Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

Even the monday is bad for Valerian :(:(

By the way, during his biggest interview in France Luc Besson ironized on the failure of Valerian in the USA: " Never one of my films has worked in the USA" he said " Sci-fi movies that work in the United States are necessarily centered on the US and their heroes are necessarily superheroes. This is not the case of my film. "

• Sad 1

Lol, knew the MCU comments were coming. Things aren't always black and white, people. Just because I find it predictable when something like MOONLIGHT wins best picture, doesn't mean I think CIVIL WAR should have.

For the record, I think LA LA LAND should have won.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Lol, knew the MCU comments were coming. Things aren't always black and white, people. Just because I find it predictable when something like MOONLIGHT wins best picture, doesn't mean I think CIVIL WAR should have.

Lol and isnt La La Land a typical movie that gets recognition in Oscars?

And was moonlight's win predictable????

Please give me the comment where you said it would win..

In some cases, the Best Picture Winner is just baffling. Spotlight didnt deserved it in 2016 against Mad Max. Moonlight as a film cant compete with La La Land or Arrival. It won imo because the whole academy awards 2017 show was basically an answer to the Oscarssowhite "controversy". It helped that there were a lot of very good films/performances with black actors in 2016, but Moonlight as a film wasnt good enough to win in my opinion.

There are also countless Oscar winning movies that are simply forgotten today. I mean who watches The Artist? Is Argo really the BEST movie of 2012?

On the contrary, its still the choices of the oscar voters. Its their opinions. I maybe disagree with them (very often) but i can still respect it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

But Moonlight was one of the most "surprising" win ever too no ? Who had predicted it 3 month before Oscar night ? Who was sure or even just had it has favorite over La la land during the actual announcement ?

Best picture became really hard to predict way in advance over the year that now almost every movie has a chance, not just the studio movie with the winner being the movie with the most studio employee voting (and no vote split between 2 movie from the same studio) like in the past.

P.S. it is true that best picture is ridiculous, there is 10 000+ movie released any giving year, no one reasonable would have the pretension to even have an opinion about the best movie of a year, it is always favorite.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

In some cases, the Best Picture Winner is just baffling. Spotlight didnt deserved it in 2016 against Mad Max. Moonlight as a film cant compete with La La Land or Arrival. It won imo because the whole academy awards 2017 show was basically an answer to the Oscarssowhite "controversy". It helped that there were a lot of very good films/performances with black actors in 2016, but Moonlight as a film wasnt good enough to win in my opinion.

There are also countless Oscar winning movies that are simply forgotten today. I mean who watches The Artist? Is Argo really the BEST movie of 2012?

On the contrary, its still the choices of the oscar voters. Its their opinions. I maybe disagree with them (very often) but i can still respect it.

THIS!!

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

La La Land didn't deserve to win.

Oh yes It did.

It's typically the movie that release once... Moonlight on the other hand. It's good, and well directed but the subject is much more basic...

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Lol and isnt La La Land a typical movie that gets recognition in Oscars?

And was moonlight's win predictable????

Please give me the comment where you said it would win..

I didn't comment on it here. I did t even watch the Oscars, like I said.

I've probably overstated how much i care, because I really don't. All I care about is the movies I like. If the Academy wants to award MOONLIGHT Best Picture, power to them.

But Moonlight was one of the most "surprising" win ever too no ? Who had predicted it 3 month before Oscar night ? Who was sure or even just had it has favorite over La la land during the actual announcement ?

The only surprising thing about that was the whole wrong envelope winner thing.

I hope someone got fired for that.

Moonlight had an average score of 9/10 and is one of the most acclaimed winners of the past years.

If this win was undeserving, I cant tell what is deserving.

You may not like something but still accept that it is a quality work.

The one to deciede what is the best in a movies competition should be movies expert not any random dude like me or you.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bastien said:

Oh yes It did.

It's typically the movie that release once... Moonlight on the other hand. It's good, and well directed but the subject is much more basic...

LA LA Land is a candy movie that Hollywood jerks itself to. Moonlight and Arrival are brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

But Moonlight was one of the most "surprising" win ever too no ? Who had predicted it 3 month before Oscar night ? Who was sure or even just had it has favorite over La la land during the actual announcement ?

Best picture became really hard to predict way in advance over the year that now almost every movie has a chance, not just the studio movie with the winner being the movie with the most studio employee voting (and no vote split between 2 movie from the same studio) like in the past.

You're right, but what I meant is that it's how they vote that's predictable, not the actual film that wins. For instance, it was so predictable that such a fine film like LA LA LAND did so well in all aspects but didn't win Best Picture. It's not that I want sweeps every year either, but it was so blatantly obvious that LA LA LAND was the best achievement in film last year.

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

DM3 has ZERO animated competition this summer.

Cars 3 is disappointing big time, and Emoji movie will make $100M DOM at best.

Even CU did $70M. And that opened in early June. Families need something to go too. And before you say explain Pets or Sing, both had better reception with audiences and arguably attracted more adults. Even though Pets had competition, No wanted to see IA5, PD or Kubo either. DM3 is looking to be under DM1 adjusted.