Finnick

MOEDAY NUMBERS (The Last Chapter): DUNKIRK:$6.44M | GT:$3.46M | SMH:$3.36M | APES:$2.9M | DP3:$2.32M | VAL:$1.82M | WW:$0.73M

The Oscars are a joke. I used to love watching them - because as a movie buff obviously that's par for the course - but I just can't take it anymore. They're so predictable. You just know an artsy or indie drama film is going to win. Every time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Voting against sci fi (Gravity) is political. They'll never allow the ROTK repeat. Ever. 

Now I would ask you what you mean by the word political. The people voting for BP are the same that voted to nominate Gravity in best picture and made is director win best director, the same that voted for ROTK.

You think the people that voted to make ROTK win will never allow themselve to vote for a movie like that again ? Or who is the they in that sentence and what control do they have over anonymous ballot all accounted by an external firm ?

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And then dropped 4% on Tuesday. Dunkirk will likely increase 10% or more today. 

But anyway it's a pointless comparison since Private Ryan had a 7 multiplier. 

And was released in a pre-social internet era where films could still have those kinds of legs anyway, on a more consistent bases. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

. They love to award movies about themselves. So that's political too. 

Or they love watching and love movie about stuff they know and touch them like everyone and simply vote for the movie they like the most ?

Could there be a little bit of a GOT effect in play, just slightly reducing grosses on Sunday? (only by less than 5%)

GOT shouldn't have had much of an effect, the episode was only 59 minutes long

That's NOTHING compared to the 3 hour NBA playoff games that WW constantly kept facing in its first two weeks.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Now I would ask you what you mean by the word political. The people voting for BP are the same that voted to nominate Gravity in best picture and made is director win best director, the same that voted for ROTK.

You think the people that voted to make ROTK win will never allow themselve to vote for a movie like that again ? Or who is the they in that sentence and what control do they have over anonymous ballot all accounted by an external firm ?

ROTK won BD and BP as it should be. Splits between BD and BP are ridiculous. They mean that the AMPAS knows that the movie whose director is winning should have won but just didn't want to vote for it for some reason. Ang Lee/Crash, Cuaron/12YS, etc. You can see why. Brokeback was gay and Gravity was sci fi. They picked something else under excuse that "important" should win over "better" just because theme/genre didn't appeal to them. Screw them. 

yes, they vote for what they like the best (movies about Hollywood for exmaple) but than call oscars Favorite Movie not Best Picture.

Edited by Valonqar

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Voting against sci fi (Gravity) is political. They'll never allow the ROTK repeat. Ever. 

Birdman, The Artist and Argo were movies about Hollywood. They love to award movies about themselves. So that's political too. 

I would be all in for The Disaster Artist winning Best Picture.

Looks like Valerian, Apes and Transformers saw the biggest drops. Girls Trip had a better than expected hold on Sunday, so guessing the Monday drop is compensating for that. 

The entire box office run of Apes to date looks like it has been designed specifically to troll @CJohn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, nomyth said:

Ugh. I'm so tired of this discussion. It's a clear way to undermine CERTAIN best picture winners.

The Academy is political and there's always politics that play into their decision. Every single freaking year! Do you guys really think The Departed is Scorsese's best picture? Is No Country For Old Men the best Coen Bros movie? There's always a million reasons why the film that wins best picture does happen to win that particular year. But the only time people seem to scream politics is when the film happens to feature predominantly non white casts. Now why is that...?

Well, the category is "Best Picture of the year", not "Best thing this director's ever done". I think very few people would disagree that The Departed was the best movie among the nominees that year. No Country also got really lucky that there was no typical safe "Oscar movie" competing with it, so they had no choice other than to give it to something so dark and ruthlessly unsentimental. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The Oscars are a joke. I used to love watching them - because as a movie buff obviously that's par for the course - but I just can't take it anymore. They're so predictable. You just know an artsy or indie drama film is going to win. Every time.

So what movie did you want to win last year??

Deadpool? Civil War or Rogue One?

The Oscars have managed to retain their prestige through the years. Winning an Oscar is a huge thing and it should remain so.

Unless you want them to end up like the Grammys where Beyonce's got more wins than Michael Jackson.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

You seem to go all over the place and never answer any really direct and simple question/point in the conversation.

Splits between BD and BP are ridiculous. They mean that the AMPAS knows that the movie whose director is winning should have won

Those 2 category do not compile vote the same way, for best director:

Every member allowed one vote per category. The nominee with the most votes wins.

For best picture it is a way more complicated way at doing it with removing the ballot with the less number on vote from people pile and so on, you do not have to conclude that anyone voted for Cuaron and not voted for Gravity number 1 in best picture. They do not consult themselves that much, they're is not coordination of what will happen result wise.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

So was it when the MCU launched that you stopped watching the Oscars?

• Haha 1