CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

final Dunkirk prediction:  200 - 250 total.  or 4 to 5 multiplier.

Remember Interstellar's opening week.  People were projecting 50% drop min and saying WOM was too polarizing.  Almost hit 4x multiplier.  Inception almost hit 5x. 

1 minute ago, Rth Homecoming said:

DK 17.8, GT 11, SMH 8.8, Apes 8.3, Val 6

Thanks. Looks to be decent increases for the hold overs and decent Saturdays for the openers. Should lock 50/30/16 for the trio. 

Spidey and Apes should go over 20m. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Matrix4You said:

Remember Interstellar's opening week.  People were projecting 50% drop min and saying WOM was too polarizing.  Almost hit 4x multiplier.  Inception almost hit 5x. 

My issue with the interstellar comparison is the time of year. It did get helped by the holidays. Particularly with 2014 being so weak in comparison to 2013 and 2015. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

DK 17.8, GT 11, SMH 8.8, Apes 8.3, Val 6

So about a 52M weekend for Dunkirk, 30-31M for Girls Trip, 21.5M for SMH, 20-21M for Apes and 16.5M for Valerian. 

Great starts for Dunkirk and GT, very bad for Valerian. SMH will fall about 52-54% depending on Sunday and Apes will cross the 20M barrier. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Thanks. Looks to be decent increases for the hold overs and decent Saturdays for the openers. Should lock 50/30/16 for the trio. 

Spidey and Apes should go over 20m. 

Yeah I think APES will barely make it over $20M, Spidey I think will hit close to $22M.

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Films about WW2 generally have pretty good legs (crunched some numbers from this page and the average multi for the ones that opened above 1M was about 3.7), so I'm not sure it's as limiting as one would think. Of course almost all of those prior WW2 movies opened a lot lower so it's not the greatest comparison. Dunkirk will actually be the third highest opening on that list, and one was a Captain America movie. A 3x multi seems pretty dang reasonable to me though considering all this and the fact that Nolan movies do have a strong tendency to leg it out.

Dunkirk is quite a bit different than most WW2 films though:

Spoiler

Edited by GrimFandango

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

My issue with the interstellar comparison is the time of year. It did get helped by the holidays. Particularly with 2014 being so weak in comparison to 2013 and 2015. 

Thanksgiving was a huge boost for Interstellar. But Summer weekdays and some relatively weak competition might offset that. Nothing like Hunger Games Mockingjay to hurt it in the 3rd week. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

No it doesnt. Whats pathetic about having fun? Is sex pathetic? Is admiring good looking people pathetic? Youre opinion is not shared by me.

So because sex and having fun are not pathetic in and of themselves, there is no instance where a sex comedy could be pathetic? I like your logic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

late legs added under 20m. key reason why it had good legs was 2nd weekend drop of just 40%. That was not due to holidays. it played great with older audience who dont rush to OW. Dunkirk will have similar help plus have the benefit of stronger weekdays. 

Already the post track report gives some perspective. 

Yes, men over 25 make up close to 50% of the main draw here per ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak, but Dunkirk is also playing incredibly well to older females and younger guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrimFandango said:

Dunkirk is quite a bit different than most WW2 films though:

Might wanna delete the tagged bit. No spoilers allowed in the weekend threads, not even in spoiler tags.

Personally disagree though. It's definitely different but I don't think it's as off-putting as some are making it. I say this as someone who loved the film though so I guess we'll see how it goes.

If I had to guess, some people wait to see a Nolan movie in IMAX and because demand is higher for those than normal screenings, it spreads out the grosses a little bit. 

I'm not convinced on Interstellar legs or anything like that, but relative to this Summer, it should have some good legs.

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

The Great Wall > Valerian confirmed.

Victory for the bun @MrPink. Good news for the club @franfar.

With a 16.5M OW and being first in line for theater losses, I don't see Valerian crossing TGW in gross.

Sticking to this release date out of pure ego when literally everyone thought they should have moved was basically this:

YXoQiiJ.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Man, I would love to have a chance to see this in traditional 70mm at the Seattle Cinerama. Seems like an awesome place that really cares about giving customers the best experience. 100 foot wide screen sure doesn't hurt. :lol:

Yeah, it was a pretty great experience there.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, narniadis said:

but it had weaker weekdays and Mockingjay Part 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

With a 16.5M OW and being first in line for theater losses, I don't see Valerian crossing TGW in gross.

Sticking to this release date out of pure ego when literally everyone thought they should have moved was basically this:

YXoQiiJ.png

He went up against THE NOLAN. A poor move by any measure.

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 7