the healthiest cultural/artistic climate it'd be unrealistic to expect tons of people to share this specific fascination. Don't be an Adam McKay with that Fast and Furious talk. (And I'm sure that people who really are "fans of film" over 40 would overwhelmingly prefer to see this. But there's only so many of them.)

I like the Furious movies. 

People buy a ticket to those because they get stunts and Vin Diesel or the Rock. They don’t care what the story is. 

So why isn’t Tarantino, DiCaprio and Pitt enough for those over 40’s to buy a ticket? That’s my point I guess. 

I’m more aiming my point at a particular demograph of which there is more than enough moviegoers to make this a big hit. The names alone and the movies they love that they’ve all been in/made should be enough to bring a good portion of them out in the coming weeks.  

They’re the ones that complain there’s nothing for them in a summer of constant franchise movies. They need to come out and support this one or they have no grounds to complain at what’s being released. 

I’m keeping the faith it’ll do well though. But there’s no excuses or reasons if it doesn’t that are at the expense of its very creators. The blame will be at the audience’s feet in my opinion. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, maxalcamo said:

I think people are too much pessimist

These are tarantino opening with inflation

Kill Bill 1 33M

Kill bill 2 36.5 M

Inglorious Bastards 46M

Django 33.7 (and it didn't open on a friday but weekdays cause it was christmas)

The hateful eight opened with limited and then 15M with the wide release.

Why some people think this gonna open in the mid 20s? Come on, maybe i'm too optimistic with 50M but i can't really see this with less than 38-40M. 

Fingers crossed you’re right. 

5 hours ago, wildphantom said:

You really took it like that? Ok. Lol. 

I didn’t berate anyone. I’m offering an opinion on my hopes for this movie in its own thread.  I will despair if this doesn’t take off.  

I’m forever defending audiences from what they’re choosing to see, but if they don’t show up for this then moviegoing really has gone to shit. 

37 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Yet, there you are berating people for what they want to see. People not wanting to see a Quentin Tarantino movie about Hollywood really is not the high crime that you make it out to be. You have the opportunity to see it in theaters, so that is all that oughta matter to you. What other people want to see with THEIR money and time is their proclivity, and all of the whining about people not being as excited about a Quentin Tarantino movie as others is annoying.      

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Yet, there you are berating people for what they want to see. People not wanting to see a Quentin Tarantino movie about Hollywood really is not the high crime that you make it out to be. You have the opportunity to see it in theaters, so that is all that oughta matter to you. What other people want to see with THEIR money and time is their proclivity, and all of the whining about people not being as excited about a Quentin Tarantino movie as others is annoying.      

He's berating people for complaining about Hollywood not making original movies and at the same time not supporting those when Hollywood makes them. That's absolutely reasonable complain. If people had supported piece of shit movies and hadn't complained about Hollywood not making original movies, then that would have been completely different story. The blame is always on audience because demand creates supply, just like in any other industry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

He's berating people for complaining about Hollywood not making original movies and at the same time not supporting those when Hollywood makes them. That's absolutely reasonable complain. If people had supported piece of shit movies and hadn't complained about Hollywood not making original movies, then that would have been completely different story. The blame is always on audience because demand creates supply, just like in any other industry.

Common sense oughta tell you that the same people who are complaining are not the ones who are supporting those projects, and just because someone wants more original movies that does not mean that every original movie is going to generate any intrigue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Nothing surprises me anymore...in America, or the world. 

(And yes, that's a thinly-veiled comment on you-know-who)

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

I get that.  He wears his inspirations on his sleeve and I know he chose this title for a particular reason.

I traveled two hours to see Hateful 8 in 70mm, I'm seeing this at 4:00 on Thursday and I can't fucking wait.

That being said, it's still rather bland.  For regular Joe's needing to pick out a movie to see, I don't think the title is doing it any favors.

I get what you are saying. DiCaprio and Pitt with Margot Robbie (as Sharon Tate!) in a Tarantino joint is enough to put a certain number of butts in seats, but the same players doing a movie with a high-concept premise might generate an even better opening weekend. But this is the kind of movie that should have legs, so I don't think the studio is really concerned. They greenlit the budget and gave it a summer release knowing the subject matter, so they must have confidence it is audience friendly.

I love Tarantino because he's so humble

“Everyone wanted to play Cliff,” says Tarantino, laughing again. “Everyone wanted to play Cliff. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Leo as an actor [because], he wanted to play Cliff, but he knew he was better for Rick.”

https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/23/quentin-tarantino-brad-pitt-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/

• Like 1