MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Actually not abnormal for late summer. Been this way for several years now. Even pre previews it wasn't unheard of. Add poor wom and you have a winning combo for a drop. 

I assume you mean for animation? Dunkirk and Apes both had good Saturday increases from true Friday. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

2.3x legs will take AB to 40+ after an 18 ow. Disappointing but not a flop...far from it. 30 prod budget and marketing budget which can't be much more than 50? Once all is said and done, ATOMIC HIT.

Was rooting for APES3, ATOMIC and VAL. July was SO painful.

Will feel good when DUNKIRK does 180+. Am not a Nolanite but Nolanites are most tolerable (and humorous) of fan-groups here and I like supporting them.

As a horror fan hoping ANNABELLE and IT do well in coming weeks. IT's latest trailer was too jump-scary for my liking.

No way it does 2.3.  That's sequel legs.  

The trailer for IT captured the tone of the book in ways I could only dream.  I think the movie is going to be really good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The good news for the current films is that August is diabolical.

Annabelle Creation looks like the only hit. And even at that, I think it'll make less than the first film. 

The Hitman's Bodyguard could surprise

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

What are you projecting it will do?

Probably closer to 3.  I don't really know at the moment but with summer still in full gear at least for another two weeks, it should still do well during the week.  So if I had to guess, I'd say probably 2.7-2.8.  I just don't see why it would do such a low multiplier.  It's definitely not a film people are going to rush out and see, imo.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Probably closer to 3.  I don't really know at the moment but with summer still in full gear at least for another two weeks, it should still do well during the week.  So if I had to guess, I'd say probably 2.7-2.8.  I just don't see why it would do such a low multiplier.  It's definitely not a film people are going to rush out and see, imo.

Yeah, 2.3 seems to low. Even Mummy managed 2.5x and that had a franchise fan-base. Would need 2.75-2.8x for ~50 dom. 50 would be a good O/U for AB.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

Can some of the Americans here confirm that in the state of Indiana, kids are back in school in the first week of August?  

From the international thread.....DM3 added another 35 mill from M-T.  So the overseas total is now 553 before the weekend starts.  

• Like 2

Seems like good Saturday increases for all the movies in the title, except for poor Valerian. 

I really don't understand why all these movies were crammed into June and July by studios and August is relatively light. Hitman's Bodyguard has a chance of breaking out and I really think Dark Tower may surprise and become a moderate hit as well. It kind of reminds me of The Book of Eli. 

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

In Milwaukee, the public schools go back in August 14th now.

The high schools are back then.  Most of the grade schools still go back after Labor Day

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Still a shame, that movie was real fun; it tried to be really different from all the other King Arthur adaptations and it had a great third act as well. Such a fun time at the theater.

In a similar vein I'm real glad Pirates ended up doing a bit better than we all thought after its OW. Another great time at the movie theater even if it weren't quite as good as King Arthur.

Agreed. I've always liked the King Arthur movies, so I enjoyed it. I did not see the latest Pirates. I thought it might be missing something without Knightley and Bloom. 

• Like 2

Just now, DAR said:

The high schools are back then.  Most of the grade schools still go back after Labor Day

They said mainly high schools and middle schools but most elementary schools go back the September 1st.

• Like 1

The majority of public schools in Florida go back next Thursday the 10th. The only major county I'm not seeing go back next week is Orange County; they go back on the 14th.

Pretty much every university goes back on the 21st. FSU is the only major one that isn't, and they go back a week later.

Any other weekend would have been good for Val. If it had opened on 25th August would have had two decent weekends.

Wide releases on 25th August:

All SaintsDrama Sony / Columbia Wide
Birth of the DragonAction BH Tilt Wide
Crown HeightsDrama IFC Wide
A GentlemanAction FIP Wide
Leap!Animation Weinstein Company Wide
Tulip FeverDrama Weinstein Company Wide

Wide releases on 1st September (LD)

HEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
UnlockedAction Thriller Lionsgate Premiere Wide
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

They said mainly high schools and middle schools but most elementary schools go back the September 1st.

My sister is a teacher at an MPS grade school.  I know next year they might also go to an early start.  But they would be one of the few to test it out

• Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

Any other weekend would have been good for Val. If it had opened on 25th August would have had two decent weekends.

Wide releases on 25th August:

All SaintsDrama Sony / Columbia Wide
Birth of the DragonAction BH Tilt Wide
Crown HeightsDrama IFC Wide
A GentlemanAction FIP Wide
Leap!Animation Weinstein Company Wide
Tulip FeverDrama Weinstein Company Wide

Wide releases on 1st September (LD)

HEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
UnlockedAction Thriller Lionsgate Premiere Wide

I don't know why BOM is listing so many movies as wide that weekend. The Numbers only lists Leap and Dragon.

• Like 1