MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

Girls Trip has definitely turned out to be the leggy comedy hit the marketplace was starving for. Will be interesting to see how it and Dunkirk hold up over the weeks ahead, and if/when the former will overtake the latter in both daily and weekend grosses.

Is there a way the mods can pin a list or map of the different timeframes that US students go back to school? Obviously you can't do it by the district but sometimes Deadline mentions percentages of K-12 out of/back in school in their reports, I think it would help in making predictions and also show how it differs across the country. It just seems like a topic that comes up every summer...

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And to be clear no I did not post that projection so one is free to not believe me. My feelings will stay intact. I'm sorry I just have to remember to post these things.

Anyway. Pretty solid opening for Jane Wick. If you thought John Wick's 14mil opening 3 years ago was good I don't see how one can claim Atomic Blonde's opening is bad.

I know that was directed at me and I already apologized to you for saying that. So please move on from that. It's a good projection after Friday's numbers. Again my apologies for calling you out on that before I should not have done that. Sorry buddy.:sparta:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Is there a way the mods can pin a list or map of the different timeframes that US students go back to school? Obviously you can't do it by the district but sometimes Deadline mentions percentages of K-12 out of/back in school in their reports, I think it would help in making predictions and also show how it differs across the country. It just seems like a topic that comes up every summer...

I don't know where you would even find I'm act like that. Just go to Wikipedia and look up back to school in the United States.

• Like 1

This is obviously very vague but typically the North-East coast kids are the last ones to get out of school (so late June) and the last ones to go back(first couple days of September). So anything from Maryland on up. The West and South usually go back in very early August but that's because they get out in mid-to-late May. Not 100% sure on the mid-west but I know they don't go back as late as the North-East kids. Probably more so mid-August and thus probably get out a early June. 

Again this is all vague and i probably dont even have it 100% right. I'm just using the very little information I have from various family members who live in certain parts of the country. 

Edited by Nova

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I know that was directed at me and I already apologized to you for saying that. So please move on from that. It's a good projection after Friday's numbers. Again my apologies for calling you out on that before I should not have done that. Sorry buddy.:sparta:

I'm moving on sir.

I think my 5 and 7 year old nephew's go back to school in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Thanks 1

Atomic Blonde's opening is fine. It feels like buzz peaked when the trailer landed a few months ago at the same time it screened at SXSW (following a glut of action movies didn't help either). But the budget was just $30M so it'll turn a profit soon enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Atomic Blonde's opening is fine. It feels like buzz peaked when the trailer landed a few months ago at the same time it screened at SXSW (following a glut of action movies didn't help either). But the budget was just $30M so it'll turn a profit soon enough.

I agree with this. I actually think if they didn't screen it at SXSW and allowed it to screen/officially premiere closer to its release date, it probably would have had more buzz. I know it's anecdotal but a bunch of my friends were so excited to see it when the first trailer dropped and then they completely forgot that it was coming out. They thought it already came out because it already had reviews and they had just missed it in theaters. 

I mean it officially screened 4 months ago and reactions were allowed to go up then....so like the initial reactions of it being good pretty much died out. The hype was lost.

They could have screened it I guess and just held an embargo or something like that. 

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

About 60% drop from Last weekend

60% is par. Spidey is on track for 2.7x+ multiplier after falling 62% in 2nd weekend. Don't know where Val will end. 2.7-3x off the 17 ow gives 45-51 dom : All the same considering numbers are small.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Finnick said:

GIRLS TRIP DOWN JUST 36% FROM LAST WEEK, GREAT!!!

Holy shit! 36 % off!!! I was actually worried about the Friday number. So nice to see that I had nothing to be worried about!!! This indeed looks like this year's We're the Millers (which had a 32 % second-weekend decrease).

The school start times are all over the place in America and largely depends on the state/districts and private/public.

I went to a private school in south Florida and we used to have a massive summer break (get off early may and not return till labor day) but our winter and spring breaks were pretty short.