Finnick

Thursday Numbers: DUNKIRK:$5.19M | GT:$3.17M | SMH:$2.77M | APES:$2.02M | GRU:$1.96M | WW:$0.65M .....NOT THE WW OSCAR PUSH THREAD (take it to the WW thread)

I'd call Spider-Man: Homecoming good. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, bring the character back to prominence in "good graces" of the public's eye. Not sure what the hell needs to be said aside from that. 

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Your bias against Wonder Woman is so funny. You just cannot get over that the movie is wildly successful. Some people were hoping so badly that Wonder Woman would flop that wants to succeed it they just cannot wrap their minds around it.

Yep, that's it, even though WW is my favorite superhero movie of the year. Amongst my top 2 movies of the year. I liked it more than SH, GotgV2, and Logan.  But yeah, I'm clearly 'bias' against WW.

Give me a break.

Edited by KJsooner

2 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Yep that's it even though WW is my favorite superhero movie of the year. Amongst my top 2 movies of the year. I liked it more than SH, GotgV2, and Logan.  But yeah, I'm clearly 'bias' 

Your comment about its run not being that impressive is baffling then. Maybe you're just one of those people with ridiculously unrealistic expectations. "It should have had a 5.0 multiplier instead of a 4.0."

Edited by Zakiyyah6

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Your comment about its run not being that impressive is baffling then. Maybe you're just one of those people with ridiculously unrealistic expectations. "It should have had a 5.0 multiplier instead of a 4.0."

You'd have to be a freaking moron to not understand how impressive what WW did domestically. No superhero has ever had better legs than WW. Ever! So I apologize if I try to downplay its impressive box office performance. As far as domestic, it's probably top 2-3 runs all time in the genre. WW, worldwide is a different story. It didn't catch on like it did in the states. Deadpool was impressive bc of its R rating. WW was much more family friendly. Deadpool is probably the most shocking run ever imo. 

Edit 

On 2nd thought, WW did come out of no-where so it's probably above DP.

Edited by KJsooner
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

You'd have to be a freaking moron to not understand how impressive what WW did domestically. No superhero has ever had better legs than WW. Ever! So I apologize if I try to downplay its impressive box office performance. As far as domestic, it's probably top 2-3 runs all time in the genre. WW, worldwide is a different story. It didn't catch on like it did in the states. Deadpool was impressive bc of its R rating. WW was much more family friendly. Deadpool is probably the most shocking run ever imo. 

Edit 

On 2nd thought, WW did come out of no-where so it's probably above DP.

Except that's for Friday openers and $50M+ openers only. I think you let the headlines get into your head :P

Batman (1989) had a 6.2 multi and it ain't even the leggiest of them all so yeah... WW ain't ever getting close to that.

Still mighty impressive, but as baumer so often says -- let's not suck each other's dicks yet

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

[SM:H] does have astonishing/amazing/insane WOM. For a second reboot in less than 5 years? Fuck yeah it has. 

Ok.

That "insane/astonishing WOM" claim is evidently disproven by the film's weekly drops, but it's fine; agree to disagree about the word of mouth indeed. :)

Honestly the Spider-Man: Homecoming fanboys are acting like the BvS fanboys from last year. It just goes to show you that you shouldn't stan too hard for any thing. You shouldn't let that get in the way of what reality is.

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Ok.

That "insane/astonishing WOM" claim is evidently disproven by the film's weekly drops, but it's fine; agree to disagree about the word of mouth indeed. :)

It faced theater drops and strong competition from both Apes and Dunkirk. It has already showed strong signs that it's run is bouncing back with these weekdays drops. It's bound to go toe to toe with Vol. 2 for WW's #1 when it comes to superhero films, and who knows if Ragnarok/JL will be able to top either Vol. 2, WW or SM:H. It won't make a 4x multi neither a 3.5x multi but it's heading for a 2.8-3.0 multi. Context is everything. Context that some here love to ignore.  

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Honestly the Spider-Man: Homecoming fanboys are acting like the BvS fanboys from last year. It just goes to show you that you shouldn't stan too hard for any thing. You shouldn't let that get in the way of what reality is.

Nope. That was a poorly received film that dropped like a rock. It's not even a fair comparison:

BvS's 21th day:

$1.1m Thur, with a $302.3m cume. 

SM:H's 21th day:

$2.7m. with a 264.9m cume

BvS fell from a cliff, while SM:H is still going strong. Not as strong as GotG, but it's enjoying a run that keeps going beyond that film weekdays/weekend for some good millions. The only way for Homecoming to go below $300m OR to have a 2.6x type of run was if it fell out of a cliff and started to perform slightly above BvS from here and out. It's clearly not the case. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 2

Let me chime in kids. Gotg 4th to 7th w/e drops-

-31.5%

-0.7%

-39.4%

-29.8%

Do you see that less than 1 % drop and then less than 40% drops? Let's see if SM:H repeats that!

Also if SM:H's run is astonishing than DM3's run is out of this world. Which it's not.

• Like 3

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Who are you arguing with? I'm not projecting under 300mil.

Not arguing, just joking that baumer's 2.6x multiplier is not happening. 

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Let me chime in kids. Gotg 4th to 7th w/e drops-

-31.5%

-0.7%

-39.4%

-29.8%

Do you see that less than 1 % drop and then less than 40% drops? Let's see if SM:H repeats that!

Also if SM:H's run is astonishing than DM3's run is out of this world. Which it's not.

I've noticed that GotG's and SM:H's runs started to sync these weekdays. 

Here's what GotG's third weekdays and weekend looked like:

Mon: $2.8m

Tue: $3.5m (+21.7%) 

Wed: $2.6m (-25.3%)

Thu: $2.5m (-1.9%)

Fri: $4.8m (+87.3%)

Sat: $7.4m (+55.3%) 

Sun: $4.9m (-34.5%) 

Here's what SM:H has done so far:

Mon: $3.3m 

Tue: $4.1m (22.9%)

Wed: $2.7m (-32.5%)

Thu: $2.7m (-0,4%)

Let's see how Homecoming does this weekend. 

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Not arguing, just joking that baumer's 2.6x multiplier is not happening. 

I've noticed that GotG's and SM:H's runs started to sync these weekdays. 

Here's what GotG's third weekdays and weekend looked like:

Mon: $2.8m

Tue: $3.5m (+21.7%) 

Wed: $2.6m (-25.3%)

Thu: $2.5m (-1.9%)

Fri: $4.8m (+87.3%)

Sat: $7.4m (+55.3%) 

Sun: $4.9m (-34.5%) 

Here's what SM:H has done so far:

Mon: $3.3m 

Tue: $4.1m (22.9%)

Wed: $2.7m (-32.5%)

Thu: $2.7m (-0,4%)

Let's see how Homecoming does this weekend. 

GOTG's third weekend was right around when schools begin in the US, hence the higher jumps (and bigger Sunday drop)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'd call Spider-Man: Homecoming good. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, bring the character back to prominence in "good graces" of the public's eye. Not sure what the hell needs to be said aside from that. 

What needs to be said is they shouldn't have put him through high school 3 times.

I like Spiderman but this continual reseting his age has obviously pissed more people off than just me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyK said:

What needs to be said is they shouldn't have put him through high school 3 times.

I like Spiderman but this continual reseting his age has obviously pissed more people off than just me.

I think it'll pay off in the long run. If there's a character that can endure the sort of Harry Potter treatment to great results is Spidey. Holland could easily keep doing this for the next 15 years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I think it'll pay off in the long run. If there's a character that can endure the sort of Harry Potter treatment to great results is Spidey. Holland could easily keep doing this for the next 15 years.

This, I also agree with...having Spidey be able to be the "lynchpin" like RDJ was for the MCU universe is gonna pay off big going forward...since he's so young, and he was SO likeable in the role (just like RDJ), he can probably carry solo, spin-off, and team movies for years...heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney wanted to make him the lynch pin to their next Avengers set after the Infinity stuff...it seems the Sony/Disney relationship is a win-win for both and might have the chance to get tighter (who knows what future deals they may keep cutting to make both their studio movies better - and that's a win-win for the consumer:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, AndyChrono said:

SM:H run is just average. It's on pace for a 2.7x multiplier which is basically the MCU average multiplier. Funny enough, that also puts it on pace to finish at roughly the exact average of the Spider-Man franchise.

two movies opened on wed though which increases the multiplier by deflating the ow. for eg: even TF5's multiplier will be 2.91x (130 dom, 44.7 ow) :lol:

if you look at fri openers than it will be,

SM1 3.5x+

ASM2 2.2x+

SMH 2.6-2.7x (not bad in the previews era)