CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

57 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised Dunkirk's net budget is $100m, Nolan's salary was 20% of it so it must be closer to $80m for everything else. Nolan taking home a nice amount when all is said and done but it's going to be profitable for Warner Bros.

Where did you get $100m? $150m is what I saw reported by L.A. Times. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Variety quoted the net budget for Dunkirk as $100m.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

It's worth nothing that the 6.5M is barely from any major markets (still hasn't released in China, France, UK, Australia, Russia, etc.)

Yup, that's what I said. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yup, looking it up, there's just a bunch of smaller releases. Doubt any of them take away much from Dunkirk's audience. 

Valerian won't be a threat, the only film I realistically see knocking off the top spot is either Atomic Blonde or The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Just now, Jonwo said:

Interesting. I was thinking best case scenario would be around $120m, meaning $100m for actual production and $20m for Nolan.

He and his wife both said this one was a lot less than his previous big budget movies, but $100m is a tough number to believe. :lol:

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised Dunkirk's net budget is $100m, Nolan's salary was 20% of it so it must be closer to $80m for everything else. Nolan taking home a nice amount when all is said and done but it's going to be profitable for Warner Bros.

Some tax credit accept above the line cost, in those case you are probably better to look at Nolan salary vs the gross budget. Also that 20m is maybe Nolan directing fee, he also has a producer and writer fee.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Valerian won't be a threat, the only film I realistically see knocking off the top spot is either Atomic Blonde or The Hitman's Bodyguard.

I don't see either knocking it off the top spot, even if they somehow overperform. Safe to say that Dunkirk probably has the #1 spot locked-up in the U.K. for at least three weeks. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

It's a huge -- and kinda embarrassing -- dodge. OST grossed 800m in actual, real dollars. AWE grossed 650m in actual, real dollars. DMC did 640m. Adjusting those downwards as if they somehow were released today is a cheap way to make DMTNT look better.

It's not incorrect, but it wildly inflates the sense of how well DMTNT is doing in comparison to the other franchise entries.

Also ignores 6 years of ticket price inflation in those overseas markets. America isn't the only place where ticket prices keep going up every year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Also ignores 6 years of ticket price inflation in those overseas markets. America isn't the only place where ticket prices keep going up every year. 

Also, OST 70M in China, DMTNT 172M in China.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

21 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

THR as well. Both in the weekend box office report

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

If you believe that Dunkirk's budget is under 100, you can believe Infinity War cost under 200 million. 

I absolutely believe that Dunkirk budget was around $100m total.  

There aren't many complicated FX shots, basically no battles, mostly practical effects and no huge sets.  You have a couple boats tipping over, but that isn't exactly expensive.  No big actor salaries or back end deals other than Nolan.  It was a efficient shoot that came in on time.  

My guess is this is going to make a shitload of money for Warner Bros. and Nolan.  He already had it for the most part, but this movie done as essentially a favor to him by the studio will get him a blank check forever (or at least until he has a couple straight expensive bombs).  

Nolan, much like Spielberg, is a respectful and efficient filmmaker that likes to try and show as much respect to the studio as they show him.  

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I don't see either knocking it off the top spot, even if they somehow overperform. Safe to say that Dunkirk probably has the #1 spot locked-up in the U.K. for at least three weeks. 

3 weeks is very likely, maybe even 4 weeks. The last film to do number 1 for 4 weeks was Fantastic Beasts. No films at the UK box office has managed to do more than 4 weeks since Avatar which managed 8 consecutive weeks and 10 non consecutive weeks. Dunkirk might break that streak

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I absolutely believe that Dunkirk budget was around $100m total.  

There aren't many complicated FX shots, basically no battles, mostly practical effects and no huge sets.  You have a couple boats tipping over, but that isn't exactly expensive.  No big actor salaries or back end deals other than Nolan.  It was a efficient shoot that came in on time.  

My guess is this is going to make a shitload of money for Warner Bros. and Nolan.  He already had it for the most part, but this movie done as essentially a favor to him by the studio will get him a blank check forever (or at least until he has a couple straight expensive bombs).  

Nolan, much like Spielberg, is a respectful and efficient filmmaker that likes to try and show as much respect to the studio as they show him.  

Tomorrow Nolan walks in to WB studios and says "I want to do a shot for shot remake of The Color Purple with white people". WB gives him 150M and puts out the press release by evening :P 

• Haha 3

Fantastic for Dunkirk to maintain enough momentum that it managed to cross 50M OW. I thought it was gonna be more frontloaded than this (especially after that preview to real Friday OD ratio), but I'm glad that it performed solidly. It did more than Interstellar, which is RAAAAAD considering the many things that it had working against it compared to that movie. Good legs absolutely await Dunkirk (though a 50% drop wouldn't be unwarranted next weekend, but it's easy game from that point onward). Also the 3rd biggest OW of all time for a WW2 movie behind Cap 1 and Pearl Harbor (how did that disgusting hate baby make so much mone-don't answer, Titanic's fanbase rushed out big time, didn't it?). HAIL THE NOLAN.

But even more fantastic is that Girls Trip did over 30M OW, blowing away all the shitty comedies we've seen all year long (it's actually the biggest OW for a comedy since Ghostbusters). That is ridiculous to think about. 100M is a very sure bet, if not a given, given the power of the wom at play.

Valerian made exactly the Jupiter Ascending range that I thought was about as much as it had any hope of achieving. Wom should be better than JA's, but we'll see if that translates to better legs. One thing's a wonder: this movie might just a cult classic in the making.

Thank God Spider-Man didn't have another Godawful drop (even if 50% isn't necessarily great, maybe not even good either). 300M seem pretty certain at this point. Now Apes on the other hand... ouch at that drop. Will fall exactly in the 150-170M range that has haunted movies like Apocalypse, Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne and Pirates 5. Which is so sad to see.

But on a happier note, Wonder Woman is Queen of the Summer! Yay! C'mooooooon 400M.......

Also, Baby Driver inches closer and closer to 100M (it might be a stretch, but maybe Sony can help fudge just a little bit). How crazy that this movie made more money in just about a month than Alien: Covenant and Baywatch in their entire runs. Wouldn't be amazing if an original action comedy without any major star in it made that much money in 2017? :ohmygod:

And, gotta be honest: Despicable Me 3 has had some very solid late legs. Probably due to having no competition, but regardless. It'll probably end just a little above DM1 unadjusted, which, given how poorly it was looking after the underperforming OW, it's not hitting that much of a rock bottom as we thought it would hit.

• Like 2