MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm confused by this Atomic Blonde controversy.

Are dudes complaining about two beautiful women making out? :sparta:

the fact that it was the centerpiece of the marketing was kinda creepy yeah. not saying I have a problem with the film having said scene. It just seems like they marketed the movie as "Hey look Lesbian sex!"

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Apparently lesbian sex scenes are still a controversial thing in certain circles in 2017.

The films marketing did try to play up the scene though, so I can't say I'm surprised.

49 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wouldn't be complaining if that's the case ... problem is there's only one hot chic... :ph34r:

I really want Valerian numbers. The Great Wall comp train must not stop.

(For those curious, TGW is currently $1,879,493 ahead of Valerian (as of Thursday numbers))

Edited by aabattery

52 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Apparently lesbian sex scenes are still a controversial thing in certain circles in 2017.

The films marketing did try to play up the scene though, so I can't say I'm surprised.

They're really not. The argument or rather discussion seems to be about if they're mainly being viewed through the male gaze - and advertised to appeal to that. 

My guess - yes and that's why it's in the movie.  It strikes a note for bi and lesbian women while at the same time not alienating pervy men.  I doubt it had any negative impact on the box office (which is pretty good for the type of release it is).

Alert me when a $30m action film in wide release has the leading man in a sex scene with another man.  And no, art house indies where at least one usually winds up dead, in jail or alone don't count.  Even in Moonlight there was far more graphic hetero sex than gay sex.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Don't pay much attention to cinemascore. Not surprised that those movies got a B though. I didn't think that Atomic Blonde was going to be the type of movie that would get an A from the opening-night audiences that they polled.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They're really not. The argument or rather discussion seems to be about if they're mainly being viewed through the male gaze - and advertised to appeal to that. 

My guess - yes and that's why it's in the movie.  It strikes a note for bi and lesbian women while at the same time not alienating pervy men.  I doubt it had any negative impact on the box office (which is pretty good for the type of release it is).

Alert me when a $30m action film in wide release has the leading man in a sex scene with another man.  And no, art house indies where at least one usually winds up dead, in jail or alone don't count.  Even in Moonlight there was far more graphic hetero sex than gay sex.

Personally I have no issue with the lesbian sex scene. Apparently Theron says that she wanted her character to be a lesbian so they could have more representation in film. Good on her.