MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

14 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

A Nolan western has the potential for 150m+, which is great for the genre. 

I think Nolan's style of directing could really work for a Western especially using IMAX cameras. 

A horror film has been suggested as a genre Nolan could direct next and actually I think he could pull it off though more on the lines of What Lies Beneath or The Shining.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 5

Girls Trip Weekly Forecast:

Aug 4: $28.4 million / $73.8 million

Aug 11: $19.9 million / $93.7 million

Aug 18: $15 million / $108.7 million

Aug 25: $8.7 million / $117.4 million

Sep 2:  $7.4 million / $124.8 million

Sep 9: $3.9 million / $128.7 million

Sep 16: $3 million / $131.7 million

Final Total: $140 million ( x 4.487 multiplier )

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Nolan's style of directing could really work for a Western especially using IMAX cameras. 

A horror film has been suggested as a genre Nolan could direct next and actually I think he could pull it off though more on the lines of What Lies Beneath or The Shining.

He could definitely do a tense "suspenseful horror" type film successfully, as opposed to a "jump-scare fest", more successfully I'd imagine.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Your theater seems to be an extreme outlier every week in one way or another. :lol:

Well the system I have isn't always perfect too, but it's close enough that I'm satisfied with it for making predictions.

For example, Atomic Blonde is looking at a weekend right around 17.9-18.2M

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

He could definitely do a tense "suspenseful horror" type film successfully, as opposed to a "jump-scare fest", more successfully I'd imagine.

I mean, what was INTERSTELLAR but a giant psychological horror film?

A son gets ostracized by his dead-beat dad, who manages to turn his own sister against him. She's blind to reason and ends up destroying their family farm and ruining an entire generation, while the saddened son dies in bleak misery. 

Who thinks of their children?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 2

Heard some interesting Bond rumors lately. I'll leave Nolan on Bond (as much as I would prefer against it) to the movie gods. He would be a great fit for The Stand.

But truthfully... thinking back to The Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar and now Dunkirk, Nolan has a thing for regular, ordinary people doing heroic deeds for the great good. And it had me thinking... I honestly... kinda want to see him do a 9/11 film. 

TOP 10 OF THE SUMMER: 2016 vs. 2017 - UPDATE (as of July 30th)

01. Wonder Woman - 395.4M

02. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - 387.8

03. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 278.4M

04. Despicable Me 3 - 230.4M

05. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 171M

06. Cars 3 - 146.4M

07. Transformers: The Last Knight - 128.8M

08. War For The Planet Of The Apes - 118.7M

09. Dunkirk - 102.8M

10. Baby Driver - 92M

TOTAL - 2.051.7B

vs.

01. Finding Dory - 467.6M

02. Captain America: Civil War - 406.9M

03. The Secret Life Of Pets - 290.8M

04. X-Men: Apocalypse - 155.4M

05. Central Intelligence - 125M

06. The Legend Of Tarzan - 121.1M

07. The Angry Birds Movie - 107M

08. Ghostbusters - 103.3M

09. The Conjuring 2 - 102.1M

10. Independence Day: Resurgence - 101.9M

TOTAL - 1.981.1B

WOW. I thought that Pets starting to take off away from Spider-Man would phase 2017, as well as the fact that '17 doesn't even have a 100M+ top 10 (yet), but nope. 2017 has a pretty big lead over 2016. Granted, Star Trek Beyond and Jason Bourne are approaching, but '17's mid-range is still bigger as a whole (the Dunkirk + Pirates + Girls Trip + Cars 3 quadfecta can handle Apocalypse + Beyond + Bourne easily). Suicide Squad remains the true dark horse of this story, really.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

A son gets ostracized by his dead-beat dad, who manages to turn his own sister against him. She's blind to reason and ends up destroying their family farm and ruining an entire generation, while the saddened son dies in bleak misery. 

Interstellar is Nolan's own version of The Shining / Alien, just set on space. Only thing missing was McConaughey running around with a space sledgehammer and attacking the crew while screaming "WHERE'S MURPH! ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!"

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Not to mention everyone was being manipulated by Dr. Brand throughout.

And Dr. Mann manipulating the team into coming to his planet.

I have a suspicion that the old lady in the end was not Coop's daughter at all but some random hag set up to manipulate him for some unknown reason (probably Tom's friends avenging his tragic ignored life).

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have seen this question asked several times this week and a few more times today about war of the Planet of the Apes. The reason, in my opinion, that it didn't open well and is having terrible legs is because it's not a fun movie and it's depressing and it does things that yourejust simply not supposed to do in a movie about animals. I can't get more specific than that without getting in the spoiler territory but I loved the first two movies and was excited to see this one and I had an abysmal time watching the movie and I can never watch this one again. I understand what they are trying to do but it completely turn me off. I can only imagine that others must have heard the same things that I'm talking about and have just stayed away.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Can some of the Americans here confirm that in the state of Indiana, kids are back in school in the first week of August?  

Northwest Indiana here. Kids go back August 14.