franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You realize there’s actual dozens of fully written reviews out and they’re mostly just as great as the early reactions right? You’re probably 10 days late to this tiresome discourse.

Yes, but overallit is getting a good not great response.

I am back to feeling weird for never watching Fury Road (have not felt this way since 2015).

I am not optimistic this is a financial success.  Hopefully I am wrong.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but overallit is getting a good not great response.

How on earth 8.5 average on RT and 82 on MC is not great response? This is amazing for literally any movie.

Expecting rare +90 scores to think something is getting great reception is a really insane standard.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Human said:

I am back to feeling weird for never watching Fury Road (have not felt this way since 2015).

I am not optimistic this is a financial success.  Hopefully I am wrong.

I'd be happy if this just doubles its budget (which is apparently $168m)

• Like 1

I think, in this modern film landscape, letting reviews come out from Cannes is a mistake unless the film comes out a week later. Studios think they'll move the needle on presales, but we're finding out more and more that's not the case.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I think, in this modern film landscape, letting reviews come out from Cannes is a mistake unless the film comes out a week later. Studios think they'll move the needle on presales, but we're finding out more and more that's not the case.

This film literally comes out next week

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

These reviews seem fine so far to me, especially compared to the early reviews for Indy 5 last year. 

Yeah, reviews are really strong so far. Not as great as Fury Road, but don’t need to be. 

Still early, though, and a lot of reviews will crop up in the coming days. Scores will likely fluctuate a bit, but the fear of bad or really mixed reviews should be gone. 

Edited by Squire

Back to 84 on MC. There’s 2 very good reviews still waiting to be added tho.

It’ll probably jump to 85 metascore with 28 reviews. 

There’s more screenings happening on US right now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I still think Dune 2 did it best. Weren't those just a couple days before release? I could be mistaken.

Dude it comes out in 8 days. They premiered at a film festival. What are you talking about here? I don't think they are blowing their load early here like you seem to be hinting at. This is not the Fall Guy which may have made that mistake.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Tickets are on sale and it's already deep into an aggressive promotional campaign. I don't think the hype is dying down any in the next week. The only movies that could potentially overshadow it in media coverage until then aren't aimed at the same audience

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I still think Dune 2 did it best. Weren't those just a couple days before release? I could be mistaken.

Dune 2 lifted review embargo a week before release and social media embargo a week before that...

Perhaps you should get your "did it best" examples in check, especially since I distinctly remember you being pretty negative about Dune2 during its presales window...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Dune 2 lifted review embargo a week before release and social media embargo a week before that...

Perhaps you should get your "did it best" examples in check, especially since I distinctly remember you being pretty negative about Dune2 during its presales window...

Right, because reviews weren't moving the needle and presales weren't amazing. Word of mouth ended up being way more important, and that was because people told their friends the film was good. I was wrong about the film having John Wick numbers domestically, when it actually had The Little Mermaid numbers domestically.

I genuinely think studios are putting too much stock in critic reviews at a time when its so much harder to parse which critics are trustworthy and which are fanboys who wouldn't last a day at an actual publication.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

37 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Right, because reviews weren't moving the needle and presales weren't amazing. Word of mouth ended up being way more important, and that was because people told their friends the film was good. I was wrong about the film having John Wick numbers domestically, when it actually had The Little Mermaid numbers domestically.

I genuinely think studios are putting too much stock in critic reviews at a time when its so much harder to parse which critics are trustworthy and which are fanboys who wouldn't last a day at an actual publication.

Presales for Dune was always strong, the movie did the higher end of what trackers suggest on day 1 of presales, there´s no surprise at all.

Studios don´t put too much stock in critic reviews, there´s many reasons to why box office are struggling and i´m sure ´´unreliable critics praising movies´´ isn´t one of them.

Most people doesn´t even care about the actual people that write reviews, they see the faceless tomato score and move on. If someone really want trustworthy critics in serious publications just go on metacritic and find them, there´s not dumb fanboys there.

This whole discourse that somehow put the struggles of the studios to sell tickets on the shoulders of largely underpaid critics is insane.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I distinctly remember a whole lot of "empty screen" posting and claims that it wouldn't come close to Oppenheimer...

I'm not sure what the problem even is...regardless of how much stock you put into reviews, bringing the film to the festival is not expensive and if you're confident reviews will be good, they certainly can't hurt...and reviews are good...so the issue is...?

Edited by JustLurking

Good criticism won't change that much for this movie. Under 25 people don't know It and don't care, and seems to me Warner this time didn't make something to change this situation, and for the older audience of top gun It's too much situationist over the top action. 

4 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

You know what you are? A concern troll. You did this with Civil War and Twisters too, just looking for any kind of weird angle to take to justify your cynicism.