MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Valerian getting dragged by DHD

As rival distributors love to say about a flop: “Don’t stand under this thing”. Of course, that’s true for EuropaCorp/STX’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets which will plummet 65% in weekend two with $5.9M. If there’s any speck of goods news about this disaster, it’s this: There are other wide releases that posted bigger second weekend tumbles including Gigli (-82%), Friday the 13th (-80%) and Fifty Shades of Grey (-74%) to name a few. 

My version of Valerian would've been fantastic. And it would've received great reviews.

cdN4yrY.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 6

18 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Have you seen SMH?

Yep.

Just like its box office run, it was IMO ok but unspectacular.

Added nothing to the SM legacy but took nothing away. Just...there.

Not surprised that its drops and overall performance have been the way they have.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Also OMG CONGRATS @Nova!!!!

7 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Congrats @Nova - Hope you two have a great life together.

8 hours ago, franfar said:

Congratulations @Nova, I'm so happy for you!!

8 hours ago, aabattery said:

Congrats @Nova.

I will accept responsibility for your success and I do expect you to name your firstborn child after me.

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the well wishes :) 

Also @aabatteryI fully expect to name my kid Duracel. Or do you think Energizer is better? Which aabattery is the way to go....🤔

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Put Taron Egerton in Valerian and I'm sure it would have been more appealing. Put him in everything actually, but just has effortless charm, even in chav mode (I may have rewatched Kingsman last night.....) 

fhK3ydK.jpg

My version would be effectively printing money at this point.

Edited by aabattery

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Spider-man movies always drop DOM.

SMH leap frogged, not one, but two Spider-man movies.

You guys are taking this for granted.

A Spider-man reboot wasn't a lock for 300 m.

It wasn't a lock for 250 m.

It wasn't a lock for 200 m.

Looking at TF5 and Apes, it wasn't a lock for 150 m.

Agree. If Sony had made a 3rd the same way as the 2 first i seriously doubt i would have made more than 140-150 mill DOM and 550 mill WW

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rth Homecoming said:

EM 9.5, DK 7.8,AB 7.2, GT 6.3,SMH 3.9, Apes 2.9,DM3 2.4, Val 1.8

4 hours ago, Finnick said:

DEADLINE WEEKEND ESTIMATES / GREAT HOLD FOR DUNKIRK!!

GIRLS TRIP WITH A GOOD HOLD, BABY DRIVER STILL HOT, SPIDERMAN WITH A DECENT HOLD....

1.) Dunkirk (WB), 3,748 theaters (+28)/ $8.2M Fri. (-58%) / 3-day cume: $28.2M (-44%)/Total: $103M/Wk 2

2.). The Emoji Movie (SONY), 4,075 theaters / $10.2M Fri. (includes $900K previews) / 3-day cume: $27.5M /Wk 1

3). Girls Trip (UNI), 2,648 theaters (+57) / $5.9M Fri. (-50%) / 3-day cume: $19.2M (-38%)/Total: $64.6M/Wk 2

4). Atomic Blonde (FOC), 3,304 theaters / $7M Fri. (includes $1.5M previews) / 3-day cume: $18.2M /Wk 1

5). Spider-Man: Homecoming (SONY/MARVEL), 3,625 theaters (-505)/ $3.8M Fri. / 3-day cume: $13.4M (-39%)/Total: $278.3M/Wk 4

6.) War for the Planet of the Apes (FOX), 3,374 theaters (-726) / $2.85M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.9M (-53%) /Total: $118.2M/Wk 3

7). Despicable Me 3 (UNI/ILL), 3,030 theaters (-495) / $2.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8M (-38%) /Total: $230.7M/ Wk 5

8). Valerian and the City of One Thousand Planets (EUR/STX), 3,553 theaters (0) / $1.73M Fri. (-73%) / 3-day cume: $5.9M (-65%)/Total: $29.7M/Wk 2

9). Baby Driver (SONY), 1,961 theaters (-542) / $1.25M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.5M (-25%)/ Total cume: $92.5M / Wk 5

10.) Wonder Woman (WB), 1,651 theaters (-320) / $1.05M Fri. (-17%)/ 3-day cume: $3.8M (-17%)/ Total: $395.7M / Wk 9

11.) The Big Sick (AMAZ/LGF), 1,589 theaters (-1,008) / $959K / 3-day cume: $3.4 M (-32%)/Total: $30.5M/Wk 6

Notables:

Detroit (ANPA), 20 theaters / $128k Fri. /PTA:$19k/ 3-day cume: $381k /Wk 1

Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power (PAR), 4 theaters / $30k Fri./PTA: $23,7k/ 3-day cume: $95K /Wk

Menashe (A24), 4 theaters / $12k Fri./PTA: $16k/ 3-day cume: $49K /Wk 1

Brigsby Bear (SPC), 3 theaters / $13k Fri./PTA: $14k/ 3-day cume: $42K /Wk 1

Why are most of the Friday numbers a little different? What Friday numbers should we go by Rth or Deadline?

Either way fantastic holds for Dunkirk and Girls Trip. It's good to see these original films doing so well this summer full of sequels including Baby Driver.

That's a pretty good number for The Emoji Movie considering the terrible reviews it has gotten. Atomic Blonde is doing decent numbers as well. I think it'll have a John Wick type run.

Spder-Man: Homecoming is starting to ease on the droppings which could help it get to over $315 million. Not much so with War for the Planet of the Apes, so disappointed in its run. What the hell happened!

And Wonder Woman is still acting beastly with those incredible holds. I am so happy for her success and I can't wait to see her again in Justice League and her sequel.

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Speaking on likeable pairings for potential blockbusters, when will someone make Jlaw and Michael B. Jordan headline a major film??

Maybe in Panther 2, she can be Monica Lyne and Jordan returns as Kilmonger.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

FTFY.

Michael-B-Jordan-Spirit-Awards-2014.jpg

mikelupita.-Jordan.jpg

Chemistry is off the charts already.

I want that too!!! My Jlaw/MBJ idea was more about him than about her. I just want him to become the ultimate leading man. I want him to be Denzel, Wesley, Will and Poitier rolled into one. He is incredible, and I am glad he is getting so many great opportunities. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I want that too!!! My Jlaw/MBJ idea was more about him than about her. I just want him to become the ultimate leading man. I want him to be Denzel, Wesley, Will and Poitier rolled into one. He is incredible, and I am glad he is getting so many great opportunities. 

MBJ will be the ultimate leading man. He has it all. It's good that he isn't rushing to headline big movies like HunnamFlop but is carefully choosing projects, building awareness. There are many actors who disappeared cause they bit more than they could chew (either due to wrong timing - too early, or because they never had it). So he's making all the right moves and then the right big move will come. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Yep.

Just like its box office run, it was IMO ok but unspectacular.

Added nothing to the SM legacy but took nothing away. Just...there.

Not surprised that its drops and overall performance have been the way they have.

Added nothing?

It's celebrates nerds, youth, blue collar identity, mechanical webshooters, Queens, Marvel Universe, etc unlike any Spider-man movie before.

Maybe these are disposable details for WW/Raimi fans but they're absolutely essential for certain lifelong Spider-man fans such as myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I've been getting my friend to watch the original Spider-Man trilogy since he saw Homecoming a week or so ago. He's never seen them, and I told him to stay away from previews, reviews, looking into source matieriel etc.

He loved all of them, but we just finished the last one a few minutes ago with a couple other friends and he said that "honestly, they're all good but the third one is the best by far. Masterpiece." Which is kinda interesting.

Like, the first is always going to be my favourite, and the second to be fair is the "best" but damn after re watching the third for the second time in a week, it's pretty fuckin great too.

I just rewatched Spider-Man 3 this week as well. I haven't seen it in years. While I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, it wasn't near the travesty I recalled and was a decent movie. 

Also... anyone else surprised at the PTA for Detroit? I mean, sure it wasn't in 5 theaters, but given the critical reception, I was expecting more. Or am I just crazy? 19k PTA seems weak to me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Added nothing?

It's celebrates nerds, youth, blue collar identity, mechanical webshooters, Queens, Marvel Universe, etc unlike any Spider-man movie before.

Maybe these are disposable details for WW/Raimi fans but they're absolutely essential for certain lifelong Spider-man fans such as myself.

Could you stop antagonizing and lumping "Raimi Fans" in a trash bag like they all hate on SMH, please?

I like both and what they accomplish in terms of characterization, thanks.

• Like 2