CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

I can totally get why people wouldn't like Dunkirk. There's a number of things that won't work for a large # of people, though perhaps those could be fixed with subsequent viewings (although will anyone come back for a 2nd viewing of a movie they didn't like initially?). That being said, I don't really get the very small number of reviews calling it boring and/or slow. But to each their own I suppose.

Edited by Jayhawk

1 hour ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Many seem to absolutely love it but there's a group that doesn't seem to get it.

Dunkirk is a film that turns a REAL war event into a PG-13 spectable without the intention of focusing on the story, but on the war experience... I can imagine why someone would dislike the film.

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If my theater is indicative of other suburban midsize theaters, indies should be flourishing next month.

I keep seeing the trailer for Ingrid Goes West before movies (meanwhile, I still haven't Logan Lucky before anything). Makes me think it's gonna get a fairly wide release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I keep seeing the trailer for Ingrid Goes West before movies (meanwhile, I still haven't Logan Lucky before anything). Makes me think it's gonna get a fairly wide release.

I think Good Time and Wind River will be the two big indies to expand. Ingrid and Patti Cake$ could be going fairly wide, but the former has a relatively new distributor and the latter seems a lot more limited in appeal.

Edit: Fox was pushing Step with Gifted and Captain Underpants. That might go wide, but again, I think its appeal is limited

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Dunkirk is a film that turns a REAL war event into a PG-13 spectable without the intention of focusing on the story, but on the war experience... I can imagine why someone would dislike the film.

This seems to make you really angry, but I'm not sure how a war movie focusing on the 'war experience' is a bad thing. More traditional war-based narratives filmed by people who weren't there would be no less subjective.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I can totally get why people wouldn't like Dunkirk. There's a number of things that won't work for a large # of people, though perhaps those could be fixed with subsequent viewings (although will anyone come back for a 2nd viewing of a movie they didn't like initially?). That being said, I don't really get the very small number of reviews calling it boring and/or slow. But to each their own I suppose.

Its anything but boring and slow.