CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I can say with utmost authority that FOX had a bad summer. For the last couple of years, their summer movies have disappointed at the boxoffice. Last summer was really bad and now this summer was bad. 2015 wasn't any good too. 

Captain Underpants and Apes will both profit, while Covenant will probably break even and Snatched will probably have a long life on cable TV networks and profit off the HV market.  Nothing spectacular but far from terrible.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can a hardcore cinephile rank these movies from Netflix, best to worst?

The list is for a middle aged woman who enjoys smart but relatable filmmaking.

The Big Short
Sing Street
Spotlight
Boyhood
Girlhood
Clouds of Sils Maria
Frank
Overnighters
Blue is the Warmest Color   :ph34r: 
Burn After Reading
The Place Beyond the Pines

Sing Street is good, Boyhood is nice, Big Short will actively make you angry.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Spotlight, Spotlight, and also Spotlight

2 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Havent seen Sing Street, Girlhood, Sils Maria, Warmest Color, or Overnighters, so I'll rank the ones I've seen:

1. Boyhood
  2. Jesus himself
  3. Burn After Reading
  4. Big Short
  5. Frank
  6. Place Beyond the Pines
  7. Spotlight

Thanks, guys.

I'll shower you with likes when I get the chance.

Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

How is this a complaint?

Because when I'm done watching the movie I'm frustrated because I didn't get to see that stuff. It's hella good but that always annoys me. It should be like 3 hours longer

3 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Captain Underpants and Apes will both profit, while Covenant will probably break even and Snatched will probably have a long life on cable TV networks and profit off the HV market.  Nothing spectacular but far from terrible.

i love your positivity. Btw how many times you watched Valerian?

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

separated from my own personal preferences Sing Street and Spotlight seems to be the most broadly appealing ones that you can't go wrong with that i don't really know anyone who hates on them. Blue and Pines are my personal preferences but seem to be much more of a coin toss they got a few haters out there.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

overnighters is great too if that's the documentary.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Sing Street is good, Boyhood is nice, Big Short will actively make you angry.

Thanks.

My likes aren't sticking.

I gotta get my gold status back.

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can a hardcore cinephile rank these movies from Netflix, best to worst?

The list is for a middle aged woman who enjoys smart but relatable filmmaking.

The Big Short
Sing Street
Spotlight
Boyhood
Girlhood
Clouds of Sils Maria
Frank
Overnighters
Blue is the Warmest Color
Burn After Reading
The Place Beyond the Pines

Clouds of Sils Maria and Burn After Reading would probably be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of deal for said woman. (Unless you already know if she's into the Coens.) Sing Street and Spotlight are the most safe I guess. After that Boyhood, Pines, The Big Short. 

14 minutes ago, debarr said:

The 2 World Wars are saving Warner Bros' summer.

Everything, Everything will also make a decent profit for them at its 10M budget. King Arthur is the big money loser, but that seems to have been swept under the rug completely now. Annabelle 2 should do well as well. Only 6 releases for WB this summer - Arthur, EE, WW, The House, Dunkirk and Annabelle 2. Spring itself saw 6 releases for them. Looks like they are definitely experimenting with off peak release dates. Sully did really well in September last year and IT should do that as well this year.

• Like 1

Just who the hell are watching the WW??

A CBM movie like SMH didn't take away its audience, kid-friendly DM3 didn't, adult-male driven Apes neither, and now GT which heavily target woman, only to make WW drop 30% when WW suffered its harshest drop in theater count!

She's got legs
a0b393c408f93d50cabfbd28ddf813f5.gif
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The UK OW was huge which probably isn't too surprising considering the subject matter. 

Should have great legs too, which will help its overseas gross.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Everything, Everything will also make a decent profit for them at its 10M budget. King Arthur is the big money loser, but that seems to have been swept under the rug completely now. Annabelle 2 should do well as well. Only 6 releases for WB this summer - Arthur, EE, WW, The House, Dunkirk and Annabelle 2. Spring itself saw 6 releases for them. Looks like they are definitely experimenting with off peak release dates. Sully did really well in September last year and IT should do that as well this year.

I suspect WB already wrote off King Arthur before it was released. The House was a dud but it wasn't too expensive. 

It and Ninjago should be successful in September and October should be good for them as both Blade Runner and Geostorm are just being distributed by them so they don't lose out if neither does huge business. 

blue is the warmest color is one of my favourite examples of how everyone always seems to extend the temporality of movies when watching them at the cinema. every review saying the movie had a giant 20 minute lesbian sex sequence when in reality it's like 7 minutes. this always happens. another good one was a BUNCH of people here saying the dino v. dino fighting at the climax of jurassic world lasted for like 30 minutes when it's under 10.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1