MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

1 minute ago, Steele131 said:

Higher than the first John Wick. And no one considered that disappointing 

It was even called a surprise by some to go has high has 14m at the time:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-ouija-tops-charts-john-wick-surprises-1201339493/

Going into the weekend, “John Wick” looked like a dud. Reeves, still reeling from the epic flop that was “47 Ronin,” griped that studios no longer offered him plum roles and the action thriller looked like another nail in his career coffin. But reviews for the film about a hit man avenging the murder of his puppy were sterling, propelling the picture to $14.1 million across 2,589 locations. That was much more robust than the $7 million to $8 million opening most analysts projected the revenge thriller would make.

What changed people expectation for that movie to do much more than John Wick 1 ?

• budget going from 20m to 30m ? Probably not
  • The director and John Wick building a little brand that would help Atomic Blonde (true, probably why it made more than John Wick 1)
  • late 80's cold war Spy genre/setting vs revenge + car high concept, probably not a wash at best cold spy stuff are not a really popular genre
  • Release ? Focus instead of Liongates and different date (probably a wash there also, Liongates managed to get IMAX for John Wick and had a really nice release)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Pink, what would you grade Dunkirk.

On a letter scale.

Like, maybe it's an A-?  A?  A+?

B?  B-?  B+?

The answer lies by solving the answer to this equation:

df19.gif

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I forgot about Canada. We would have @K1stpierre and @Stutterng baumer Denbrough to chill with as well. Canada is the perfect choice.

Exactly. Canad-eh is fantastically perfect. Super nice people (seriously, if you step their foot on accident, THEY say they're sorry for having the foot there), no fucked up politicians, super nice people, no giant hentai spiders, SUPER NICE PEOPLE, and, especially good, no more 45º Summers. We'd be lucky to hit 20º in the Summer solstice :sparta:

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Sunday numbers were massively over-estimated on a few films.  

Dunkirk might come in about $1.3m lower.  Emoji around $1m lower.  

So, someone faking Gitesh might have been dead on:)...maybe my hopes weren't up for nothing:)...

11 minutes ago, nomyth said:

???? Looks like another....? What's the other film where a 'hot woman beats up men for 90 minutes with lesbian sex'? Like seriously... can't think of one.

I get if you're not interested in AB, but I don't think you can really argue that films like it come out all the time.

Blue is the Warmest Color really could have used some beating up of men. Especially since they had two hot women for 180 minutes there. Talk about a missed opportunity.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Exactly. Canad-eh is fantastically perfect. Super nice people (seriously, if you step their foot on accident, THEY say they're sorry for having the foot there), no fucked up politicians, super nice people, no giant hentai spiders, SUPER NICE PEOPLE, and, especially good, no more 45º Summers. We'd be lucky to hit 20º in the Summer solstice :sparta:

I heard people talking about Canada :wub:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

...is it actually true that you Canadians say sorry if we step your foot, though? :ph34r:

Yes.

Sorry for answering your question. Just realized you weren't talking to me. So sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

People keep talking about John Wick's "legs" and it didn't even hit a 3x or anything.

JW had a 2.98X multiplier, which is damn good for what looked to be a fanboy driven movie.
JW2 having a 3.02X multiplier is even more impressive, sequels typically don't increase like that.

Edited by Mojoguy

As for summer, it can get pretty hot here (or maybe it's just me. I was born and raised in White Rock, a suburb outside of Vancouver, which had a very moderate climate). For instance, here in Kamloops it's going to be in the high 30's this week (Celsius), going as high as 39! That's going too suck, as I'm not a heat kind of guy.

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

As for summer, it can get pretty hot here (or maybe it's just me. I was born and raised in White Rock, a suburb outside of Vancouver, which had a very moderate climate). For instance, here in Kamloops it's going to be in the high 30's this week (Celsius), going as high as 39! That's going too suck, as I'm not a heat kind of guy.

But Kamloops is straight up one of the hottest places in the country during the summer. And yea, I'm getting hit with the heat wave this week as well :(

Also, White Rock is such a nice place! I was born in North Van but only lived there till I was 7

• Like 1