CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

13 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Zendaya who????

Are you really comparing her fan base to Harry Styles'??

Some people here are... clueless. You only have to check the Dunkirk tag on Twitter to see that most of tweets concerning Dunkirk are about Harry Styles. His massive fanbase and name recognition will certainly influence the box office, directly AND indirectly. It's undeniable. 

So I do expect this to be a little more frontloaded than usual. But then again, I've seen a lot of tweets from Harry fans on Twitter saying that they'll see the movie multiple times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I'd be weirdly impressed if Valerian makes over 20m.

I would have been but at one time I thought 3x was on the cards. Hopefully it can do that, else 50s dom finish is bad. JA did 47 odd some time back and during marketing Val came of as a more earnest and better product. So 50s finish definitely disappoints me. Not that I expected some big breakout but 23-25 ow / 70 dom+ would have been respectable (putting aside the budget).

• Like 1

Great for Dunkirk. Even if it is more frontloaded on the previews end, I think it is still looking at a strong weekend and likely strong legs through August. Good for Girls Trip - I think it will play out well similar to 'Bad Moms'.

Valerian actually did a whole lot better than I was expecting. I recall the presales data in the tracking thread was that Valerian was performing around Life (which did $800K in previews) and at only 60% of Ghost in the Shell. So I was expecting under/around $1M in previews, and yet it has nearly matched the $1.8M of Ghost in the Shell and is even with the Girls Trip previews. Though obviously pre-sale data isn't everything and it doesn't directly translate to preview grosses only, but this may suggest that Valerian is getting decent walk-up business. 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Ice age 5 did 850k starting at 5pm with previews this same weekend last year. OW was $21.3m. Valerian did the double.

Just sayin' and dreamin' 

Can't really compare an animated kid's movie to Valerian. Even if it is mostly CGI :P

Edited by Jayhawk

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh? Hasn't Nolan already proved this out with Inception and Interstellar?

In a way, sure. Inception had Leo and the visuals. Interstellar was all Nolan, but sci-fi epic strikes me as an easier sell than a WWII drama. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

For someone in the middle of a war event their experience is the most immediate and important thing they have. I'm not over the moon about Dunkirk but if anything it honors people by focusing on that. 

I think you has convinced me. Not watching it still.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

For Dunkirk:

-89% positive (67% were a definite recommend)

-Men under 25 and women under 25 gave the best scores; men under 25 represented 17% of the audience and gave it a 95%, while women under 25 represented 14% of the audience gave it a 94%

-Men over 25 were the largest demographic, making up 47% of the audience with an 88% positive score

-Women over 25 made up 22% of the audience with an 81% positive score

-47% bought tickets because they're interested in the subject of Dunkirk, 18% bought tickets because of reviews, 24% bought tickets cause of Nolan, while 16% said they went because of the cast

So the audience was 64% male. Gonna end up right in line with movies like American Sniper (57% male on wide opening weekend) and Fury (60% male on opening weekend), imagine it would be even higher if it weren't for Styles' involvement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

31% of Dunkirk's audience was under 25. That's pretty damn great compared to stuff like Star Trek and Bourne (Apes too?)

Could it be Styles fan base?

Just now, RichWS said:

In a way, sure. Inception had Leo and the visuals. Interstellar was all Nolan, but sci-fi epic strikes me as an easier sell than a WWII drama. 

Interstellar had Matthew McConaughey fresh from his Oscar win, Dunkirk doesn't have nearly as much star power.

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Hmmm I don't think drama is the right word. But yes, WW2 movie with no American or Chinese character seems like a very tough sale to make. 

36 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I'll take the (bold?) (stupid?) stance that I think DUNKIRK will be really frontloaded in terms of previews/weekend. 

I take it with you...if I was betting, I'd say under $50M with those previews...

• Like 1