Finnick

Tuesday Numbers : DUNKIRK:$2.74M | EM:$2.58M | TDT:$2.44M | GT:$1.67M | SMH:$1.66M | KIDNAP:$1.45M........ WW:$400M YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

53 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

IT will break the September OW record and hold it for quite a while.

if you consider two weeks to be a long time

Lol, Kingsman/Ninjago wouldn't even take the record if IT wasn't coming out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

That 534m is amazing. I don't see a team up let alone a solo ever beating that

Team up the Avenger beat it by almost $100M .... JL might beat it too.

Although yes, I dont' think a stand alone will ever beat this .....

50 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Seems like some pretty wild speculation.

Despicable Me 3 only $40M marketing costs, while The Mummy is $150M? Yeah someone's pulling numbers blindly out of their rectum.

I think they are overestimating how much product placement reduce marketing cost vs the movie that does not have them as much (versus the movie getting much more marketing without costing more like I think it tend to be).

For example Spiderman homecoming:

According to them

Production: 175m

World theatrical Marketing: 100m

P, shipping, tax, others release cost: 0

Production + all releasing cost: 275m

Amazing Spider man 2 

Expense

Theatrical marketing:

domestic: 70.9m

intl: 75.4m

Prints

domestic: 8.46m

intl: 21m

World WPF, dues, freight, other: 16.03m

Releasing cost: 191.76m

Net direct Production: 262.95m

Production + P&A: 454.74m (180m more than their Homecoming estimate)

Revenue

Amazing spider 2 rental: 108m dbo + 199.82m intl, 307.82 on a 709m world box office or 43%, it would have been 468m using their 66% formula, over estimated the revenue by 160m.

4 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Team up the Avenger beat it by almost $100M .... JL might beat it too.

Although yes, I dont' think a stand alone will ever beat this .....

True. I was more or less talking post Avengers tho

AOU had everything going for it and still came up way short. JL coming anywhere near that total is a pipe dream

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grey ghost said:

400 m DOM for a Wonder Woman movie.

Never thought I'd live to see the day. :lol:

Well nobody thought it would turn out to be as good as it did. Plus after BVS & SS, at the time who could blame you. Still congrats to WW.

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

Yes and no. Dunkirk has held better each weekend percentage wise than Rogue Nation, it's just that Rogue Nation was coming off a higher OW total, so it finally evened up in actual gross after this weekend. Only problem is that it's difficult for Dunkirk at this point to hold any better than Rogue Nation for the next couple weeks or so. Still, it stands to make some ground this week I imagine. Should be around 4 million behind on Sunday, could be better, but I'm not sure how to judge the Wednesday drop, and Summer is drawing to a close.

True, at least Dunkirk's done great business. I still remember when a lot of people weren't sure if 100m domestic was even possible.

10 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well nobody thought it would turn out to be as good as it did. Plus after BVS & SS, at the time who could blame you. Still congrats to WW.

Most thought $250-260m maybe $300m but it smashed all expectations.

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

True, at least Dunkirk's done great business. I still remember when a lot of people weren't sure if 100m domestic was even possible.

Dunkirk was a risk but kudos with WB and Nolan for making a great film. The UK numbers so far are stunning, it's going end up being the third highest film in the UK this year after Star Wars and Beauty and the Beast. 

Edited by Jonwo

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Most thought $250-260m maybe $300m but it smashed all expectations.

Dunkirk was a risk but kudos with WB and Nolan for making a great film. The UK numbers so far are stunning, it's going end up being the third highest film in the UK this year after Star Wars and Beauty and the Beast. 

Like I said considering what had come before those numbers weren't unreasonable. I'm glad the films a success and good to boot though, since it means that future DC projects may be in good hands. I'm really interested to see how Aquaman does now.

Dunkirk's U.K. box office especially since the U.K. audiences are also primarily going to franchise films nowadays, though it's not too surprising. Still the film's done well, & Nolan can keep making big films.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Dunkirk's U.K. box office especially since the U.K. audiences are also primarily going to franchise films nowadays, though it's not too surprising. Still the film's done well, & Nolan can keep making big films.

It was always going to be successful in the UK because of the subject matter but it may end up being Nolan's biggest film in the UK beating both Dark Knight films which cracked £50m+. 

• Like 1

If It wasn't coming out I'd think Kingsman would take the Sept record hands down. The first opened to nearly 40M, which to some people was like 50+% above tracking. It had really great WOM, and it's one of those movies that people still talk about today. It's gonna get close to 60M IMO.

That being said, It's gonna do over 60 so it doesn't matter anyways :P

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'm starting to go all @iJackSparrow loonie when it comes to IT.  I just have this feeling it's going to do something really special.

I'm actually with you this time around. Not sure how big, but Get Out big or close would be amazing. I have a very strong feeling that Blade Runner 2049 will surprise as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

If It wasn't coming out I'd think Kingsman would take the Sept record hands down. The first opened to nearly 40M, which to some people was like 50+% above tracking. It had really great WOM, and it's one of those movies that people still talk about today. It's gonna get close to 60M IMO.

That being said, It's gonna do over 60 so it doesn't matter anyways :P

It's going to be a record breaking September if two or three films can crack $40m.